8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By captainOCD
Hello, I'm Matt and I have a 928 problem...

Anyway, thought I'd continue my "I might have a problem" thread from RL (still undecided if I'll continue posting much over there or not).

Anyway, quick recap is I bought the car (my 3rd project 928 in 4 months at the time) in 2018 advertised as parts looking like this:

And now it looks like this:

That dash pod cover was my project this past Saturday. It didn't come out perfect unfortunately. Whoever glued it on at the upholstery shop didn't stretch the cover down far enough so the key hole piece didn't line up exactly. It's still way better than my crap attempt at making my own cover.

Brake cleaner lids work perfect for holding the material to the inside of the knob cutouts while glue dries.

Also while the cluster was out I put in some warm white (close to incandescent color) led "bulbs" in the dash. They're a bit brighter too.

Next project is to clean up and reseal the intake and valve covers. Then I have a new fuel pressure regulator and colder plugs from Roger and some porken chips to throw in.
Last edited by captainOCD on Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Smith, XR4Tim liked this
By captainOCD
Yes, in my driveway last summer. There are still some areas where the paint isn't perfect, but it's fine for a driver quality paint job.

Then lots of wet sanding to get rid of the orange peel I caused. (Still need to do more of that)

By linderpat
wow, impressive nevertheless! Did you repaint it?
Don Smith liked this
By captainOCD
Yes, in my driveway last summer. There are still some areas where the paint isn't perfect, but it's fine for a driver quality paint job.

Then lots of wet sanding to get rid of the orange peel I caused. (Still need to do more of that)

worf, SeanR liked this
By hlee96
Amazing transformation!
Keep us in the loop.
These kind of threads always keep as amateurs inspired with our own projects.

thank you!
By FLInstigator
Looks great! Nice work on the dash and pod!
By captainOCD
Thanks guys, I'll keep this updated as the project progresses.

And I'm very much an amateur at this. Before I got this car I really hadn't worked on much that wasn't an old Chrysler or Chevy V8. As long as you're willing to learn from those here and other sites, and are methodical about what you're doing, nothing on these cars is really that difficult.
MFranke, Don Smith liked this
By captainOCD
@linderpat Don't think I've asked before what area in Pittsburgh you're from. I grew up around Yukon (down I70 from New Stanton).
By captainOCD
I haven't got started on the intake refresh yet, but I did talk to Roger to start getting some parts together to make that happen. In the meantime I decided to get the new cover I've had from classic9 put on the steering wheel. Looks and feels much better than the parts store slip on cover that had been over the old crumbling leather.

MFranke liked this
By Redgt
Great save of a parts car, coming along very nice, steering wheel looks great!
By Sazerac
I don't want to encourage you too much to take on even more projects, but that it is an impressive paint job not even considering that it is a driveway paint job. Man! Well done!

I haven't painted in 20 years now and I don't want to start that again. I found it so hard it's also what gave me my original paint fetish... LOL.
By captainOCD
Thought I'd share some pictures of the progress of the intake refresh. Started it last weekend by tearing things down.
20210509_101924.jpg
Found lots of oil in the valley.
image.png
image.png

Got things cleaned up.
image.png
image.png

Have been working on painting up the parts and routing all of the vacuum lines during the week.
image.png

Everything looks nice and clean in the valvetrain.
image.png

Currently waiting on a couple last parts to arrive (hopefully this week). So with any luck this weekend it might get back together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Don Smith
Ballar status! That is great work.
By Charlie
As an interior geek I can't believe I missed your pod posts. It looks good. You have really been bringing that car back from the dead - excellent work!

For future reference, Jerry Feather has made a pre-airbag pod pattern available for free. If you use naugahyde you can stitch it on a home machine, but leather would be a challenge without a heavy duty machine. Jerry has a great method for thinning the leather at the knob cutouts, which I now use on all my projects.

Sockets were what I used to stretch the knob holes (27mm?). You came up with an equally effective solution.
By captainOCD
The pod knobs are a bit tight still, so thinning them may be in my future.

I decided to order some tensioner pads for the cam chains as well. The slack side pads didn't seem too bad, so I left them alone for now, but the piston side ones were pretty worn. The driver's side was starting to rub in the middle as well.

Vacuum lines all routed and intake runners all bolted back on.

And finally all put back together.

While I had everything apart I found that a couple of the small vacuum lines were melted, sealing them off (didn't look intentional). Everything is now hooked back up with new lines. I tested the main vacuum circuit before putting the intake back together and the only thing that leaked was the emissions valve on the core support, and I capped it off for now.

My idle is a bit random it seems now. Before it was always consistent around 900rpm. Now it varies from 800rpm to about 1050rpm. It doesn't seem to change while idling, just you get something different each time it comes to idle it seems. Not sure if one of the emissions components that wasn't previously functioning is unhappy, or maybe something else. It's not all that annoying though.
By checkmate1996
Looking great! Very nice work. Have you ever met up with any of the buckeye landshark club members since you are not too far from us? Frenzy?
By captainOCD
I've been primarily in SC the last several years, just visiting Pittsburgh a couple times a year. I've been thinking about driving my 928 up there next month, but haven't decided for sure yet.
By checkmate1996
Well if you make it over to columbus you have friends!
By JBRob007
Hear... Hear!!! Awesome job on that car... I would have run away, but your results speak volumes - simply awesome 😎
By captainOCD
My defroster grid on the rear window got hashed pretty badly when removing some janky old tint from the car a few years ago. I stumped upon this site over the weekend selling defroster kits, so thought I'd give it a try. https://frostfighter.com/clear-view-def ... -about.htm

After lots of scraping and cleaning of the remains of the old grid and tint residue, I laid the new grids over the old lines.

New ones are a good bit thicker.

Lower grid laid.

And the top.

Unfortunately the wires are a bit visible, but otherwise not too bad of a fit.

Doesn't look unreasonable to look out of either.

I did have to extend the wires on the one side to reach the connection to the new grid (due to the serpentine layout of it). Otherwise it uses all of the original wiring, and the grids are still wired separately so the hi/low works. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but good to know it's there at least.
By worf
Very cool! And, worthy of its own thread with a good title to make search easier.
By captainOCD
I could probably make another thread with it. I'm waiting for a used defroster relay to get here to see if the high temp will work now. It was sticking on with the ignition off.
By captainOCD
Year and a half gone by and all the car has needed in the meantime was some attention for the coolant bottle.  Have had some lingering smell of coolant when pulling back into the garage for a while and think it was some crispy coolant hoses going to the coolant bottle.  the smaller one with the pressure switch inline was particularly crispy.  

While the tank was out I pressurized it and held it under water in the sink.  Didn't find any air bubbles escaping.

Some new 3/4" hose to the rigid line and 5/16" to the water bridge and rad, and hopefully all is well for a good while now.  So far no coolant smell when pulling back in the garage.

​​​​​​​Image
worf, SeanR liked this
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]