Racing, Drivers Education, autocross, and other motorsports
By fpena944
Went karting this past weekend at the Go Pro Motorplex here close to Charlotte:

http://www.gopromotorplex.com/

The issue I'm having is the same one I've run into when autocrossing my 996, it's that I do just average and am always 1-2 seconds behind the frontrunner. In this case I could never get any closer than 3 seconds to the winner. They were running 65s, I was at a 68.

Here is a map of the track:
image.png
My first run I kept spinning out at turn #8 probably because I was braking too late. But then when I did brake sooner, I felt like I had killed too much momentum and that probably kept my times from improving. But other than that I can't think of anywhere I could improve. I mean I drove the standard race line on all of these and on my last run I could have swore I cut at least 1-2 seconds off my time but nope, still stuck at 65.

I don't have any video to share but any general hints or advice on how to catch up to my friends?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Multi21
Need more details. Are the karts 2 stroke or 4? What's the size of the engine? How much to you weigh vs. your competition?

The spinning is due to the solid rear axle and you locking up by braking too hard. Karting is all about keeping the momentum going while balancing the kart which entails blending the brake and throttle. It takes a lot of practice, but once you get it, you can jump into anything and run fast.
By David993S
Maybe next time you can do a helmet cam or similar, Fernando. It's hard to tell where someone is losing (or not gaining) time without seeing it. It's not terribly helpful at this point, but typically, it's a combination of one or more braking points, proper apex, and throttle application, with each one individually or in combination being the issue on different corners. And as you know, with karts is all about momentum. See what your lap times are next time with a different kart. It's possible (but probably not 3 seconds possible) your kart was a little underpowered. Those things usually aren't equal regarding maintenance, hp, etc.

I guess the Scuderia Ferrari won't be ringing you up to take LeClerc's place. :wink:
By fpena944
Multi21 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:13 pm Need more details. Are the karts 2 stroke or 4? What's the size of the engine? How much to you weigh vs. your competition?

The spinning is due to the solid rear axle and you locking up by braking too hard. Karting is all about keeping the momentum going while balancing the kart which entails blending the brake and throttle. It takes a lot of practice, but once you get it, you can jump into anything and run fast.
4 stroke engines, not sure about any other details except the say, "reaching speeds up to 55mph in our 13 Horsepower rental karts".

I pretty much kept off the brake except for turn #8 and a couple of other turns where I featured the brake or throttle. If it makes a difference, first time for me at that track or those karts.
David993S wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:04 am Maybe next time you can do a helmet cam or similar, Fernando. It's hard to tell where someone is losing (or not gaining) time without seeing it. It's not terribly helpful at this point, but typically, it's a combination of one or more braking points, proper apex, and throttle application, with each one individually or in combination being the issue on different corners. And as you know, with karts is all about momentum. See what your lap times are next time with a different kart. It's possible (but probably not 3 seconds possible) your kart was a little underpowered. Those things usually aren't equal regarding maintenance, hp, etc.

I guess the Scuderia Ferrari won't be ringing you up to take LeClerc's place. :wink:
I didn't think to bring my GoPro but I'll do that next time as I really need some criticism on what I'm doing wrong. As I mentioned before I have the same problem with autocrossing so fundamentally I believe I'm doing something to sabotage my results.

I did 3 different races in 3 different karts so I'm pretty sure it's the driver :biggrin:

Plus while autocrossing I remember having one of the instructors take my 996 on a run and he was able to get times closer to the leaders than I was.

So yeah, maybe it's a good idea I didn't hold out to become a pro driver!

N_Jay wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:31 pm How often do you cart?
How often do the leading guys cart?
This was my first time there. I did go karting at the indoor electric place by the Concord airport (K1) about a month ago and had pretty much the same outcome.

The leader had gone one time before me but he plays iRacing quite often so maybe that helps with his technique? Not sure but yeah, I stink...
By Scott at Team Harco
Some basic remarks. Take them for what they're worth.

It takes a long time to learn how to drive quickly. It's not something that is learned right away.
It takes a lot of practice.

It is also helpful to observe others in the areas you believe you are having trouble. Is their line different? Are they carrying more speed (if so why)? Where do they begin braking? Further breakdown of braking includes trail-braking and threshold braking.

It is also worthwhile getting instruction. Either inside, or out side the car (kart). There is no shame in asking for help or to have someone observe your driving and provide feedback. You may find you need to unlearn bad habits/ technique.

There are also plenty of good books on driving. Reading and applying what you learn, will pay off.
David993S liked this
By fpena944
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:25 pm Some basic remarks. Take them for what they're worth.

It takes a long time to learn how to drive quickly. It's not something that is learned right away.

