By Airkuhl
I decided to replace my Tesla P100D. I really enjoyed that car but didn't feel that keeping something like that for a long time made sense, since the tech moves so fast. I figured my pickup truck would be plenty for me, but it turns out that the urge for a sports car is still in there somewhere.

So this showed up yesterday.
IMG_2471.jpg
IMG_2474.jpg
Went on a ~70 mile drive with the top down. Gonna take a while to adjust but it's a great example of why raw acceleration, while crazy fun, isn't everything. There is something special and distinctive about the experience of driving most F-cars and P-cars that is greater than the sum of it's parts.
IMG_2481.jpg
Doggo over in the background couldn't stop sniffing it. Maybe smelled some pasta, I dunno.
IMG_2484.jpg
I'd hang this motor on my wall if I could.
IMG_2486.jpg
In her new home next to mama's car. Having a blast irritating the shit out of her by saying everything in a silly Italian accent. I'm sure that'll get old after a month or two.
IMG_2493.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By ny991
Sweet! She looks happy in the garage spot. I'm down to just my old Mustang and looking around for something newer to sit next to it. I've got an itch for an F-car too. Nice choice, enjoy.
By Cuda911
Wow! A beauty!!!
Last edited by Cuda911 on Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
By fpena944
Wow what a gorgeous car!

As loyal as I am to Porsche these Ferraris get my heart racing.

Yes we need audio and video now too!
By lupo.sk
I haven’t seen a nicer red Ferrari on this board today! ;)
By Yossarian
That's a good looking car. You're going to have some fun in that one.
By Airkuhl
Thanks all. I feel like a total douche nozzle driving it, I hope that fades away soon.

In one hour of driving I already got a couple of "nice car!" shouts and one Subie STi that probably broke 120mph to catch up to me and give a thumbs up. No one's flipped me off yet. I'm hoping that car nuts will appreciate the sighting and non-car guys will just think it's a Corvette or something.
By Airkuhl
Some asked for sounds. If you want a Ferrari mostly for the sound it makes, this ain't it. Get an older naturally aspirated one. This thing has turbos and a relatively low redline of 7.5K. So it's all about that bass and not so much that high pitched sportbike sound that some of the older ones make. Might get a Capristo system someday but I'll be eating grocery store Ramen for a while after getting this.

Compared to the Tesla though..... :lol:

[bbvideo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ee9ZLQhtXE[/bbvideo]
By DAVfoto
Niiice! Enjoy the hell out of the new Portofino!

Looks like a beautiful location to own it too. I'm assuming Wyoming, Colorado or maybe Lake Tahoe region of Cali?
By Airkuhl
DAVfoto wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:04 pm Looks like a beautiful location to own it too. I'm assuming Wyoming, Colorado or maybe Lake Tahoe region of Cali?
By DAVfoto
Airkuhl wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:38 am
DAVfoto wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:04 pm Looks like a beautiful location to own it too. I'm assuming Wyoming, Colorado or maybe Lake Tahoe region of Cali?
Dang, I wasn't even close. I'll have to make a trip to Idaho one day! Looks amazing.
By odurandina
Your car is gorgeous. Spectacular photos.
Thanks for sharing.
Congratulations.
By JustBud
Man, I hate it when that happens!! Just yesterday I had a guy try to drop off a red Ferrari in front of my house. I had to run him off, it was street sweeping day! I tell ya! :lol:

Congratulations! That's a beautiful automobile.
By 911Königin
Red beauty :bowdown: :eyepop:
Last edited by 911Königin on Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By terry997
Awesome.
By tooloud10
Man, I can't believe I missed this post! Beautiful car, and it's the right color, too!
By Airkuhl
Picked her up from the detailer yesterday. Paint correction, PPF and Ceramic coating.
IMG_2504.jpg
IMG_2507.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By dernflatlander
Glad it survived the peaceful protests. Absolutely stunning. Enjoy tons of miles of smiles.
By sh944
Where the hell do you get that serviced in Idaho?? lol

Beautiful car, I have looked at the California's but just don't have the faith in the service network in KC. The independents here are punks and I don't want to have to haul my car to Dallas to get proper service so I am sticking with Porsches. I'd love to get an F car tho...
By Airkuhl
sh944 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:10 pm Where the hell do you get that serviced in Idaho?? lol

Beautiful car, I have looked at the California's but just don't have the faith in the service network in KC. The independents here are punks and I don't want to have to haul my car to Dallas to get proper service so I am sticking with Porsches. I'd love to get an F car tho...
That's a good question and one I wrestled with for a long time while trying to decide between this or another 911. The nearest Porsche dealer is 1.5 hours away and the nearest Ferrari dealer is 5 hours.

