Mid-engine cars
By Cuda911
OK, filling out more model lines in the forums! Here are my '07 and '14:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By saabin
^ Nice collection.. Here's my '14 CS. I find myself driving it more than my turbo..

20190511_085711.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Fox_
I'm getting wayyyy ahead of myself here, but need something to motivate I guess.

What are the good, if any, buys in the Cayman market?

Is a Cayman livable as a sole DD?
By saabin
^
Lots of good buys, really depends on if you want a 987 or 981 and what your budget is. The base 981 is a good value now that some really like.

I've owned both a base 987.1 and a 981CS. The 981 is (obviously) much better and refined..

You could DD a Cayman easily if you are a single guy w/ no kids OR you dont need a lot of space to haul stuff. Gets a little tougher if you are married w/ a family. I fall into the 2nd category, but it's not my only car so no concern.. but I do enjoy driving it as much as I can :D
By N_Jay
What is the bottom dollar for a decent Cayman or Cayman S, assuming it needs to be reliable enough for club touring events and low-key autocrossing, and I don't mind turning a wrench?

At what point do you say "too cheap, must be a problem hiding in there"?
By Cuda911
N_Jay wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:19 pm What is the bottom dollar for a decent Cayman or Cayman S, assuming it needs to be reliable enough for club touring events and low-key autocrossing, and I don't mind turning a wrench?

You can find a good one for about 15 to 20k. An older higher-mileage one you can find for much less. Go for '09 or later, avoid the IMSB issue.
By Fox_
saabin wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:07 pm ^
Lots of good buys, really depends on if you want a 987 or 981 and what your budget is. The base 981 is a good value now that some really like.

I've owned both a base 987.1 and a 981CS. The 981 is (obviously) much better and refined..

You could DD a Cayman easily if you are a single guy w/ no kids OR you dont need a lot of space to haul stuff. Gets a little tougher if you are married w/ a family. I fall into the 2nd category, but it's not my only car so no concern.. but I do enjoy driving it as much as I can :D
I would be after a 981.

There was a white 2014 in the showroom when I bought my Audi, wanted one since.
By worf
How about a 987 and a 981 forum and not propagate rennlist insanity vis-a-vis its organization of non-911 forums? Else let’s just have convertible/cabriolet forum and coupe forum. :?:
By N_Jay
Cuda911 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:56 pm
N_Jay wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:19 pm What is the bottom dollar for a decent Cayman or Cayman S, assuming it needs to be reliable enough for club touring events and low-key autocrossing, and I don't mind turning a wrench?

You can find a good one for about 15 to 20k. An older higher-mileage one you can find for much less. Go for '09 or later, avoid the IMSB issue.
Guessing 2021 right now as I start figuring out the rules around RMDs from an inherited IRA.
By Alansglide
That 14 red Cayman is a sharp looking car Mike.
By Cuda911
Alansglide wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:45 am That 14 red Cayman is a sharp looking car Mike.
Thx!
By K964
Picked up this 14 Base Cayman as my track car. Just got tired of a dedicated track vehicle that required a trailer and tow vehicle. Found this 13k mile, 2 year CPO Car at my local dealer. First mid engine P car and to say Im impressed would be an understatement. Is it the fastest thing out there? Hell no. But man o man, nothing like driving a slow car fast. And giving fits to fast cars driven by mediocre drivers. Car is debadged at rear—-people ask me if it’s an S.... This is should have been the size of the 911 instead of the behemoth it has become.
By K964
Oops. Pic below
BB3EBD15-EBCE-43DC-946C-2719EF107EF2.jpeg
TheDeckMan liked this
By Mark Dreyer
Trying out the new forum. After 10 years of tracking a dedicated track car with a track support company, I’ve gone full circle, selling the 986S “Boxzilla” and purchased this dual street/track 14 CS. It’s fun having a few more ponies to help keep up with all the bigger hp cars nowadays. The trackside motorhome makes for a comfortable trackside experience also.
TheDeckMan liked this
By JRMaroon
2014 S with PDK. Fun car and need to drive it more.
By TheDeckMan
Mark Dreyer wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:48 pm Trying out the new forum. After 10 years of tracking a dedicated track car with a track support company, I’ve gone full circle, selling the 986S “Boxzilla” and purchased this dual street/track 14 CS. It’s fun having a few more ponies to help keep up with all the bigger hp cars nowadays. The trackside motorhome makes for a comfortable trackside experience also.

Killer setup! Caymans do seem to be that perfect size now as everything after the 997's are huge IMO. Been tossing around the idea of next cross shopping a GT4 vs 996 GT3 vs Gallardo.
By saabin
Finally got around to installing the X73 sport suspension kit for my 981 Cayman S. The kit includes front/rear struts, font/rear swaybars, and all the misc. new fasteners you need.

It's a good compromise vs a true track-focused set of hardware.. the car rides 20mm lower than stock and just is a slight bit bumpier on less than ideal roads. I got a slightly more aggressive alignment and it handles like a true slot car now. I like it because it's all Porsche parts and just like if the car had been ordered from the factory with the X73 box checked. And in the land of Porsche prices, about $1600 all in wasn't bad.

The install wasn't hard, but took a fair amount of time (2 days) and required lowering the front subframe to get the front swaybar swapped. My impact wrench came in handy. To anyone considering this upgrade, I'd say go for it..

By fast_freddy
Fox_ wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:55 pm I'm getting wayyyy ahead of myself here, but need something to motivate I guess.

What are the good, if any, buys in the Cayman market?

Is a Cayman livable as a sole DD?
Very much so. There plenty of room in the trunk and frunk for grocery shopping but perhaps not a full retard Costco shop. We took it to my kids parents weekend last week. Plenty of room for all of our stuff and the stuff we brought for our kids and the both of us. Bring kids? Fuck that. Buzzkills. :tongue:
amdavid liked this
By fpena944
Mark Dreyer wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:48 pm Trying out the new forum. After 10 years of tracking a dedicated track car with a track support company, I’ve gone full circle, selling the 986S “Boxzilla” and purchased this dual street/track 14 CS. It’s fun having a few more ponies to help keep up with all the bigger hp cars nowadays. The trackside motorhome makes for a comfortable trackside experience also.
Old message but now that I'm part of the brotherhood - wow I'm impressed!!!

That was one of my reasons for getting this car, to try it out as a track car. That'll be next year though as track season is over now here in NC.
Bring A Trailer finds

and gauges for fuel level, coolant temperatu[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]