General discussions related to cars and driving
By JustBud
Apparently the 992.2 will have a hybrid option??? Now the turbo not TURBO guys will have something to feel as superior as the naturally aspirated boys... :biggrin: :hiding: :biggrin:

By wsh
Amen
Why can't they leave anything alone ???

Porsche has SUV's, sedans, EV's, can't we have anything not burdened with woke, heavy, expensive-to-replace nonsense ???

I just ordered new DD, 2023 BMW M550i. Was going to wait until the fall and order the "new" 5 series until I found out the top (non M5) 5 series would be a hybrid I6. So 523 V-8 hp it is
By amdavid
I wish Porsche would give the green light to building smaller lighter Porsche's again. The 911 has become a very large sports car in my opinion. Part of my love for 911's grew from its stance and size....cira 80's and early 90's. Now.....they big.
By worf
This is not a surprise. At all.

When the 992 was released, PAG included the description of several (IIRC 7) inches of space available for a longer transaxle case so as to accommodate a hybrid drivetrain.

Car weight is driven by regulation and focus-group-driven marketing. IMO.

But, yeah, I agree. Modern cars are too heavy and hybrid drivetrains - especially in sports cars - are dorky.

I love my 718 Cayman T: A bit less than 3100 pounds.
amdavid, milrad liked this
By fpena944
Forgot to take a picture of a 356 at Daytona. Small enough to fit in my pocket compared to the 992 that was next to it!

But yeah I wonder with all of the other product lines to support the corporate mileage objectives, why mess with the 911?
By worf
fpena944 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:22 pm But yeah I wonder with all of the other product lines to support the corporate mileage objectives, why mess with the 911?
IDK.

My bet:
- corporate fuel economy. (Enables more GT/special-version car sales at ridiculous margin to folks that collect them.)
- plenty of woke buyers that want to virtue-signal saving the planet
- better 0-60 numbers
- smaller displacement engines means lower tax/tariff rates in countries (many) were displacement is taxed.

Last... hedging bets and fear.

Unless Porsche can create an ecosystem around their ersatz liquid fuel research the 911 goes away - for the most part - in 2035. At best ICE-power cars will be a mid-sized niche for countries (and some US states) where ICE isn't banned at the end of 2034. They need to evolve it into something their market will be as-excited about in 2035 as is their current ICE-craving market.
By AKSteve
worf wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:44 pm This is not a surprise. At all.
I heard a while back that the reason the 992 doesn't have AM radio was because of plans for a future electric or hybrid model and electromagnetic interference screws up AM radio reception.
gas tank sender unit

If I hadn't already bought one from one of the ven[…]

The 928 Photo Thread

held with 9mm spanner size plastic nut, thermal cu[…]

First IOC brings back fond memories. Carlos? Righ[…]

I've got all three components of the release and I[…]