The Ferrari still has 4 more years of warranty and 6 more years of free maintenance. So I decided that once a year, my wife and I will make a road trip out of it. Schedule maintenance on a Friday morning, drive in Thursday evening, stay at some nice hotel, have a fun couple days in the big city and drive home.

Warranty work is a little more complicated. If the car can't be driven, I would need to tow it in. I can do that myself or pay someone ~$1K round trip to do it. No one said owning a sports car is cheap I guess.
By lupo.sk
Airkuhl wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:35 pm
sh944 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:10 pm Where the hell do you get that serviced in Idaho?? lol

That's a good question and one I wrestled with for a long time while trying to decide between this or another 911. The nearest Porsche dealer is 1.5 hours away and the nearest Ferrari dealer is 5 hours.

The Ferrari still has 4 more years of warranty and 6 more years of free maintenance. So I decided that once a year, my wife and I will make a road trip out of it. Schedule maintenance on a Friday morning, drive in Thursday evening, stay at some nice hotel, have a fun couple days in the big city and drive home.

Warranty work is a little more complicated. If the car can't be driven, I would need to tow it in. I can do that myself or pay someone ~$1K round trip to do it. No one said owning a sports car is cheap I guess.
I bet you own / did more stupid things for $1k than having an F car towed for repair... ;)
By Airkuhl
lupo.sk wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:27 am
I bet you own / did more stupid things for $1k than having an F car towed for repair... ;)

The list is long and distinguished. 8-)
By Airkuhl
Installed some wheel spacers to fill out the wells a bit more.
IMG_2512 (1).jpg
IMG_2513.jpg
And went on a fun drive this morning.
IMG_2518.jpg
IMG_2519.jpg
IMG_2523.jpg
amdavid liked this
By Airkuhl
Interesting drive, lot's of fun keeping up with the McLaren. It was sunny but with 40+ mph winds and we were deep into wheat farm country, rolling hills and few trees. Tumbleweeds on the straights and carpets of pine needles in the ground in the corners. When you stick a "1" in front of the speed limit, you can feel that wind move you around.
IMG_2583.jpg
By Erik N
Is that pic above from HWY 2 out by Chain Lakes area? I almost bought a place out there.
By Airkuhl
The pic directly above is south of Spokane near Spangle. I do drive by Chain Lake a lot though, since I usually take Hwy 2 to get to/from north Spokane, and have friends in Chattaroy.
By DAVfoto
Airkuhl wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:35 pm

Ferrari in Chicago (Lake Forest Ferrari) I think does country wide service delivery, maybe some of the other Ferrari dealers do the same? Check it out and see if you could just have them pick it up for service. May be without the car for a month but then you wouldn't have to deal with a trip.

https://www.ferrarilakeforest.com/transportation/

Edit: It says most states, but I could think they could go to Idaho, maybe to Florida would be tough for them but Idaho might not be as hard.
By Airkuhl
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:46 pm Wow. I just stumbled in.

Wow.
Thanks but I bet yours is way more fun in the snow.
IMG_2777 (1).JPG
DAVfoto wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:22 pm Ferrari in Chicago (Lake Forest Ferrari) I think does country wide service delivery, maybe some of the other Ferrari dealers do the same? Check it out and see if you could just have them pick it up for service. May be without the car for a month but then you wouldn't have to deal with a trip.

https://www.ferrarilakeforest.com/transportation/

Edit: It says most states, but I could think they could go to Idaho, maybe to Florida would be tough for them but Idaho might not be as hard.
Not long after our Glacier trip the trunk refused to open with the key fob. I called Ferrari Seattle and they sent a truck out to pick it up, fixed the trunk (replaced the striker assembly), replaced the center brake light since they saw some condensation in it, detailed it and shipped it back enclosed all for no charge.

They also moved out of Seattle to a new location in Bellevue. Just another in a long line of businesses fleeing liberal shitholes.
By DAVfoto
Nice! And that thing looks beautiful in the snow!

I bet that these Ferrari dealers need to have this transportation as an option due to clients being all over with very few dealers around the country.
By Multi21
Wow Pete!!! What beautiful pictures of potatoes!! The red car is nice too... I remember you posting pics of your house from across a creek a while back... Such great taste. What a life you're living - Enjoy!! :beerchug:
Airkuhl liked this
By Chaos
Was in one Monday for the first time, they are special.
By UDPride
Total score. Well done. Id say you definitely traded up from the Tesla.
By Airkuhl
Easy come easy go. Bye bye Portofino.
IMG_3853.jpg
By fpena944
Airkuhl wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:38 am Easy come easy go. Bye bye Portofino.

IMG_3853.jpg
amdavid wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:05 pm @Airkuhl What's comin next...?? :biggrin:
Oh wow, I have the same question!

