By TheDeckMan
Money, sweat, tears; The eternal battle of Corrado Ownership

A little over sixteen years ago I decided to replace the Corrado G60 with the ultimate Corrado a 1993 Corrado SLC. After narrowing down the search I found this one in Northern NJ, the car had a Race Shop head, black leather and a Shine suspension in it. Driving down with a truck and U-haul trailer on a warm February morning with my old mentor Denis, we loaded up the car and made back to W.Mass in good time with a stop at Hooters along the way.
Originally the plan was to just drive it and clean it up paint ect as it was a 7/10 car with 131k miles on it. However fate would change only a couple weeks later when out for a drive with some friends I managed to bend all the valves in the head with an over-rev going wide open throttle up a hill in 2nd gear. The car had a semi homemade short shift kit of questionable quality, this along with the slop in the shifter bracket bushings resulted in shifting to 3rd gear from 2nd and going wot in neutral. Alas the car had a non-rev governed TT chip for some reason...just like that it was done.
After limping home I put the car under a car cover and licked my wounds, I began to get some quotes on fixing the motor, which at the time were crazy ($2-3k) so I ended up finding another VR6 for $800, of course one thing lead to another and by the time spring was done, I had the car repainted, picked up a VF supercharger kit and added Wilwood brakes.
I should have known this was going to go down the rabbit hole like nothing else I had experienced, well that is because partly Corrado life, also having cash and in early twenties seemed like a great idea at the time.
For 2007 I decided to embark on a little machining project and create a cog drive system for the VF kit, some might remember this was "impossible" by all those in the know on the forums, with even a moderator that went by the name Larry talking constant crap about it. Alas it would prove to be fun when Larry saw it in person on the other side of the country :wave:

After wrapping up the cars maintenance and being sure the car would survive the nearly 8,000 miles it would get over a week and a half. I departed to Las Vegas to meet up with Andy & Briar and some of the west coast Corrado owners. I had asked Andy in advance if doing an oil change at his house would be possible, he said no problem and he even tackled it!

Of course the biggest critic Larry was sitting there kicking back beers talking cars, when he read the script on the side of the car that said “Conquering belt slip since 2007” and then mentioned some punk kid on the east coast said he built a cog setup…at which point he noticed the cogs, walked to the back of the car and saw the plate from Massachusetts. There was a few minutes of silence then Larry walked over and shoot my hand, since then been friends ever since! Alas it is quite amazing meeting complete strangers from the internet and forever becoming friends. This is one of those endearing things about the Corrado to me as it has always been the continual camp fire of meeting people and friendships, it is truly irreplaceable.

2007 AKA Rally
Set a speed of 139mph on the mile with 209whp @ 6psi, HPA’s R32 never was able to beat the old Corrado.
For the rest of 2007 I drove the Corrado any and all chances that presented themselves, often wandering out to far flung late night VW/Audi GTG’s in all parts of the North East. Some nights blasting up to Canada or to Maine, just wasting gas and grinning ear to ear being behind the wheel of the Corrado.
Out for a late night blast into VT of I-89

2008 Repaint and more power

In 2008 I decided to increase the power from 8psi to 12psi, this resulted in needing an intercooler setup and some C2 software, this would eventually spell doom for the motor as it always ran too rich in the 10.8-11.5 air fuel area. My mentor Denis offered to let me use his garage to paint so I brought the Corrado up and began to strip the paint down to original pain, in some areas having to repair prior damage. Every night after work I would drive the hour to his house and work on the car until fatigue set in, at which point I would head home covered in paint dust to sleep prior to heading back to work. This would continue for months until fresh PPG Flash Red was finished.

No more than a couple weeks after completing the paint on the car it was vandalized at my work with some punk coming by and kicking in the door in several places. My heart was broken, even more so after the insurance agent offered me $500 to repair the door…after a long protracted fight where insurance wanted to total the car, I was able to get $1500 for the damage and no branding on the title.
Back to paint again….

