Watercooled 911s
By TheDeckMan
In 2014 I began the search for a 996 Turbo with the end goal to make a semi-clone RWD GT2ish mashup. Over the years I was able to pick up parts here and there to make it even more unique of a build. The trip to Germany and the Ring in 2019 opened some doors via a couple friends that helped chase down rare items for the evolution of the project.

Started out simple with just an exhaust, tune and coilovers...

The original plan was simple, GT2 bumper/aerodynamics, convert to RWD, GT2 Brakes and the mash up of suspension/go fast bits to make a semi clubsport inspired build/, however as we all know how rabbit holes go.....

Being a big believer in saving weight, then adding more power the Widowmaker Project is taking years of track car building and putting it to use to build a real monster. The car already out accelerates like nothing I have ever driven or owned. Closest experience was a 600LT that was pretty close but at no point had the fear and thunder of this car. The goal is some sort of a wild GT2 Clubsport build coming in under 3000lbs wet that can take all the abuse on the track without having to go crazy power wise.

As she sits in 2020:

Body
Werk 996 GT2 Decklid
Porsche 996 GT2 Bumper/radiators/ducting
RSS Roll Bar
Werk 996 Carbon Fan Ducting for airbox
996 GT2 Buckets w/6pts
Rear Seat Delete
Joe Toth Inlet Ducts
Werk 996 Diveplanes

Drivetrain
996 GT2 Clutch/Flywheel
SpeedTech 3" X-Pipe
Ported Headers
UMW Tune
AWE Intercoolers

Suspension/Brakes
RWD Conversion
H&R RSS Coil Overs
Champion Motorsports Thrust Arms F/R
RSS Wheel Studs
Phenix Engineering Solid LCA Bushings
Phenix Engineering Upper Rear Control Arms
Phenix Engineering Rear Toe Links and lock plates
Phenix Engineering Shifter Bushings
997 Shifter
RSS Engine Mounts
996 GT2/GT3 Steel 6pots
350mm Turbo Front Rotors
997 GT3 Brake Ducts

In process of grabbing some more parts that finally made it over from Germany after a long wait from Covid, but the current plan is going under the knife late February for:

Body
Werk996-MM Racing Kevlar Doors
Porsche 996 GT3RS Kevar Hood
Werk 996 Carbon GT2 Front bumper
Werk 996 Carbon Euro Rear Bumper
Werk 996 Carbon Roof
Werk 996 Carbon Spoiler Lip
Werk 996-MM Side Inlets
Porsche 996 GT2 Clubsport Full Cage
996 Cup Steering Wheel
Remove Rear Wiper
GMG Carbon Lip
Full Repaint in some color....TBD

Drivetrain
Weld Coolant Fittings
Porsche GT2 Slave/Power Steering
Transmission Cooler
Porsche Cup Car Differential
Evoms 2.5" Inlet Pipes
Porsche 964 RS Flywheel
Porsche Sachs Race Engineering "764" pressure plate
Porsche GT3RS 4.0 liter clutch disk
Porsche 4.0 GT3RS Crank Pulley
Cup Electric Steering
Porsche 997 Turbo 350mm Rear Brakes
Last edited by TheDeckMan on Tue May 04, 2021 9:05 am, edited 8 times in total.
SeanR, Daniel5691 liked this
By TheDeckMan
Thanks! Yeah super stoked to see all polished up and in sun light!
By fpena944
I think we need more detail! :biggrin:
By TheDeckMan
fpena944 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:21 pm I think we need more detail! :biggrin:
Some updates :beerchug:
By Cuda911
TheDeckMan wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:45 pm
fpena944 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:21 pm I think we need more detail! :biggrin:
Some updates :beerchug:
Thx for the updates! Very informative!
By TheDeckMan
Cuda911 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:01 pm
Thx for the updates! Very informative!
Thanks Mike!

Right now for paint colors down to 2 finals, there is a blue that could be a contender but Green is in the lead as already have silver/red/gray for the other cars. I did buy this as a black on black with no carbon as knowing it would get a color change at some point.

Olive Green

Fashion Grey
By TheDeckMan
This was another color that I have been tossing around, Adria Blue
David993S, mussberger liked this
By amdavid
Yeah, I like both the green and blue, however Fashion Grey seems the most appropriate for a "widow maker".
TheDeckMan liked this
By TheDeckMan
XR4Tim wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:55 am That one is by far my pick.
amdavid wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:48 pm Yeah, I like both the green and blue, however Fashion Grey seems the most appropriate for a "widow maker".
Fashion and Adria are the two picks pics in that order from the fellow who will be painting the car and doing the carbon roof bonding.

