8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By aridaen
I decided to tackle the HVAC switching issue since I already have everything disassembled but the pod and dash. Today, while planning to check the overall vacuum, and then each relay, my usual luck struck again. Connecting the Mitivac to the black tube by the brake booster, I found that it has a leak somewhere between the brake booster and the relays. Has anyone replaced that black hose and how difficult is it? Would it be possible to couple this tube with a new one and pull it through or does the dash have to come out to replace it?
By worf
aridaen wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:19 pm I decided to tackle the HVAC switching issue since I already have everything disassembled but the pod and dash. Today, while planning to check the overall vacuum, and then each relay, my usual luck struck again. Connecting the Mitivac to the black tube by the brake booster, I found that it has a leak somewhere between the brake booster and the relays.
You tested the black vacuum line at the "naked" ends? I ask only because I have found that the rubber junction from the black line to the change-over valve bank gets tired and can be a leak source.
aridaen wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:19 pm Has anyone replaced that black hose and how difficult is it? Would it be possible to couple this tube with a new one and pull it through or does the dash have to come out to replace it?
I just looked through my pictures of that area and - while I don't have any clear pictures to post - I *think* that you can replace that line without too much trouble once you have the pod removed.

That line is zip-tied to other stuff in a couple of locations which will make it a bit "too interesting" to attempt a *blind* pull through without the pod removed.

You have to pull the pod to change the defrost vacuum actuator's rubber anyway.

But... if you have the center console out and the pod out, you've done 90% of the work to get the dash out.
By aridaen
Thanks Worf, I figured as much. I may just bite the bullet and pull the dash also. It has cracks and I don't want to have to do this again anytime soon.
The 928 Photo Thread

Phil, Interesting plaque. Too bad the shipping t[…]

Formula 1 2020 And Beyond

Agreed, I was yelling at my screen during SQ3. V[…]

Rear Brake line Seized

Just watched a video on that tool...that's bad a[…]

100% the new bearings. The others were completely […]