8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By Crumpler
I enjoy “working” on the 928.
The other cars are just extra “work” which I resent :)

Todays example: late model Land Rover Discovery.
Small coolant leak that making me crazy. Tear down is a myriad of plastic tabs, this bitty was not made to be worked on.
Grrrr.

Here’s the last repair.
Who the duck makes a start button that can’t be a wear item?
By worf
Crumpler wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:17 pm The other cars are just extra “work” which I resent :)
By Crumpler
I might have lost my cool and cut through some harness and breather hose to get the throttle body out of a mouse hole……
By Crumpler
MmmmmmHmmmmm.

Fabricated a plug to pressure test.
Isolated to the T-stat housing.
Upon further review, the gasket has flat spot from over torque. Assume factory, no one has touched this bitty prior.
Look at the crap on these injectors!
By Crumpler
Hey guess why I couldn’t find any engine diagrams for my Land Rover?
It’s a Ford Edge on the inside. Why did I not know this? Because I’m an idiot.
By Crumpler
2016 discovery sport
Apparently, transitional year for Land Rover. Subjective research indicates the 2015’s had a weaker four banger that took too long to spool turbo and they bailed and used the Ford turbo four.
Used a 2L ecoboost engine that Ford used for Edge and Explorer models.
By worf
I’d like to respond with something encouraging. Or funny. Or maybe sarcastic.

But, you’ll have to rely on your own wit; it’s been one of those days for me where I’m glad I don’t have a propensity to throw tools (at things) when I’m pissed off. 928 that’s supposed to be done on Sunday … doing some last “quick checks” of stuff I haven’t touched … just found a square-toothed timing belt on round-tooth gears…
By Crumpler
Have you seen this meme yet?
It made me chuckle.
It might help;)
XR4Tim liked this
By Crumpler
Resolved. But Why am still irritated that the engine was stamped 2012 and sat in a crate for four years before installation.
By Fox_
It's not a land rover if you're not doing a head gasket....
By N_Jay
Fox_ wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:07 am It's not a land rover if you're not doing a head gasket....
I had 2; 1989 and 1991, both with the Rover (ex GM) aluminum V8.
No head gaskets.
Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe Land Rover should stop buying Ford engines?
By Crumpler
The other, other car was a 2015 volvo v60.
The electric steering rack drove like a box of oranges.
I’m using past tense because I was t-boned last night by a 90 year old woman — who kept her foot on gas before during and after the t-bone.

:banghead:

Anyway, good news is it’s totaled and I get to shop!
Thinking sleeper sedan, what was that Mercedes that was called “the hammer”? Or maybe a R class jag.
By XR4Tim
N_Jay wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:20 am
Fox_ wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:07 am It's not a land rover if you're not doing a head gasket....
I had 2; 1989 and 1991, both with the Rover (ex GM) aluminum V8.
No head gaskets.
Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe Land Rover should stop buying Ford engines?
They may have been better back then, but I did head gaskets twice on my parents' 2002 Discovery Series II, with the aluminum 4.0 from GM.
By Crumpler
Ok.
Same car. Different bitch.
Threw a code yesterday P00011.
Cam timing advance.

So then I’m studying VVT systems. I’m blown away that oil is used to adjust cam timing. Where have I been and how is this best practice?!

My hunch is my oil is dirty and the solenoid that controls the phaser is junked up but who knew?
By N_Jay
Unless poorly maintained, your engine oil properly changed is probably no different from old power steering fluid that get burnt and not filtered.
By worf
Crumpler wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:27 pm So then I’m studying VVT systems. I’m blown away that oil is used to adjust cam timing. Where have I been and how is this best practice?!
It’s a good source of hydraulic pressure.

Speaking of other cars…

I learned how to disassemble a 991 front bumper cover this weekend. That was fun. -ish.

By The Fat Man
:hiding:
By worf
The Fat Man wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:33 am:hiding:
Yeah. Me. Not at all waiting until the last minute. :hiding: I got to it as soon as I could.
The Fat Man liked this
By worf
The Fat Man wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:33 am:hiding:
On another subject: you gonna be there? I’ll hand deliver your stuff.
By The Fat Man
F*ck yes I am going to be there! Just bought a fresh bottle of Kraken...
And I will have a flash drive of piston/cylinder photos for you.
Thanks!
worf liked this
By worf
The Fat Man wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:08 pm F*ck yes I am going to be there! Just bought a fresh bottle of Kraken...
And I will have a flash drive of piston/cylinder photos for you.
Awesome!

Next up: Wife's car has vacuum leaks. All the vacuum change-over valves pass the PIWIS(-like clone) tests. My copy of the relevant parts of the shop manual has no pictures where there should be pictures. The "official" description of the steps to correct the two "codes" can be summarized as "find the vacuum leaks."

So... this'll be fun.

By Crumpler
I’m ready for some Kraken myself dude.

This solenoid is a unicorn tear.
Made by dorman for Ford-Eurotrash division in the early twenty teens.
Not available. The 2012 Edge had same engine but different cam cover and different size VVT solenoids.
Wtf.
By worf
Well that sucks.

My day turned out pretty good.

No vacuum leaks. Turned out the problem was a $35 vacuum sensor that has no Porsche part number. Porsche wants $155 for the hose/sensor assembly from which the sensor can be removed in - literally - 30 seconds.

Luckily it’s a Bosch part made for VAG. But, you can’t by it from a US vendor. I tried to buy it by CC from a place in the Netherlands. Card denied. Paypal went through. $35, $40 DHL, and paypal fees. Still less than Porsche.

But, no idea if it’s actually coming yet.

By worf
35k-mile air filters were pretty icky.

By Crumpler
I would assume it will show up in a prompt manner!
I trust the Netherlands Dave. ;)

Try wiring four figures to a bank in Estonia for an ECU. That will make you pucker. :hiding:

I don’t know how but Roger came through on the solenoid. Amazing.
worf liked this
By worf
Overconfidence:

By Gary Knox
worf wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:11 pm Overconfidence:

Big BUMMER!!!
By worf
Gary Knox wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:51 am Big BUMMER!!!
Turns out that the variation in the two sensors was due to a variation in the test procedure. The latter aided by not internalizing sufficiently that the 991 doesn’t use the intake as a vacuum source. It has a vacuum pump.

Confirmed last night that both sensors exhibit substantially the same behavior if test conditions are substantially the same.

The accessory vacuum system on the source side holds deep vacuum steadily for 10+ minutes.

The management system throws a code based upon this Germlishly-described algorithm:

The car doesn’t seem to exhibit any symptoms related to an electrically-failed change-over valve or a leak on the actuator-side vacuum system.

Luckily, I’m now versed in removing the rear spoiler, tail lights, and apron. A couple of the COVs are however, rather inaccessible.

:barf:
Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]