Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
General discussions related to cars and driving
By JustBud
Apparently the 992.2 will have a hybrid option??? Now the turbo not TURBO guys will have something to feel as superior as the naturally aspirated boys... :biggrin: :hiding: :biggrin:

By wsh
Amen
Why can't they leave anything alone ???

Porsche has SUV's, sedans, EV's, can't we have anything not burdened with woke, heavy, expensive-to-replace nonsense ???

I just ordered new DD, 2023 BMW M550i. Was going to wait until the fall and order the "new" 5 series until I found out the top (non M5) 5 series would be a hybrid I6. So 523 V-8 hp it is
By amdavid
I wish Porsche would give the green light to building smaller lighter Porsche's again. The 911 has become a very large sports car in my opinion. Part of my love for 911's grew from its stance and size....cira 80's and early 90's. Now.....they big.
By worf
This is not a surprise. At all.

When the 992 was released, PAG included the description of several (IIRC 7) inches of space available for a longer transaxle case so as to accommodate a hybrid drivetrain.

Car weight is driven by regulation and focus-group-driven marketing. IMO.

But, yeah, I agree. Modern cars are too heavy and hybrid drivetrains - especially in sports cars - are dorky.

I love my 718 Cayman T: A bit less than 3100 pounds.
amdavid, milrad liked this
By fpena944
Forgot to take a picture of a 356 at Daytona. Small enough to fit in my pocket compared to the 992 that was next to it!

But yeah I wonder with all of the other product lines to support the corporate mileage objectives, why mess with the 911?
By worf
fpena944 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:22 pm But yeah I wonder with all of the other product lines to support the corporate mileage objectives, why mess with the 911?
IDK.

My bet:
- corporate fuel economy. (Enables more GT/special-version car sales at ridiculous margin to folks that collect them.)
- plenty of woke buyers that want to virtue-signal saving the planet
- better 0-60 numbers
- smaller displacement engines means lower tax/tariff rates in countries (many) were displacement is taxed.

Last... hedging bets and fear.

Unless Porsche can create an ecosystem around their ersatz liquid fuel research the 911 goes away - for the most part - in 2035. At best ICE-power cars will be a mid-sized niche for countries (and some US states) where ICE isn't banned at the end of 2034. They need to evolve it into something their market will be as-excited about in 2035 as is their current ICE-craving market.
By AKSteve
worf wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:44 pm This is not a surprise. At all.
I heard a while back that the reason the 992 doesn't have AM radio was because of plans for a future electric or hybrid model and electromagnetic interference screws up AM radio reception.

Okay, so I pulled the trigger on going with a Must[…]

Refurbishing D90 Wheels

I would want to make sure they are round first. Ge[…]

Bring A Trailer finds

Winning bid of $295K for the Vector doesn't real[…]

Formula 1 2020 And Beyond

So, after Lance's most recent screw up at the Chin[…]