By Streck-Fu
Pretty and tempting but I don't believe Italian sports cars should be black...or white for that matter ....or be owned out of warranty.

https://www.terryleehyundai.com/invento ... 8f1143464/

By N_Jay
If it was silver, blue or maybe a nice shade or red of green my wife would love it.

Seriously, how bad can it be. It is not overly high strung, and they made a decent number to get eh bugs worked out.

(OK, you are talking to a guy who started driving in old Fiats.)
By tooloud10
I have a neighbor that DDed a Ghibli for the last few years. I noticed that there was a Lincoln Continental in its spot the other day. Personally, I wouldn't want either of those cars--if I was going to drive an Italian it would be a Ferrari, Lambo, or maybe an Alfa 4C.
Streck-Fu liked this
By AKSteve
I was lusting after a 2007 599 GTB earlier this year. Silverstone Gray, with Burgundy interior. Only 29k miles on it. I just couldn't get myself to go through with it with there being no dealership in Alaska for service. Oh, someday I will get a Ferrari. Even if it's just for one summer and then sell it.

https://www.parkplaceltd.com/used-cars/ ... A370154694

I definitely feel a tinge of regret over not buying it. I've heard the 599 is currently the best used Ferrari to shop for as far as bang for the buck.
By Streck-Fu
tooloud10 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:16 pm I have a neighbor that DDed a Ghibli for the last few years. I noticed that there was a Lincoln Continental in its spot the other day. Personally, I wouldn't want either of those cars--if I was going to drive an Italian it would be a Ferrari, Lambo, or maybe an Alfa 4C.
Just for fun convertible action, I'd seriously consider a late 80s Alfa Spyder. Under $15k and they made a ton of them so parts should be out there. With the better late fuel injection and no crazy computers, an owner should be able to work on them. Recently saw a 1987 Spider Veloce for under $13k.... I should look for it again.

And the new Alfas are simply stunning.
By Airkuhl
Streck-Fu wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:23 pm Pretty and tempting but I don't believe Italian sports cars should be black...or white for that matter ....or be owned out of warranty.

No way I could own one, that damn Joe Walsh song would be stuck in my head so bad I'd stab myself in the ear with the key.
By Streck-Fu
Airkuhl wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:11 pm
Streck-Fu wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:23 pm Pretty and tempting but I don't believe Italian sports cars should be black...or white for that matter ....or be owned out of warranty.

No way I could own one, that damn Joe Walsh song would be stuck in my head so bad I'd stab myself in the ear with the key.

So your Maserati would would not go 185?
You have your license and can still drive?
By Airkuhl
Streck-Fu wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:33 am
Airkuhl wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:11 pm

So your Maserati would would not go 185?
You have your license and can still drive?

You bastard.
By linderpat

or bought at a Hyundai dealership
By Streck-Fu
linderpat wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:31 pm

or bought at a Hyundai dealership
To be fair, I'd bet they traded for a Genesis.
By ranger22
Build quality on those are total crap. Run run away!

Those of you thinking an older Italian was made in high quantities “so there should be parts” have no idea what you’re in for. Italians don’t do documentation and they grab whatever fukin part sorta fits the requirements to build a car and get it out the door. They aren’t like Porsche, parts may be numbered, but there will be 10 designs with the same number that “should” or “oughta” fit. F that!
By milrad
AKSteve wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:50 am I was lusting after a 2007 599 GTB earlier this year....

I definitely feel a tinge of regret over not buying it. I've heard the 599 is currently the best used Ferrari to shop for as far as bang for the buck.
I've been watching them closely, and have bid on a few. They've gone up ~$50k in the last 6 months or so.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009- ... 599-gtb-8/

I won't be hanging around at the end for this one, most likely. Probably cracks $200k.

Back on topic...I like how the Ghibli looks. I've heard nothing but horror stories about the reliability of the early ones. And too complicated to work on yourself. No way I'd do it out of warranty unless it was super cheap and I was prepared for the aggravation.
By Streck-Fu
Streck-Fu wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:21 am And the new Alfas are simply stunning.
More realistically, the Alphas are really nice and seem to be much more reliable in the past...