Fashion Grey
Pros:
+Grey always looks clean
+Grey would fly a little more under the radar
+Grey works well with black interior/wheels as well as silver.
+Works really well with Carbon
Cons:
-Another Grey Car
-Not super punchy difference in color pallet to other cars in the garage. Corrado being the odd one out being Flash Red.
-Does not look as good on painted hard backs/cage
-Seems like everyone is doing grey builds

Adria Blue
Pros:
+Works well with black/silver
+Not overly flashy
+Timeless color
+Would add some color to the toys
+Works well with red
+Works well with painted hardbacks and roll bar

Cons:
-Not always sold on blue
-Seems like everyone is doing blue builds

Olive Green
Pros:
+Wild color for a 996
+Not as wild as Signal/Birch/Viper
+Shows off hip lines well
+Works well with yellow
+Works well with silver
+Would work well on painted hardbacks
+Rare to see Green used on builds

Cons:
-Does not work as well with black
-Does not work as well with carbon
-I have not see this in person so might be a bit loud
By TheDeckMan
Weight savings are always about the small details hidden away like this. (2.5lbs) came out of the rear bumper re-bar without removing the bumperettes which will yield some more weight.

Euro Bumper (11.4lbs) vs Carbon Euro Bumper (5lbs)

The GT3RS hood was a hard item to chase down but the quality vs a Cup Car hood is amazing. Originally I was going to use a cup hood which is now wall art as being able to get my hands on a RS hood was a Holy Grail moment. This hood uses the factory hood struts and latch.
(25lbs in weight savings)

Manthey Carbon/Kevlar doors offer to be able to retain all the factory airbag and components. These are also found on high spec Ruf builds, again a work of art in making things light. Too bad they will be hidden behind paint.
(40lbs weight savings per door)
So lite!
amdavid liked this
By TheDeckMan
New Years eve with the shop shut down for the long weekend, I took the chance to run down to NJ to pick up some of the last parts that showed up from Germany for the build. Alas the differential is still stuck in Germany so that will have to wait.

Averaging 17.8mpgs the new Tundra was a blast there and back.

New roll cage from a MR 996 GT2 that got returned to stock.

I tried to buy the entire GT2 but just could not swing it so settled for buying a bunch of parts from it. I can only imagine how tough it would have been to bring the car into the US during Covid. At least it lives on and still good friends with the seller who upgraded to a DP 935 :burnout:

Wheel and seat out of the same car

New carbon spoiler lip

New carbon roof to allow removal of the sunroof and all that weight off the top of the car.

Carbon 996 GT2 Bumper which will be used on the car, the OEM one will get painted as well but put on a shelf as they are so hard to come by.

With these parts all here finally, I need to clean up some space in one of the garage sections to use as the body shop, where my buddy Markus from Werk996 will be staying up here for a couple weeks helping getting the body work sorted out. The plan is to tackle body work then finally engine/drivetrain updates during the summer. This should get the car done hopefully for Porsches on the Mountain at Palmer Motorsports in October.
Last edited by TheDeckMan on Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amdavid liked this
By fpena944
Looking good!

For the sake of differentiation I would then go with the green color. I'm partial to blue but if you aren't sold on it then a green Porsche that is not from the 60s or 70s is quite a rare site.
By linderpat
yeah, I love that green! Hands down my favorite of the bunch. If going into the blues. consider minerva blue - it's a Porsche color from back in the day.
By TheDeckMan
fpena944 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:35 pm Looking good!

For the sake of differentiation I would then go with the green color. I'm partial to blue but if you aren't sold on it then a green Porsche that is not from the 60s or 70s is quite a rare site.
linderpat wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:15 pm yeah, I love that green! Hands down my favorite of the bunch. If going into the blues. consider minerva blue - it's a Porsche color from back in the day.
The Olive green is pretty damn stunning, being an old color that was revived for the 991's really shows how well it works with modern stuff. The blue is a bit harder. For blues/colors I am staying non-metalic. Minerva blue is a nice color and saw it on a 996 GT3, it is a bit too light for me personally. Painting some sample sheets and perhaps figuring out how to use photoshop to try the colors out on the car might be in order, or find someone to play with some colors.
By TheDeckMan
Yanked the old RSS 901 bar out and tossed it into a buddies 996 in prep for the clubsport cage going in. I was about to put the clubsport in but found a full GT2 Clubsport interior that has to be shipped so have to wait for that to show up, this will be a good time to yank all the carpets out and door cards.

diddy2003 liked this
By TheDeckMan
75 % sold on Olive Green for the build as it will be a stunning color worthy of the insanity.
By amdavid
I always like green so no opposition from me. I think the green will make more of a statement.
By TheDeckMan
amdavid wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:15 pm I always like green so no opposition from me. I think the green will make more of a statement.