Broken cog belts were an occasional thing with the 12psi pulley setup, this would be a continual fight with the setups evolution as I developed bigger and bigger setups for others.
H2OI 2008

2009 Dead....
With almost no compression in any cylinders 2009 marked the end of the motor, the struggle with tunes had been constant with the cog drive on OBD1. The results were too much fuel from a turbo tune that ended in washing down the cylinder cross hatching. Having another motor that I had rebuilt, the hurt one was removed.
For the next few years the Corrado moved from space to space until I was able to begin work on the engine bay paint in preparation for the newly built motor. Originally with the plan to go turbo on standalone I went back and forth until finally settling on the plan of a simple N/A 12v with MS3PRO. Winter of 2012 would mark tackling the paint in the engine bay and stripping the entire harnesses out of the car for repairs/standalone wiring.

Gross right?

After paint and putting the motor in, the Corrado sat for several more years eventually moving to my new place where I would complete it in 2019.

2018 Beginning assembly of the car and chasing down parts with the goal of having it ready for the Corrado Corral at 2019 NE Dustoff, Alas fate would be cruel again...

Freshly plated hardware

Pretty much all together, short of a couple small items for the interior and some tuning.

Hanging out with the Beast from the East

As the hours counted down to the Corrado needing to be at NE Dustoff a problematic oil cooler plate continued to cause issues and leak. Late that night I tossed in the towel and called it. Several weeks later I fixed the leak, but the car has sat ever since as I needed to collect my thoughts and focus on other projects for the rest of the year. With needing only a couple hours of final touches and some shake down miles, I still smile every day walking past it in the garage.

Over the years the Corrado just has become part of me like worn jacket or old watch, no matter even if not using it or having nicer newer things to entertain you, you just keep coming back to it. From an ownership standpoint it has been the single most expensive thing other than the house, bleeding tens of thousands of dollars over years, to such a point that I stopped keeping receipts after adding them up many many years ago and the sum was over $40k! The ownership of a Corrado is tough, parts are hard to find at times, the cars are not worth the sum of their parts often resulting in perfectly good cars being parted out.

Fun factor of driving the Corrado has always been an absolute blast, lift throttle oversteer, that uncorked VR6 at full wail, just everything just feeds back to the driver. On the track they are smooth operating machines, on the highways able to cover miles after miles with the large fuel tank. The ownership highs are sky high, the lows have you questioning car ownership entirely. Eventually they all balance out with a Corrado over the years of joy and pain, which is often made much rosier by fellow Corrado owners commiserating over alcohol. It is a constant reminder of adventures along long deserted highways, or the cool steel against the palm of your hand of the numbers of times cursing after it extracted blood from your knuckles.

2019 saw a big push to get the car pretty much back together and running, alas after a few snags at the end of the process it got mothballed again through 2020. With spring of 21 closing in, it would seem that perhaps it is time to get some of those last issues sorted so I can enjoy driving the car a little this year as the 996 will be under the knife for most of it.
By TheDeckMan
After 14 years finally got an alignment and took it for a little drive of 125 miles. Runs pretty well on the standalone tune, some fine tuning for hot start will be needed and highway cruising surges a bit. Hopefully spend some time next week doing some final tuning and then can head to the dyno for some power tuning.

By SeanR
I have always loved those and often find myself looking at them, then I remember I have a 928 that needs the sort of attention that you have put in your VR6. Thanks for sharing.
By Scott at Team Harco
Very cool. I just saw your TT tread, too. I have been building toys for many years, as well. None of them are quite that professionally done. They have been a hell of a lot of fun though. :beerchug:
By fpena944
I always knew the VR6 and the Corrado for the matter had potential. But I never knew it would result in a Corrado pushing close to 200 MPH in top speed. WOW!!! :eyepop:

The car is gorgeous, the work looks top-notch, and wow you have a created a case study for any VR6 performance engine build. Impressive!
By TheDeckMan
SeanR wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:50 pm I have always loved those and often find myself looking at them, then I remember I have a 928 that needs the sort of attention that you have put in your VR6. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Sean! Lots of lessons were learned on this project and continue as dialing in the setup. Currently having a hard time not putting a turbo on it which of course just adds to more things to think about. Might just have to put the PCV and wrap up the alignment/horns so it can get a sticker and some tuning.
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:34 pm Very cool. I just saw your TT tread, too. I have been building toys for many years, as well. None of them are quite that professionally done. They have been a hell of a lot of fun though. :beerchug:
Thanks Scott! This was my first down to nuts and bolts plating restomod. Was a fun process alas most of the major work I did in my buddies garage and a barn. Having space to assemble it in a clean manner now really has me looking at some things that could be brought to a higher level....Just time and money right?

