8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By Fox_
I can't be the only one with bastardized and broken speaker cover retaining rings.

....and as far as I know they're NLA.

Started with FreeCAD, but I kept running into issues getting the threads correct from scratch.
FreeCADRing.png
Gave up and went with Fusion360 that, despite it's massive draw backs, has a better library for modeling threads.
Fusion360Ring.png

Result:
PXL_20210307_160013813.jpg
PXL_20210307_155918061.jpg
I will not admit how long it took to get that far...

It's still only PLA, so I'll have to move to a material that's more suited for the car-interior-in-august-sun environment.

Different material with also open up more post-processing to disguise that it's a 3D printed part.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
worf, SeanR, h2pmr and 1 others liked this
By worf
*very* cool. Are use reusing the factory grill?
By Fox_
worf wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:24 am *very* cool. Are use reusing the factory grill?
It's the factory mesh.

If I can find a sheet of the same/similar stuff I don't see why a jig to form and cut it can't be made.

It also opens up the option of having a stock looking grill with a base adapted to retain an aftermarket speaker.

Also working on the larger ring:
largerspeakerring.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Fox_
Fox_ wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:34 am If I can find a sheet of the same/similar stuff I don't see why a jig to form and cut it can't be made.
I think I found it, stainless steel wire 20 mesh. The grills for the larger covers that I have are pretty bad, going to try to replace.

Another question....

Replicating the texture of the factory part. Looking at the original, it almost looks like they straight painted both the mesh and plastic at the same time.

Textured paint?
Gary Knox liked this
By worf
Fox_ wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:56 pm Replicating the texture of the factory part. Looking at the original, it almost looks like they straight painted both the mesh and plastic at the same time.

Textured paint?
No idea. I have never looked that closely at a grill. Maybe the grill is powder coated???
By Sazerac
I like this! Very interesting. I should contribute to the 928 community by designing/building something worthwhile too!
By Hey_Allen
I've been thinking along the same lines.

My work has been paying me to take some SolidWorks training, and it'd be a shame not to put the skills to use in my hobbies as well as for work.
Last edited by Hey_Allen on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Fox_
Tempted to buy an EAA membership for the solidworks license.

PXL_20210310_010310439~2.jpg
We're finally getting somewhere.

Final version with be printed in ASA and post processed to get rid of layer lines.
worf, Gary Knox liked this
By Big Dave
I have been looking for one of those rings for a long time. If you come up with a version that's suitable for use, count me in!
By Hey_Allen
Fox_ wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:06 pm Tempted to buy an EAA membership for the solidworks license.
Just FYI, if you're a veteran, you can get the same education license for SolidWorks for $20 directly from the manufacturer.

The annoying things about the education version are that they expire every year in the spring (at least they did a the two years that I bought one), and they watermark the files as having been created in the education version, and are not for any commercial use.

The latter isn't really a problem, unless you intend to sell the resulting product, in which case the manufacturer has a few warnings about potential legal action. Considering what the full priced licenses cost, I'm guessing they pursue unlicensed commercial use (lost profits for them...) somewhat seriously.
By ladybug83
Nice job. Hard to find part, and even harder to keep unbroken
By maddog2020
years ago I found that MB Quart made speaker grills that were pretty damn close...

yes I stuck an MB Quart logo on the factory small grill.
By checkmate1996
I've used these on my car and they look very close to stock....

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068S42G/R ... rille.html
By Mike-JDSPorsche
I'm not sure if they're available stateside but I used grill from Monacor
Like this one for the 4"
https://cpc.farnell.com/monacor/sg-100/ ... pd-mi-alte

There's also the SG-75 which fits over the tweeter and a SG-165 that can be fitted to the rear woofer with some adaption to the original plastic base.

I have them in my car and most people do not notice they are not stock. I have custom drivers installed but they also work over the stock drivers.
By ROG100
I must get asked at least 10 times a week for speaker grills.
If you want to make them in a small quantity you have a keen buyer in me.
By Big Dave
If anyone has the small door speaker ring, even a 3D print, please let me know. I have the grill...just need a ring. Mine broke too many times to fix again.
By Big Dave
I'm also interested if it's a single unit grill+ring, too. Just need something stock-ish to cover up the exposed speaker.
By worf
Big Dave wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:23 pm If anyone has the small door speaker ring, even a 3D print, please let me know. I have the grill...just need a ring. Mine broke too many times to fix again.
Call Hans. He had a ton made for his speaker project.
By bizman928
We are having these made up at the moment. I have the big ring on my own MY88 car so that is being printed this week. The smaller speaker ring I seem to have the later clip on rings so just need to confirm the size of the smaller speaker and assume the pitch of the thread and will be able to reverse engineer those as well.

We industrial print in glass filled Nylon typically for these kind of parts - but we can also print in a variety of metals.

Happy to help out with anyone's parts as they need them just send over your requirements, designs, files etc. as we can look at them.
By Fox_
I decided the print time and post processing would make the price too high for me to produce.

If it were me I'd consider working with a Chinese injection mold company. That's $10-20,000 start up cost, maybe more with how complicated the part is, and you better make damn sure you've got your model correct.
By bizman928
If the quantities were there then I would get a mould made and we would injection mould them ourselves - since that is my day job!
Worked for one of the worlds biggest Plastics machinery companies based in Cincinnati Ohio for more than a decade and a half so know this market well.

But point taken, however the set up costs are as you say - considerable for Injection Moulding route.

I will see what pricing the 3D printing comes out at and then see where we sit. Will keep you posted.

Regards. Steve
By bizman928
MattiasH wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:34 am There is a company in Netherlands that are selling the speaker rings:
https://928-944teile-de.myonline.store/ ... rings-new/
Hi MattiasH
Yes I have seen them - seems they are using PLA from the photos & video. But a nice product in design!
By MattiasH
I just wanted to see that you knew what is available on the market, before going to deep into investing in these parts.
By bizman928
Thanks MattiasH
Appreciate the heads up and any other reference guide.

Cheers
MattiasH liked this
By MAL
Fox_ wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:31 am If it were me I'd consider working with a Chinese injection mold company. That's $10-20,000 start up cost, maybe more with how complicated the part is, and you better make damn sure you've got your model correct.
bizman928 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:15 am If the quantities were there then I would get a mould made and we would injection mould them ourselves - since that is my day job!
<snip>
But point taken, however the set up costs are as you say - considerable for Injection Moulding route.
I'm about to go back to China (for work) and will inevitably have spare time on my hand. Like....a LOT! :banghead:
We've produced injection moulded parts in the past for little money, and to a great deal of accuracy/quality.
Could definitely make some parts while there. Is there a wish list of 928 parts that are NLA?
By bizman928
MAL wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:48 pm
Fox_ wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:31 am If it were me I'd consider working with a Chinese injection mold company. That's $10-20,000 start up cost, maybe more with how complicated the part is, and you better make damn sure you've got your model correct.
bizman928 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:15 am If the quantities were there then I would get a mould made and we would injection mould them ourselves - since that is my day job!
<snip>
I'm about to go back to China (for work) and will inevitably have spare time on my hand. Like....a LOT! :banghead:
We've produced injection moulded parts in the past for little money, and to a great deal of accuracy/quality.
Could definitely make some parts while there. Is there a wish list of 928 parts that are NLA?
That's interesting - and understand the time thing as I have spent time out there myself!
Might be worth a chat!

Cheers
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]