Absolutely! Plus is that green is also a nice departure from the current garage colors. When I get around the the Midget project for the GF she wants that in Miami blue so that could scratch the blue itch.
amdavid liked this
By TheDeckMan
What drew me to the 996 GT2 was a couple videos that were floating around the web in the early 2000's of Robs 996 GT2 Doing the Gumball 3000.

First such video, then followed by IMV Films Team Tork and the Scumballers. If you have not seen the DVD it is worth a watch from the early days of internet sensations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRE6lTl7So0

http://www.imvfilms.com/product_info.ph ... e52159f19e

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPHQ7NSyQDI&t=12s

From that point on a monster GT2 was the be all end all car for myself.
By TheDeckMan
The current headers are a ported 996tt set that I swapped in a couple years ago, some 997tt units which are pretty much the same except a slightly larger bore and have more welding on the outside of the headers.

997tt on left and 996tt on right.

996tt port

996tt hot side flange weld

997tt hot side flange weld

997tt port (3% taller and 7.7% wider over welds)

Simply porting the 996tt headers makes for a much faster spool of ~500rpms, I will be using the 997tt ones and then doing a light port on them to yield even better flow for faster spool.

Sent out a spare intake for the Evoms 2.5" inlet conversion, which Kevin suggest for better power and able to support larger turbos. From what I have been told this can be a bit of a PITA to fit but with a heat gun and some better clamps is not an issue.

All of these supporting components will go well when I upgrade the turbos at some point from K16's to K16/24's for a nice little power hike.
amdavid liked this
By TheDeckMan
Weights:

Roof
Carbon Roof 6.8lbs (11.5lbs / 47.6lbs savings)
Steel non-sunroof 18.3lbs
Steel with sunroof 54.4lbs
By TheDeckMan
Back to the color discussion. After talking over some more with Markus he threw in a couple curve balls for color thoughts. This is tough...so many options!

Signal Orange

Slate Gray non-metallic

Aqua Marine Blue
By amdavid
You know what they say about too many choices....go with your gut. I like orange on THAT 911, not so sure about a 997.

I don't think the slate, as much as I like is going to give you what you're looking for..idk..
TheDeckMan liked this
By TheDeckMan
amdavid wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:30 pm You know what they say about too many choices....go with your gut. I like orange on THAT 911, not so sure about a 997.

I don't think the slate, as much as I like is going to give you what you're looking for..idk..

I hear you on going with your gut! Sucks that the 996's did not come in many colors and not many people have done wild builds/color changes on them really as of yet, so sort of paving the way here as a hot rod GT2 build.
By amdavid
TheDeckMan wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:51 pm
amdavid wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:30 pm You know what they say about too many choices....go with your gut. I like orange on THAT 911, not so sure about a 997.

I hear you on going with your gut! Sucks that the 996's did not come in many colors and not many people have done wild builds/color changes on them really as of yet, so sort of paving the way here as a hot rod GT2 build.

Yeah. I meant the 996 btw.. :biggrin:
By Flat6Noise
This car is incredible! I can’t wait to see what it’s final (never really final ;) ) weight will be. No matter what color(s) you choose, the car will still be incredible. I understand the subdued hues of a few of the selections, but this car could also really visually pop to match what it is. It could even go with a variation of something like Martini livery with multiple colors over some of those selections and still easily pull it off because of all of the mods. But this is coming from someone with a Guards Red turbo, so I’m admittedly biased toward loud colors on these cars. And that carbon is so pretty, it’s almost a shame to cover it. Plus, paint is heavy! ;) Are you going to completely de-badge it? I remember following this over at the other place, but lost track. Thanks for sharing this project over here.

And just an option, but you could always wrap the car in one of your final color choices and live with it for a little while to make certain you want to marry it before it’s painted.
By TheDeckMan
Flat6Noise wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:56 am This car is incredible! I can’t wait to see what it’s final (never really final ;) ) weight will be. No matter what color(s) you choose, the car will still be incredible. I understand the subdued hues of a few of the selections, but this car could also really visually pop to match what it is. It could even go with a variation of something like Martini livery with multiple colors over some of those selections and still easily pull it off because of all of the mods. But this is coming from someone with a Guards Red turbo, so I’m admittedly biased toward loud colors on these cars. And that carbon is so pretty, it’s almost a shame to cover it. Plus, paint is heavy! ;) Are you going to completely de-badge it? I remember following this over at the other place, but lost track. Thanks for sharing this project over here.

And just an option, but you could always wrap the car in one of your final color choices and live with it for a little while to make certain you want to marry it before it’s painted.
Thanks for the complements!