Also did the car still continue to amaze you or it had some faults and that's why something else is making its way into your garage?
By Airkuhl
fpena944 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:22 pm

IMG_3853.jpg
amdavid wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:05 pm @Airkuhl What's comin next...?? :biggrin:

Also did the car still continue to amaze you or it had some faults and that's why something else is making its way into your garage?
In short, no faults at all. If I could own more cars I would have kept this one. I think of the Porto as the ultimate expression of a 911 Turbo Cab, a 2+2 you could drive cross country in comfort, hold plenty of luggage for 2 people for a week, then scare yourself silly (in a good way) in the twisty bits. It was also reliable, one minor issue resolved under warranty over 7k miles.

Why sell?

1) I want something a bit sharper edged. I used to put 15k miles a year on a sport bike. Not long ago my commuter car was a '73 911 with Recaro shells and harnesses.
2) For long road trips it's hard to beat my wife's Cayenne. That thing will eat miles like an S class, hold more stuff than a dorm room and with PDCC and RWS, still be relatively fun in the twisties.
3) Oddly enough, the Portofino was the cheapest car I've ever owned. I drove it for 2 years and 7K miles and factoring in gas and insurance I net a ~12% profit. So yeah, got an offer I couldn't refuse.

What's next? Stay tuned. Not being coy, just still up in the air. I'll post pictures if the deal goes through. I will tell you that it's technically a downgrade.
fpena944 liked this
By fpena944
Airkuhl wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:26 pm
fpena944 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:22 pm

IMG_3853.jpg

In short, no faults at all. If I could own more cars I would have kept this one. I think of the Porto as the ultimate expression of a 911 Turbo Cab, a 2+2 you could drive cross country in comfort, hold plenty of luggage for 2 people for a week, then scare yourself silly (in a good way) in the twisty bits. It was also reliable, one minor issue resolved under warranty over 7k miles.

Why sell?

1) I want something a bit sharper edged. I used to put 15k miles a year on a sport bike. Not long ago my commuter car was a '73 911 with Recaro shells and harnesses.
2) For long road trips it's hard to beat my wife's Cayenne. That thing will eat miles like an S class, hold more stuff than a dorm room and with PDCC and RWS, still be relatively fun in the twisties.
3) Oddly enough, the Portofino was the cheapest car I've ever owned. I drove it for 2 years and 7K miles and factoring in gas and insurance I net a ~12% profit. So yeah, got an offer I couldn't refuse.

What's next? Stay tuned. Not being coy, just still up in the air. I'll post pictures if the deal goes through. I will tell you that it's technically a downgrade.
I can understand all of those reasons and can attest to your assessment of the Cayenne as our Turbo has been the workhorse of the family for the last several years. It does everything and amazes me that it can manage to be as sporty and utilitarian all at the same time.

Good luck on the next move - we look forward to seeing what might be coming next!
By Airkuhl
Alright, hope I don't jinx anything as it's not in my possession for a few more days, but here are a few pics. I'll post a few more on a sunny day as these shady pics don't do the color justice.
Car1.jpg
Car2.jpg
Car5.jpg

It's a 2015 458 Spider. Last naturally aspirated Ferrari, last one designed by Pininfarina. It's older and less powerful than the Portofino, less practical, and lacks even basic modern touches like reliable Bluetooth, a usable cupholder, a decent stereo or Carplay. You have to actually insert and turn a key, lol.

On the plus side, pretty much everything else.

i am not a traitor, fpena944, SeanR and 2 others liked this
By AKSteve
I've heard the coating that Ferrari puts on its buttons and other surface materials in the interiors of their car gets weirdly sticky as their cars age. I'm curious to hear if this is an issue on your new purchase.
By fpena944
AKSteve wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:30 am I've heard the coating that Ferrari puts on its buttons and other surface materials in the interiors of their car gets weirdly sticky as their cars age. I'm curious to hear if this is an issue on your new purchase.
Sounds like they're sourcing from the same place that 90s and 2000s Porsches did. I had the same issue on my 944 and it is also a problem on my 996.
By Airkuhl
XR4Tim wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:32 pm Rosso Maranello?
Good eye! A 3-stage pearlescent red. $20K option. :eek: PPF will be done asap.

AKSteve wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:30 am I've heard the coating that Ferrari puts on its buttons and other surface materials in the interiors of their car gets weirdly sticky as their cars age. I'm curious to hear if this is an issue on your new purchase.
They used to, so much so that there are companies that specialize in fixing them. More recent ones don't seem to have the same issue. This car doesn't as of today, but who knows if it will over time.
They also have a potential issue with "shrinking" dash leather. Both of these issues seem to be directly related to excessive heat and humidity. This car sat in someone's collection in the murky Seattle area and only saw a few hundred miles per year, so it's OK for now.
XR4Tim liked this
By XR4Tim
A friend of mine has an F12 in that colour, and it is phenomenal. He does have some shrinkage in the dash leather, but it's not too bad. No sticky buttons though.

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]