It is also helpful to observe others in the areas you believe you are having trouble. Is their line different? Are they carrying more speed (if so why)? Where do they begin braking? Further breakdown of braking includes trail-braking and threshold braking.

It is also worthwhile getting instruction. Either inside, or out side the car (kart). There is no shame in asking for help or to have someone observe your driving and provide feedback. You may find you need to unlearn bad habits/ technique.

There are also plenty of good books on driving. Reading and applying what you learn, will pay off.
I'm going to ask my friend what he did to get those times. He loves carving up the mountain roads on his 991 Turbo S so likely has a few tricks up his sleeve that I'm missing.

But next time I go, I'm bringing the GoPro so I can get roasted about my bad habits!
N_Jay wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:19 pm Just do corporate events.

Even a little autcrossing is enough to embarrass you boss. ;)
Good idea! It won't work for me with golf though, I'm even worse at that than autocrossing! :roflmao:
By N_Jay
fpena944 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:42 am
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:25 pm Some basic remarks. Take them for what they're worth.

I'm going to ask my friend what he did to get those times. He loves carving up the mountain roads on his 991 Turbo S so likely has a few tricks up his sleeve that I'm missing.

But next time I go, I'm bringing the GoPro so I can get roasted about my bad habits!
N_Jay wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:19 pm Just do corporate events.

Even a little autcrossing is enough to embarrass you boss. ;)
Good idea! It won't work for me with golf though, I'm even worse at that than autocrossing! :roflmao:
LOL, Golf? Isn't that a race team?
By fpena944
David993S wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:31 am Face it Fernando. Open wheel is a young man's game. :lol2:
Hey they have fenders! :biggrin:
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By eflight
That looks like fun. nothing like that around here.

I may be passing through that area in a few weeks, may have to stop and check it out.
By fpena944
eflight wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:36 pm That looks like fun. nothing like that around here.

I may be passing through that area in a few weeks, may have to stop and check it out.
Let me know if you do end up in the area. Would love to meet up and show you just how bad I am at karting! :beerchug:
By eflight
fpena944 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:55 pm
eflight wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:36 pm That looks like fun. nothing like that around here.

Let me know if you do end up in the area. Would love to meet up and show you just how bad I am at karting! :beerchug:
Lol, you will find someone far worse than you in that process :)
By eflight
Was able to give it a try
Sorry Fernando, but our travel plans kept changing so wasn't able to commit to a time. May be able 2 on the way home

My best lap was 69.3. That was on race 2 of 3. First race best lap was 73 . Each car was diffeent,made it harder to get better. Not too bad for my first time at it. I do have to admit I was pretty much alone most of the time, only 4 or 5 others in the group. World take many more laps to get better and learning where to brake better

For some reason the track data is not on the web site

I have read in the past to hold the gas down during the braking to keep the engine revs up, but I was unable to make that transition.

Was amazed at the amount of money that appears to be tied to this kart track. Nothing like this track near me, maybe that's a good thing for my wallet

Want to try again if travel plans allow

And that girl at the counter with the brown eyes and killer smile, wow.
By fpena944
eflight wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:59 pm Was able to give it a try
Sorry Fernando, but our travel plans kept changing so wasn't able to commit to a time. May be able 2 on the way home

My best lap was 69.3. That was on race 2 of 3. First race best lap was 73 . Each car was diffeent,made it harder to get better. Not too bad for my first time at it. I do have to admit I was pretty much alone most of the time, only 4 or 5 others in the group. World take many more laps to get better and learning where to brake better

For some reason the track data is not on the web site

I have read in the past to hold the gas down during the braking to keep the engine revs up, but I was unable to make that transition.

Was amazed at the amount of money that appears to be tied to this kart track. Nothing like this track near me, maybe that's a good thing for my wallet

Want to try again if travel plans allow

And that girl at the counter with the brown eyes and killer smile, wow.
Happy to hear you made it to the track. Yeah it really is a special treat that we have this in our area. I've always wanted to go but never made the time for it until recently. No worries on getting together, my schedule has been kind of crazy lately as well.

So it seems you ended up with about the same lap time as I did. Never thought to consider the difference in vehicles but you might be right that some of the cars could be a little better tuned than others. I also noticed the lugging of the engine at low RPMs and thought that might be one reason I was not maximizing my laps.

I hope to get out there again soon and will video my session so I can open myself up to criticism.

Oh and yes these owners know their audience and do a good job selecting the talent behind the counter! :biggrin:
By eflight
Left Fl and drove all day. As luck would happen we stopped right near the track. Wife says I should go again. I looked up the start time and the tack is closed for rentals because the pros are using it. Oh well, maybe next year.

I started looking more around new england and all I can find are indoor tracks that are all turns. I may give one of those a try, but doubt they will be as fun as the gopro track
fpena944 liked this

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]