By DAVfoto
I was oh so close to buying a Ghibli sq4 for the wife and instead got a bmw x2, x2 will be cheaper to maintain for the most part and better on fuel.
By Airkuhl
milrad wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:47 pm
AKSteve wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:50 am I was lusting after a 2007 599 GTB earlier this year....

I've been watching them closely, and have bid on a few. They've gone up ~$50k in the last 6 months or so.

I won't be hanging around at the end for this one, most likely. Probably cracks $200k.
Wow, that 599 is gorgeous. Perfect color combo and seems well taken care of.

Ferrari did something with their design and manufacturing processes somewhere around 1999. Ferraris made since then tend to be mostly reliable and easy to live with. So anything from a 360 or newer that has been well cared for is a relatively safe way to get into ownership.

A clean and well maintained 599 even at $200K these days is a bargain. It was their GT supercar at the time, 600+HP yet large and upright enough to be a daily driver. A less expensive and sportier option would be a 360 or a 430, both are mid-engine sports cars rather than large, front engine V12 GT cars and are much lighter, better handling and frankly more fun to drive, if somewhat less practical.

These newer Ferraris are much like 911's in that they love regular maintenance and they hate sitting still. Garage queens tend to have the most issues unless properly cared for. I would not shy away from a higher mileage 360, 430, 599 or newer if well documented, they tend to be relative bargains since many Ferrari guys still obsess over mileage and overlook them.
By milrad
Airkuhl wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:29 am

Ferrari did something with their design and manufacturing processes somewhere around 1999. Ferraris made since then tend to be mostly reliable and easy to live with. So anything from a 360 or newer that has been well cared for is a relatively safe way to get into ownership.

A clean and well maintained 599 even at $200K these days is a bargain. It was their GT supercar at the time, 600+HP yet large and upright enough to be a daily driver. A less expensive and sportier option would be a 360 or a 430, both are mid-engine sports cars rather than large, front engine V12 GT cars and are much lighter, better handling and frankly more fun to drive, if somewhat less practical.

These newer Ferraris are much like 911's in that they love regular maintenance and they hate sitting still. Garage queens tend to have the most issues unless properly cared for. I would not shy away from a higher mileage 360, 430, 599 or newer if well documented, they tend to be relative bargains since many Ferrari guys still obsess over mileage and overlook them.
I bailed out in third place. Ended at $210k. Car was really nice, and an uncommon color.
By SeanR
milrad wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:03 pm
Airkuhl wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:29 am

I bailed out in third place. Ended at $210k. Car was really nice, and an uncommon color.

Yea..........But............
By milrad
SeanR wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:34 am
...ok, I did embark upon used Italian car ownership. :hiding: Can it be worse than keeping coolant in a supercharged 928?

But I've derailed Streck's thread far enough!
By Airkuhl
milrad wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:48 am
SeanR wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:34 am
But I've derailed Streck's thread far enough!
Screw that, he put that Joe Walsh song in my head, all bets are off.

I'm very interested in your driving impressions, especially after you get a chance to do a road trip.

I came very close to buying an F12, I actually had the paperwork. It was Grigio Titanio with a Choccolato interior with the carbon racing seats. But then I drove a Portofino and decided it was a better choice for me, mostly because I have such a short driving season up here the drop-top was the deciding factor. Still miss that V12 sound though.

Anyway, enjoy and know that you have a free car. I can sell mine for $50K more than I paid and you soon will too. :beerchug:
By fast_freddy
The wife was very curious about a Quattroporte. There was one for sale locally and I told her to go check it out on her own and look past the name Maserati. She knows absolutely nothing about cars. She returned with nothing but criticism of the build quality and huge gaps in the interior bits not to mention the inconsistent gaps on the body panels. She did like the way it sounded though. She's got a Panamera S now and is delighted
milrad liked this
By Airkuhl
milrad wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:03 pm I bailed out in third place. Ended at $210k. Car was really nice, and an uncommon color.
There's another one on the market right now, "Resale Red" but under 3K miles, the interior looks showroom new, and can probably be had under $200K. PM if interested.

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]