8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By aridaen
Hi everyone,

I have a really irritating wobbly noise coming from the front of the engine that I was hoping would go away after the TB/WP work, but it hasn't. I finally took a video of it to post and I'm hoping it is an accessory and not the engine itself. The parts I replaced/rebuilt when I was in there are: replaced water pump, replaced oil pump, rebuilt p/s pump. The fan bearings were replaced when I did the intake refresh back in 2019.
[bbvideo]https://youtu.be/aJq5MmHq-s0[/bbvideo]
By MFranke
Have you tried using an engine stethoscope, or a long screwdriver (with your ear on the end) to locate the source?
By worf
aridaen wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:51 pm I have a really irritating wobbly noise coming from the front of the engine ...
Get a 'short' fan belt and eliminate the air pump and see if the noise goes away.
By Addlight
I agree with Worf on seeing if the air pump is the culprit. I had a similar sound on my 86.5 from an air pump with a bad bearing. This is a fairly easy thing to check.

You need a 21" belt for this.

Matt
By aridaen
MFranke wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:56 pm Have you tried using an engine stethoscope, or a long screwdriver (with your ear on the end) to locate the source?
I haven't done that yet, typically I don't have much luck with that method.
By aridaen
SeanR wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:20 pm Yep, it's the air pump.
And to think I actually flipped a coin on the keep/delete the air pump. I think I was in a hurry to drive it and it was easier to keep than delete (waiting for a belt).
By Addlight
Take the old belt to NAPA and they can find you a 21" belt of the same width. That's what I did. I think my belt is actually intended for a tractor or something, but it's the right length and shape.
By Schocki
There are two different belts for two different pulleys (better measure before).
The Fan pulley with 106 mm uses the 21" belt.
86 mm uses a 20" belt.
The belts are normally used for the rotating blades on a riding lawn mower.
By linderpat
Schocki wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:49 am There are two different belts for two different pulleys (better measure before).
The Fan pulley with 106 mm uses the 21" belt.
86 mm uses a 20" belt.
The belts are normally used for the rotating blades on a riding lawn mower.
exactly - you can buy these belts at any lawnmower store. That's where I get mine (my 78 has the air pump deleted )
Bring A Trailer finds

and gauges for fuel level, coolant temperatu[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]