8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By Bertrand Daoust
I'm about to re-install the stock tensioner on my car and have a question.
Is or when the bracket circled in red is needed?
I looked at Dwayne's procedure and it's not there.
I haven't start the job yet on the car but I'm starting to look how to do.
Thanks!
By worf
It is *always* needed.

It supports the other side of the pivot bolt that takes all of the stress from the main belt tension roller.

It is a late-‘87 addition that includes a slightly different center belt cover.

I “upgrade” every ‘87 without that pivot bolt brace to the ‘88 configuration (and just take a small chunk out of the early belt cover.)
By ChrisZ
Interesting. Should it be retrofitted onto an 85/86 as well?
By worf
ChrisZ wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:00 pm Interesting. Should it be retrofitted onto an 85/86 as well?
Not straightforward.

The ‘87+ pivot bolt has its butt threaded to accept one of the three brace bolts and the pivot bolt is more-or-less permanently installed on the water pump. The water pump, architecture of the roller carrier assembly and the idler are all part of the change to belt tensioning system for MY’87.

That’s why there’s a different water pump for ‘79-‘86 and why the only old parts in common are the main roller and the plastic bushings.

You would probably need every piece of the S4 system including the tensioner. And the center timing belt cover is an unknown.
By ChrisZ
Ok, in other words pointless to do with no benefit. Things that are not the same are different :-)
By worf
ChrisZ wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:09 pm Ok, in other words pointless to do with no benefit. Things that are not the same are different :-)
I wouldn't say that it is pointless. Just expensive unless you have a "donor"

The unsupported carrier pivot bolt on the pre-'87s is a potential failure mode. It is common to find them bent. When they bend you loose tension and the belt starts tracking "funny."

But, that's dealt with by always, always getting a new one with each belt job and checking the belt system on-schedule.
Bring A Trailer finds

and gauges for fuel level, coolant temperatu[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]