8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By hessank
I just read Ed's 'So long to a great car' about his Bluemaxx and when he said that, "These cars are so awesome, especially the way they bring us together and create great stories". I just feel the same about my car that I've owned for so long. This is my 3rd 928.

I am currently on a 2-week/5000 mi driving vacation within Canada (borders still closed) and I am so pleased with the performance of this 31 year old car. I've already done 3K and only used 1 qt of oil. Not bad because sometimes I drove it really hard. It is an unbelievable long distance cruiser. Quiet, comfortable and still looks great. I get lots of thumbs-up.

Take a look at this speedo at 80 mph and you can see why.

The long trip has also exposed some weaknesses with my car.
> The AC shuts down (incl Blower) if I run it at Fan Speed 4. However at 3 it runs forever. I suspect my Resister pack is going
> Something (a vacuum pod, possible) is howling behind the dash. It is vacuum dependent. With my foot off the accelerator (full vacuum) the noise goes away. As soon as I hit the throttle its starts howling
> The heat from my titanium wrapped 928 Motorsport's ceramic coated headers produces so much heat in stop & Go traffic that a few times I could not get R Reverse gear (Z06-6 sp). I believe the heat caused the shift mech to heat up and out of range. I had to fight with the gear lever (note to Stirling and Dundertaker)
> I suffered a blowout (tire picked up a 2" piece of scrap metal and ripped the tire. However, I had anticipated something like this and packed a full spare(on a dish type rim). Replaced tire in the next town in Nova Scotia.

Everything that's fixable when I return home :jumper:
worf, linderpat, Bertrand Daoust and 1 others liked this
By Adamant1971
Have an awesome trip Fred. We are back home now from NS. Funny every time I drive I keep looking for the trailer in my rear view. We did 4088 Km’s.
By maddog2020
hessank wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:17 pm I just read Ed's 'So long to a great car' about his Bluemaxx and when he said that, "These cars are so awesome, especially the way they bring us together and create great stories". I just feel the same about my car that I've owned for so long. This is my 3rd 928.

I am currently on a 2-week/5000 mi driving vacation within Canada (borders still closed) and I am so pleased with the performance of this 31 year old car. I've already done 3K and only used 1 qt of oil. Not bad because sometimes I drove it really hard. It is an unbelievable long distance cruiser. Quiet, comfortable and still looks great. I get lots of thumbs-up.

Take a look at this speedo at 80 mph and you can see why.

The long trip has also exposed some weaknesses with my car.
> The AC shuts down (incl Blower) if I run it at Fan Speed 4. However at 3 it runs forever. I suspect my Resister pack is going
> Something (a vacuum pod, possible) is howling behind the dash. It is vacuum dependent. With my foot off the accelerator (full vacuum) the noise goes away. As soon as I hit the throttle its starts howling
> The heat from my titanium wrapped 928 Motorsport's ceramic coated headers produces so much heat in stop & Go traffic that a few times I could not get R Reverse gear (Z06-6 sp). I believe the heat caused the shift mech to heat up and out of range. I had to fight with the gear lever (note to Stirling and Dundertaker)
> I suffered a blowout (tire picked up a 2" piece of scrap metal and ripped the tire. However, I had anticipated something like this and packed a full spare(on a dish type rim). Replaced tire in the next town in Nova Scotia.

Everything that's fixable when I return home :jumper:
Fred,
Glad to hear you are enjoying the 928~! The Z06 has a reverse lockout solenoid to make getting into reverse easier. Its on the very top of the transmission. Most T56 restomods use a relay tied to the brake pedal switch, so that you can only go into reverse with the brake applied. He who shall not be named, like to leave that out and "muscle" past the lockout or modify the spring. Both of these commonly fail making it very difficult to get into reverse. Going into reverse with the 6speed creates the tightest tolerance for the shifter linkage to actually hit the body if the hole was not cut long enough for the shifter linkage.
By hessank
Stirling I do have the Reverse Lockout. You are correct that after installation I was able to get to R without pressing the brake pedal (ign on).
There was no spring. I installed a new switch during one of the 4 times I had the TT out for repairs.
My biggest issue is that the Porsche insulation around the shift lever that was in my car was not re-installed with the new TT.
That is why I'm having heat problems. :banghead: :rtfm:
When the car is cold all 7 gears are easily obtained.
I'm now looking at the best way to insulate this area from the exhaust.
By hessank
maddog2020 wrote:Going into reverse with the 6speed creates the tightest tolerance for the shifter linkage to actually hit the body if the hole was not cut long enough for the shifter linkage.
Stirling can to please elaborate?
At the shift lever end or Tranny?
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]