By jschiller
I am considering moving into an S-Class w222, specifically the S 550 pre-facelift, after I move my BMW 740il and M5 off my driveway. Any ownership experiences among the members out there? Things to look for before buying? Horror stories, things to avoid? I'm not particularly interested in 4Matic and don't really want the active body control unless it was not an option. Just something to comfort my ageing lard ass as I motor to the grocery and buy expensive gasoline :(
By fast_freddy
I've got a W216 CL. ABC is terrific. don't worry about it. Most repairs are just O-rings and such. the compressors/valve blocks/accumulators are bulletproof unless they're running all the time due to a leak. The bleed of the system is a super easy DIY too.

Sometimes some of the control systems (center console/Voice control module/Fuses) are wonky. Most parts are easily findable on Ebay and easily DIY-able. My center console "shorted" due to a sticky button. Replaced the module (easy on a CL/S class coupe, tougher on a Sedan) in 20~ minutes and pulled the fuse/reinstalled. All problems solved for $180~ and perhaps an hour of my time. Get a Mercedes "star tool" or similar and it's all pretty easy to figure out/repair.

A few weeks ago I did a down and back to Manhattan (600 miles in one day) in the CL and wasn't wiped out from the drive. I've done it in my 745Li quite a few times and while good, it's not nearly as good as the CL "smoothness-wise" largely due to ABC. Our roads are awful up here. Was just where you are and the roads are exponentially better/smoother there.
By fast_freddy
jschiller wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:39 pm I am considering moving into an S-Class w222, specifically the S 550 pre-facelift, after I move my BMW 740il and M5 off my driveway. Any ownership experiences among the members out there? Things to look for before buying? Horror stories, things to avoid? I'm not particularly interested in 4Matic and don't really want the active body control unless it was not an option. Just something to comfort my ageing lard ass as I motor to the grocery and buy expensive gasoline :(
Looks like you've acquired a 2015 S550? enjoying it?

I'm in the process of getting a 221/222 S600/S63/S65. The CL63 is certainly my car of choice for long drives. However, space is seriously lacking for more than two people and I'm looking for an excuse to get another AMG.
By jschiller
Absolutely I am enjoying it! Silky smooth, quiet, plush and will carry a Little League baseball team if I ever have to. Still trying to figure out all the gadgets though (the owners and the infotainment manuals are for sh*t).

The 4 door S65 sounds just right for you but awfully scarce I think. Certainly none available around here in SW Florida.
fast_freddy liked this
By fast_freddy
jschiller wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:43 pm Absolutely I am enjoying it! Silky smooth, quiet, plush and will carry a Little League baseball team if I ever have to. Still trying to figure out all the gadgets though (the owners and the infotainment manuals are for sh*t).

The 4 door S65 sounds just right for you but awfully scarce I think. Certainly none available around here in SW Florida.
I found an S65 AMG in Ohio. They don't have quite the demand you'd think considering the supply is low. People are freaked out by the V12. The one I've found has complete crap wheels on it. "He's spinnin' on twenty twos!" That gives me pause as anyone whos aching to pimp their car that much is a damn fool who doesn't grasp what the car was designed for. The maintenance records are a little suspect too. It does look nice from the pics but that doesn't ever reveal the whole picture though. There's a S63 in Bethlehem PA too. That one was repossessed at some point and has suspect titling. Also the owner who had the car yanked from him drove it 12k miles in 8~ months. It leads me to believe he was overusing it while he could. Also, part of the maintenance records indicate "piston" replaced but not much more detail than that. Engine piston? Brake caliper piston? Who the hell knows???

My instincts on this nonsense has served me well thus far and I'm not going to ignore it, just approach it with caution. I'll be 50~ miles away from the one in PA Saturday and might find the time to check it out. We'll see.
By TRAKCAR
Had a bunch of S class and CL over the years all V8 V12.. 450SEL 6.9 CL65 S63coupe… were pretty cool as was my 500E

But back to where it all started, just picked up a white 1999 S500 with 50K miles original Florida car.

Paid to much and have a bunch of stuff to fix but it looks very clean inside and out. Like new.

19” AMG monoblocks need de chromed and brought back to original, lower it a bit.

Bought it Friday 6PM, bought ticket to NY and drove it 1300 miles back at good speed and was home Sunday afternoon. 2 fill-ups. Love the thing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By fast_freddy
TRAKCAR wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:25 pm Had a bunch of S class and CL over the years all V8 V12.. 450SEL 6.9 CL65 S63coupe… were pretty cool as was my 500E

But back to where it all started, just picked up a white 1999 S500 with 50K miles original Florida car.

Paid to much and have a bunch of stuff to fix but it looks very clean inside and out. Like new.

19” AMG monoblocks need de chromed and brought back to original, lower it a bit.

Bought it Friday 6PM, bought ticket to NY and drove it 1300 miles back at good speed and was home Sunday afternoon. 2 fill-ups. Love the thing.
Enjoy!

There are few cars better for long highway trips just like you did. I've got two S classes now. Both W221's with an S600 and S65. I bought the S65 as an opportunity as it was uber cheap (ABC issues - shocks were fine - just a valve block needed to be re o-ringed, plus Rodeo and two pressure accumulators) a few suspension bushings, engine mounts, pads, the usual. It's been fun, wow that lump is amazing. However, for it's intended purpose it's just too much of everything AMG. The S65 is going on the block next spring, if I only make a few $G, I'll be delighted as it was the second car of this sort I straightened out (did an S600 for a colleague with the same suspension issues as the S65 and sorted my S600 just a little) and I learned a bit.

The S600 of which your car (the ultimate over the top quality S class) is an earlier iteration of sorts of, is magnificent. You just waft down the road, it teleports you to speed, you feel no bumps the seats are uber supportive as well as massage function and it's dead silent. Ohhhhh baby. The generation between yours and mine just sucked, looks and quality wise.

Is yours an airmatic car? It has the ridiculous power rear view mirror (amongst a bunch of other details that weren't overlooked) if I'm not mistaken? Love it!
TRAKCAR liked this
By Cuda911
N_Jay wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:49 pmClassic style!
Agree. Nice ride! (I always think those headlight wipers are a bit weird though).
By TRAKCAR
fast_freddy wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:53 pm
TRAKCAR wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:25 pm Had a bunch of S class and CL over the years all V8 V12.. 450SEL 6.9 CL65 S63coupe… were pretty cool as was my 500E

Enjoy!

There are few cars better for long highway trips just like you did. I've got two S classes now. Both W221's with an S600 and S65. I bought the S65 as an opportunity as it was uber cheap (ABC issues - shocks were fine - just a valve block needed to be re o-ringed, plus Rodeo and two pressure accumulators) a few suspension bushings, engine mounts, pads, the usual. It's been fun, wow that lump is amazing. However, for it's intended purpose it's just too much of everything AMG. The S65 is going on the block next spring, if I only make a few $G, I'll be delighted as it was the second car of this sort I straightened out (did an S600 for a colleague with the same suspension issues as the S65 and sorted my S600 just a little) and I learned a bit.

The S600 of which your car (the ultimate over the top quality S class) is an earlier iteration of sorts of, is magnificent. You just waft down the road, it teleports you to speed, you feel no bumps the seats are uber supportive as well as massage function and it's dead silent. Ohhhhh baby. The generation between yours and mine just sucked, looks and quality wise.

Is yours an airmatic car? It has the ridiculous power rear view mirror (amongst a bunch of other details that weren't overlooked) if I'm not mistaken? Love it!
That rodeo stuff was awesome. Never had an ABC car without warranty.. Or any Sclass really till this one.

No mine is on 1 3/4” shorter coil springs with oem shocks and self leveling and 19”. The car drives incredibly well oem, but even with my best attempts to make it undrivable with the springs spacers and wheels it rides much better than a Cayenne GTS in comfort setting.

All 95-99 were decontented.

Mine doesn’t have the backup antenna’s not the optional parktronic which is very cool looking but I was looking for a zero option car. Less to break. It has 1 option, orthopedic seats and they do t work LOL. Everything else does.

But later models have the non bio degradable wiring harness and a five speed auto. Mine is ‘99.

Big steering wheel, massive inputs to make it do anything but it wafts very nicely up to 120 then it gets a bit loud and need two hands on the wheel.

I do miss the massage function of the later years, had it on 100% of the time hahaha….

I’ll always have Sclass for puttering around and Porsche for the track. I’ve taken the GT4RS to the track but I’m taking the 25 year old car every time and they’re sitting side by side… maybe GT3RS (matching white / silver wheels) will change that.
By TRAKCAR
Cuda911 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:40 am
N_Jay wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:49 pmClassic style!
Agree. Nice ride! (I always think those headlight wipers are a bit weird though).
Your electric antenna was so 1980, head lamp wipers was partying like 1999 hahaha.

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]