Watercooled 911s
By JBRob007
On my 2000 996 the conv top deploy & retract switch on the dash used to work just fine. One day I used the key in the door lock open/shut method and now the dash switch no longer activates the top… up or down. The button works because the dash light now blinks quickly four times, a relay clicks behind the driver seat, and the light cycles through again but nothing happens. It’s as if something is ajar and prohibits the top from moving and the system senses an obstruction. The only problem is the key method of opening/ closing still works just fine. I know it won’t deploy if the engine cover is open or the E brake is off. Cover is closed and E brake is on… still no luck from the dash button. The owner’s manual has no information on the cause or what the blinking light means… much less fuse / relay locations.

Any ideas where to look for a cause?

Bad relay and if so where is it and how to get to it?

Engine cover micro switch may be bad and if so where is it located?

Thanks! Joel
By fpena944
Also make sure your parking brake is engaged as that will also affect the ability for the top to operate.
By JBRob007
Tried disconnecting the battery to clear codes / reset the system- no joy. E brake is applied and the E brake dash light is lit so I think the micro switch works & the system knows it’s engaged.

It’s confusing to me why the key in the door will work but the dash switch doesn’t…. It’s reading a fault somewhere… but the source is the question.

I’ll check the micro switch for the engine cover (bonnet). Maybe it’s faulty. We’ll run codes as well.
By JBRob007
Well… that’s strange. It “fixed itself” and now works as designed. How many times have you heard THAT?!?! Something must be loose somewhere…
By JBRob007
Turns out the rear deck lid micro switch was not fully engaged. Lid has a whale tail (heavy) and the strut is dead. Anyway, this makes the deck lid switch kinda fussy. May need a new one once I get the deck lid strut (or struts) sorted.
By fpena944
JBRob007 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:22 pm Turns out the rear deck lid micro switch was not fully engaged. Lid has a whale tail (heavy) and the strut is dead. Anyway, this makes the deck lid switch kinda fussy. May need a new one once I get the deck lid strut (or struts) sorted.
Glad to hear you found the source of it. Mine has a hydraulic leak somewhere as I filled it up and the next time I used it there were issues. So I've been using the hardtop now for the last couple of years due to lack of driving and sheer laziness. Going to feel weird to go topless again when it happens!
Flat6Noise liked this
By JBRob007
👍👍
By Flat6Noise
fpena944 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:42 pm
JBRob007 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:22 pm Turns out the rear deck lid micro switch was not fully engaged. Lid has a whale tail (heavy) and the strut is dead. Anyway, this makes the deck lid switch kinda fussy. May need a new one once I get the deck lid strut (or struts) sorted.
Glad to hear you found the source of it. Mine has a hydraulic leak somewhere as I filled it up and the next time I used it there were issues. So I've been using the hardtop now for the last couple of years due to lack of driving and sheer laziness. Going to feel weird to go topless again when it happens!
Man, it’s nice to know I’m not the only one! :beerchug: I have a leaky cylinder in my 99’ cab and it got to the point that I got tired of topping off the fluid in the reservoir. And if you’re going to rebuild one, might as well do both. Or...
just leave the hardtop on until it’s time to go topless and then leave it off for awhile. Then go back to filling the reservoir again. Now I feel guilty just writing this. There really are too many things to work on around here. But thanks again for letting me know I’m not the only one around here putting this off. ;)
By fpena944
Flat6Noise wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:42 am
fpena944 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:42 pm
Man, it’s nice to know I’m not the only one! :beerchug: I have a leaky cylinder in my 99’ cab and it got to the point that I got tired of topping off the fluid in the reservoir. And if you’re going to rebuild one, might as well do both. Or...
just leave the hardtop on until it’s time to go topless and then leave it off for awhile. Then go back to filling the reservoir again. Now I feel guilty just writing this. There really are too many things to work on around here. But thanks again for letting me know I’m not the only one around here putting this off. ;)
If I didn't have the hardtop I would be more motivated to fix the issue. But since I haven't been commuting then it's easy enough to take the top off for pleasure driving so that's what I've been doing.

It's so weird though because it really does feel like a different car when I have the hardtop on compared to top-down. The exhaust note really shines when the top is off. Today is probably the first day since we've moved back where the weather is pretty much perfect, 79 degrees and sunny. Might have to go for a drive later! :biggrin:
By SeanR
I think this is the outfit I used when I had a customer needing the rams rebuilt. Been a few years so can't remember exactly but it was in Florida. They did a great job and had quick turnaround.

https://cabriolethydraulics.com/product ... nder-kits/
By fpena944
SeanR wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:49 pm I think this is the outfit I used when I had a customer needing the rams rebuilt. Been a few years so can't remember exactly but it was in Florida. They did a great job and had quick turnaround.

https://cabriolethydraulics.com/product ... nder-kits/
Any idea what something like that costs? I could just contact them but curious if you knew.
By Flat6Noise
I didn’t see a price at that site.

This guy wants $400 a pair.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303636779138?h ... SwA35ZeoI2

My problem (among many! ;) ) is that if I’m going to tear into this project, I need to do the rear window regulators now too. And if I’m going to do that, the plastic rear window on the top is nearly opaque, and maybe it’s about time to change the top so I can get black instead of the blue that I have now.

And then I think about it and then say “Oh, fuck it!” Poor car hasn’t even been driven to the grocery store in more than a month. I’m presently a bad steward of that car.
By fpena944
Flat6Noise wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:41 pm I didn’t see a price at that site.

This guy wants $400 a pair.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303636779138?h ... SwA35ZeoI2

My problem (among many! ;) ) is that if I’m going to tear into this project, I need to do the rear window regulators now too. And if I’m going to do that, the plastic rear window on the top is nearly opaque, and maybe it’s about time to change the top so I can get black instead of the blue that I have now.

And then I think about it and then say “Oh, fuck it!” Poor car hasn’t even been driven to the grocery store in more than a month. I’m presently a bad steward of that car.
I have the same "well, while I'm in here" line of thinking too.

Honestly I need to just take my car off the road for a while and do an engine rebuild, a repaint, suspension refresh, new stereo, deep interior clean, and new top. Hopefully by the time I'm done it'll still cost less than a 997.2

Thankfully I did the rear window regulator a couple of years ago. Probably a worse job than the AOS truthfully and hope to never do it again.
Flat6Noise liked this
By JBRob007
Sean, I didn’t know you have, or work on a 996. Good to know. I’m just diving into this end of the pool. So far, I’m loving the car!
By linderpat
JBRob007 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:56 am Sean, I didn’t know you have, or work on a 996. Good to know. I’m just diving into this end of the pool. So far, I’m loving the car!
Also Joel, know that Roger sells parts for these cars too. He handles 996/997, Boxster, and I'm not sure about the other water cooled Porsches models.
By JBRob007
NICE!!!! Roger is Da Man!!!!

Anyone have one a can borrow? What size do yo[…]

Thanks for getting back to us.

good forum "engine"

was busy typing a response to a question :typin[…]

Gary, Worf, many thanks! I think I must have even […]