8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By ChrisZ
My 86.5 928S seats are shot. Likewise the control switch on the driver's side is completely shot and needs to be replaced. I don't know what it would take to get a properly working one (not intermittent, not smoking, not needing to be taken apart and the balls get lost) but to be honest I might as well replace the whole damn seat.

So. What does it take to get a Blue Leather 928S seat in flawless or nearly flawless condition? I need to upgrade my ride.
By linderpat
reach out to Mark Anderson at 928 International - he may have a good used one sitting right there at his store.
By Crumpler
Answer to question: act of congress or $$$$.

I have two sets of seats that need same thing.

Paul Champagne is long retired I think. I think this is Rob Budd’s old shop, I think retired or sold as well.

https://www.classic9leathershop.com/
By jschiller
Closer to [your] home would be Sonderwerks in Cornelius NC. They did my seats at a fair price and they turned out wonderfully. Contact Dave there 704-799-7680. No affiliation, of course.
By worf
jschiller wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:28 pm Closer to [your] home would be Sonderwerks in Cornelius NC. They did my seats at a fair price and they turned out wonderfully. Contact Dave there 704-799-7680. No affiliation, of course.
Do they just do upholstery? Or do they do a "full rebuild" of the seat mechanism in addition to upholstery?

I've no dog in this hunt at the moment, but I think ChrisZ is looking for the latter?
By jschiller
worf wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:24 pm
jschiller wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:28 pm Closer to [your] home would be Sonderwerks in Cornelius NC. They did my seats at a fair price and they turned out wonderfully. Contact Dave there 704-799-7680. No affiliation, of course.
Do they just do upholstery? Or do they do a "full rebuild" of the seat mechanism in addition to upholstery?

I've no dog in this hunt at the moment, but I think ChrisZ is looking for the latter?
They did my upholstery which included rebuilding the bolsters. I didn't need any mechanical work to be done but judging from their website, they look more than qualified to do the mechanical work. They appear to be a 'full service' Porsche shop and Dave has an 89 928 of his own. Check out drooman's seat thread over on TOS. Worth a call at least.
By ChrisZ
Yeah, I sent an email to him and I need to reach out. I was mostly frustrated about the damn seat switch imploding; I have repaired five of these (3 on the 928S, two on the 944S) and all are working great but this last one just plain sucks (intermittent, etc). So when I broke it on install I just hit the mental roof and put away the hammer before I beat the seat up. :-)

Maybe I can just drive the car to NC, take a plane home, and go back in a few weeks to pick them up. Or drive down, plane back, drive the 944S down, take the 928 back then go back later for the 944S (I have a lot of seat problems in my life). If there is one thing I have now it's time....

Now that I see you can get the switch for ~100 or so I'm going to replace the switch and go. Looks simple to do, just didn't think the switches could still be gotten.

The condition of the mechanics is fine: The big problem with my seats was the front/back bushings had disintegrated, but since I made new ones with the 3D printer and PETG the seats are nice and snug. I took one of the rear bolts off a few weeks ago on the passenger side and they looked *flawless* after a year, so the grease down there isn't affecting them and they wear at least as well as the (NLA) factory parts. If anyone needs a set (86 and earlier only, 87 uses the same bushings on the front but something else on the back) let me know.
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]