8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By h2pmr
i bought it from ebay, described as not working, and looking at the pictures the LCD screen was fully black and had a crack in it.
so fitted a new LCD panel, and it now seems to just display random parts of the segments that make up the numbers when either adjuster button is pressed

anything common for this sort of fault?

cheers
Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By worf
Since it works at all, my guess is that some of the traces on the PCB board or solder joints are tired.

This is all I know about the guts of the clock. It may hold some clues. It definitely has pictures of the guts of the unit.

TWELVE-HOUR MODE FOR DIGITAL CLOCK
Michael Schmidt - 928 Owners Club
clock.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By h2pmr
thanks for the link Worf, i will try putting it in 12 hour mode and see what happens.
i left it connected to the battery after i took the pictures and the randomness of the display changes every minute so its actually working.
will let you know how i get on with it.
cheers
Phil
By worf
h2pmr wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:32 pm i left it connected to the battery after i took the pictures and the randomness of the display changes every minute so its actually working.
will let you know how i get on with it.
That's what I figured. So, my guess is that some of the traces to the individual LCD cells are compromised.
h2pmr wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:32 pm thanks for the link Worf, i will try putting it in 12 hour mode and see what happens.
No. That's not why I posted the OC doc. That doc has some pictures and disassembly steps that might help.

Putting the clock in 12-hour mode will just make fewer of the LCD cells work.
By h2pmr
took it apart and could see nothing out of place, so sprayed the board with electric cleaner and tried the screen in the other way around, thanks for the idea Smiffy , put it back together and still the same.

took it apart again and used the original rubber? contact strips and not the new ones that come with the screen and it now works :thumbup:
so either the contact strips were fractionally to small or it just decided to work correctly the 3rd time i put it back together.
cheers
Phil
worf liked this
By Stepson
Phil,
You are now to be known as "the Clock Whisperer"

:bowdown:
Bring A Trailer finds

and gauges for fuel level, coolant temperatu[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth