8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By Geza-aka-Zombo
I've been finding a puddle of coolant on the floor under the middle rear of the engine (from the belly pans - it looks like it's coming from the right rear) and an empty reservoir of late. The cooling system holds pressure while driving/hot, but apparently leaks when cool on an intermittent basis. Finally dug into it and found the issue.

Based on the little flakes of material, the tube ending appears to have been adhesive bonded into the cast fitting. I don't see any evidence of brazing/soldering. Does anyone have insight into this? I am planning on using a high strength adhesive to reinstall. Thoughts?
By h2pmr
never seen that before, i guess the tube will be an interference fit into the housing, if it easily pushes into the housing now i would just get a second hand one.

those look quite new hose clips, has the hose been replaced recently?
which could be the cause of the pipe coming out of the housing, always best to cut an old rubber hose off rather than try to pull /twist it off

if its still a good tight fit you could try a good heat/water resistant bond and see how that works.

good luck.

cheers
Phil
By Bertrand Daoust
I had a problem with that part too.
Never knew what happened.
I put a new (to me) part.
By Geza-aka-Zombo
Yes, new hose/clamps/heater valve, etc. when I did my intake refresh 18 months ago. I bonded it back in place using SteelStik, which is pretty good stuff. I used it to reinforce the rear hatch lock housing a few years ago. Perhaps the fix will last another 35 years...

Just got back from test ride, everything seems OK. I have no reason the think the problem isn't resolved. Thanks all!
By worf
Know issue with pre-‘89 part.

Buy the ‘89+ part: it’s a single piece. Be done with it.

‘89 IIRC. Might be ‘90. Or, it might be that the single-piece part supersedes all.
By UKKid35
Had a hard time finding a leak once

No puddle under the car, no sign of leak under the bonnet, even with the engine idling

The cause was a pin hole leak in one of the heater hoses, completely hidden from view

The hose only leaked when the engine was over 2000 revs, and sprayed on to the undertray
By Adamant1971
A 89 Euro 5 spd that I restored had that same failure. Oddly the one on my 87 is still going strong.
By ChrisZ
Yup, had the exact same part fail on my 87 944S. Replaced it with a new one, been fine for last 20 or so years.
Ineos Grenadier

Anyone have any experience with the Ineos Grenadie[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]