The TT was a load of fun building, currently sitting on a lift with half the interior out to finish removing the rest of the radio wiring and speakers to shed some more weight.
fpena944 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:52 pm I always knew the VR6 and the Corrado for the matter had potential. But I never knew it would result in a Corrado pushing close to 200 MPH in top speed. WOW!!! :eyepop:

The car is gorgeous, the work looks top-notch, and wow you have a created a case study for any VR6 performance engine build. Impressive!
Thanks El Jefe! Yeah top speed I personally clocked was 189mph...mighty fast for a front wheel drive VW. It wont get there right now with the short 5th gear, but it takes about 30 minutes to swap 5th gears to have the 200mph capable again, granted with 200whp it might struggle a little to do that with no boost these days. If I tossed on a simple T4 Turbo and an air water ic running 13-15psi it wouldnt have an issue putting down almost 400whp :eyepop:
By TheDeckMan
Getting home late last night I felt the urge to get some work done in the garage after the whole basement disaster, something that would fill my soul rather than drain it. So heading into the garage the Corrado was begging to have some much needed final work done. The last thing that was holding up being able to do some road tuning and an alignment was the catch can.

To mount up the catch can I needed to first mill open one of the mounting holes to allow the use of some studs on the shock tower.

From there figured might as well do the last torque sequence on the head to ensure all good to go.

Once that was done everything could go back together once and for all. So I mapped out the catch can lines, need to re-do the fuel line at some point but everything will work in order to do some shake down and tuning.

Ready for some tuning!
By Scott at Team Harco
That is really clean.

Unlike the "champcar" Corrado I was fortunate to be a team member of. But hey - it's ChumpCar... I mean...
By TheDeckMan
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:28 pm That is really clean.

Unlike the "champcar" Corrado I was fortunate to be a team member of. But hey - it's ChumpCar... I mean...
Thanks Scott! Yeah clean ones are hard to find for sure, even rough ones are fun. This one has 182,000 miles on it of which I put the last 52k miles on it over about 3 years of driving. Hopefully take it out for a little shake down run this weekend to start to sort out some of the tune.
By fpena944
TheDeckMan wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:50 am Getting home late last night I felt the urge to get some work done in the garage after the whole basement disaster, something that would fill my soul rather than drain it. So heading into the garage the Corrado was begging to have some much needed final work done. The last thing that was holding up being able to do some road tuning and an alignment was the catch can.

To mount up the catch can I needed to first mill open one of the mounting holes to allow the use of some studs on the shock tower.

From there figured might as well do the last torque sequence on the head to ensure all good to go.

Once that was done everything could go back together once and for all. So I mapped out the catch can lines, need to re-do the fuel line at some point but everything will work in order to do some shake down and tuning.

Ready for some tuning!
Wow that is one clean engine bay!!!
By TheDeckMan
Thanks!!!

Nearly 13 years since the last time the Corrado moved under its own power, it took its first maiden drive of just over 8 miles. Runs very well on the rough tune from Paul who helped me out greatly building the harness and ecu setup.

First fill up with some fresh 93...all 16 gallons worth.

A bunch of little things need to be sorted out to wrap it up 100%, however my rough alignment worked out perfect and it runs like a champ so it will be time for some tuning and logs later this week. With that said and grinning ear to ear, I pulled out the car wash stuff to give her the first wash in over a decade.

Cannot wait to put some miles on it this fall to break in the motor to be able to hit the track in the spring!
By TheDeckMan
After a small setback of closing the com-cable in the door and killing it, I was able to run to work quick to find another cable. The Innovate gauge was only reading full lean, which seemed odd as it was fine when it was first started up, so I wanted to verify with what the ECU was showing.

After pulling up the tuner, dead nuts at 14.6:1 so it appears the gauge needs a calibration or a better ground from reading on the tuner forums. Now that I know that is ok ecu I can begin doing some road logs/tuning to ensure everything is spot on.

Only issues I have found:
-Clutch needs another bleeding
-Exhaust rubs over the axle, needs some clearance
-Need to dial in brake bias
-Hook up horns
-Hook up windshield washer sprayers

Small things. But damn she sounds good!

By fpena944
TheDeckMan wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:01 am After a small setback of closing the com-cable in the door and killing it, I was able to run to work quick to find another cable. The Innovate gauge was only reading full lean, which seemed odd as it was fine when it was first started up, so I wanted to verify with what the ECU was showing.

After pulling up the tuner, dead nuts at 14.6:1 so it appears the gauge needs a calibration or a better ground from reading on the tuner forums. Now that I know that is ok ecu I can begin doing some road logs/tuning to ensure everything is spot on.

Only issues I have found:
-Clutch needs another bleeding
-Exhaust rubs over the axle, needs some clearance
-Need to dial in brake bias
-Hook up horns
-Hook up windshield washer sprayers

Small things. But damn she sounds good!

You're right, it does sound great!

Can't wait to see some canyon-carving videos to see what it can do after all this time!
By TheDeckMan
fpena944 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:43 am You're right, it does sound great!
Can't wait to see some canyon-carving videos to see what it can do after all this time!

Should be soon!
i am not a traitor wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:53 am Awesome thread, always loved the look of the Corrado!
Thanks! Wild design vs the Mk2's of the era and even Mk3's. For a 30 year old design it has held up well!

Was able to calibrate the sensor which I had suspected and after a short email chain back and forth with the tuner, he suggested doing some good logs and send those over for some small revisions to make sure all is ready to go and hit the dyno.
By TheDeckMan
After 14 years finally got an alignment and took it for a little drive of 125 miles. Runs pretty well on the standalone tune, some fine tuning for hot start will be needed and highway cruising surges a bit. Hopefully spend some time next week doing some final tuning and then can head to the dyno for some power tuning.

By TheDeckMan
Tuning has been coming along well enough to finally be able to plan some dyno time. Forgot how much enjoyment there is of a VR6 at full song!

By fpena944
TheDeckMan wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:41 pm Tuning has been coming along well enough to finally be able to plan some dyno time. Forgot how much enjoyment there is of a VR6 at full song!

Between you and Jason Cammisa from Hagerty, you're making me want to re-live my VW days...sounds great!
By TheDeckMan
Old VW's are such good fun still and not on crack like most of the P-Car Market. The two things that draw the most interest at C&C meets at the garage are the Corrado and the 62 Rover.
By fpena944
TheDeckMan wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:10 pm Old VW's are such good fun still and not on crack like most of the P-Car Market. The two things that draw the most interest at C&C meets at the garage are the Corrado and the 62 Rover.
I wouldn't say they are quite as crazy but the air-cooled VW market is going kinda nuts - look at the price of a decent Beetle or van. Also prices on MK1 GTi's are much higher than I ever expected them to be.

But in comparison to P-cars you do get a lot more for your money.
By TheDeckMan
fpena944 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:00 pm
TheDeckMan wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:10 pm Old VW's are such good fun still and not on crack like most of the P-Car Market. The two things that draw the most interest at C&C meets at the garage are the Corrado and the 62 Rover.
I wouldn't say they are quite as crazy but the air-cooled VW market is going kinda nuts - look at the price of a decent Beetle or van. Also prices on MK1 GTi's are much higher than I ever expected them to be.

But in comparison to P-cars you do get a lot more for your money.
Yeah the air cooled VW market has been insane for many years. MK1's can still be had for not crazy money when you stay off BAT. In the case of Corrados that are very much more rare 100k world wide with about 15k-17k. Of that number SLC's with the VR6 we got roughly 2500 of them. Keeping track of customers I would say about 350-500 cars are road going in North America. Good examples can be had for 10-15k for an SLC still and a premium low milage car in the mid 20's.

It does seem like a lot more P-cars are coming up for sale and for lower prices, perhaps slowdown is finally putting that pin the the bubble.
By tooloud10
My mechanic is a long term Corrado owner and has a somewhat unique one with an R32 motor. His tow rig in the last pic.
image.png
12079844_982770885120831_6613719288000261080_o.jpg
11802566_10153367717226311_8597083254777827015_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheDeckMan liked this
Ineos Grenadier

Anyone have any experience with the Ineos Grenad[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]