There will be some exposed carbon like the roof, dive planes and gurney flap. The doors/hood and bumpers will all be color matched. Absolutely agree on a loud color, personally love skittle colors and pastels. I had thought of doing a Gulf or Martini Livery but solid color is way more my style, if and when I can get my hands on a cup....that will be Gulf or Martini :eyepop:

I had thought about wrapping it, but the cost to have someone do it is about the same as what this is going to run me to paint it considering I will be doing a lot of the elbow work on this. When I painted the Corrado it was in a barn so figure with renting a paint booth for a couple days it will be way better than even that car.
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:09 am One more vote for orange. That's a great color for a track car. :thumbup:
It would really stand out on the track! Not like it will have any issue with making a pass anyways. "Point by? You didnt see the bright orange sun bearing down on you spitting fire along the way and shaking the earth like a Tiger tank?"
Flat6Noise liked this
By amdavid
Couple of cool (IMO) colors. Looking forward to hearing what your decision on this will be....:question:

TheDeckMan liked this
By TheDeckMan
Both of those are interesting David, leaning towards a non-metallic. Holding up orange against the car looked good, but then thought a little lighter might be even nicer. Signal Yellow then came up in the conversation as a little more pastel in color and not quite yellow or orange.

Signal orange would look very good with some of the exposed carbon like the roof and gurney flap/splitter.
By TheDeckMan
Well it is official, Markus gave me a ring and we start the body work last week of the month. Goal is to have all the carbon panels on and the entire body primed, which will have to harden then we can block and prep for paint some time in May. That will give me some time to tackle pulling the interior and getting the roll cage in.

In preparation began emptying out the dead car garage to use as the body shop until later this year when I grind the floors and epoxy/paint to setup the fabrication room.

With some help of some friends we got all 6 cars out and moved to the other garage and began the cleaning process.

Time to get busy!
amdavid liked this
By TheDeckMan
And here we go!
By TheDeckMan
Got a call a couple weeks ago from Markus at Werk996 saying he had an opening to come up and start work on the Widowmaker Project. So I spent all weekend cleaning out one of the garages to use as a body shop for the time being as I have not got around to painting the walls or floors yet. Figure might as well use it as the body/paint room for the time being.

Next step was to pull all the parts out of the attic for Markus to begin his magic.

Late night last night he was able to get the hood sprayed with primer.
By amdavid
Where are we/you with color choice...??

Fantastic stuff btw, inspiring. I imagine there's nothing like taking apart a 911 and reassembling everything to your spec. Lovely.
By fpena944
Great progress!
By TheDeckMan
amdavid wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:36 am Where are we/you with color choice...??

Fantastic stuff btw, inspiring. I imagine there's nothing like taking apart a 911 and reassembling everything to your spec. Lovely.
Paint is till several months out at this current juncture, the primer needs to harden for 2 months, then blocked, final coat then 2 more months. So still deciding on color but not in a rush as it looks late summer before we can spray it. Then the paint will harden for 2 months then wetsand/polish. So at this point we might not make the October Porsche on the Mountain Event with it, which is fine as rushing perfection is pointless.

That also allows more time to chase down some other odds and ends like the new turbos and wheels/GT2 knuckles, then knock out the transmission work.

You are right it is so nice to be able to do a build like this where each part of it is a custom 911 to the Nth degree. Going to be one hell of a hotrod 996 Turbo.
fpena944 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:47 amGreat progress!
:beerchug:
By TheDeckMan
Slow going yesterday with Markus getting several coats on the doors and getting the initial blocking done. Today is bumper day with Friday moving to fitment of the doors/bumpers/hood.

By TheDeckMan
After much debate pretty sold on Aqua Marine Blue (non-met)

XR4Tim, Louis de Funes liked this
By TheDeckMan
Got some progress to get the bumper off and some things shuttled around last night to move the lift into the other garage. Markus was busy putting some primer coats on the carbon bumpers.
XR4Tim liked this
By TheDeckMan
Weekend allowed us to get the bumpers on as well as the hood.

Along with pulling off the Joe Toth inlet add-ons to be replaced by Werk996-MM inlets.

Test fitting the first door
amdavid liked this
By TheDeckMan
Yesterdays progress moved things right along with pulling the rear quarter glass, getting the drivers door on and beginning the interior removal.
By TheDeckMan
Doors on look

Of course found this little kink in the fender which will require replacement.
By Scott at Team Harco
What is your weight target/ estimate? Is there a minimum for the 'class' you will run in?
By TheDeckMan
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:45 pm What is your weight target/ estimate? Is there a minimum for the 'class' you will run in?
Scott,

Shooting for 3000-3100lbs with me in the car, as for class it is more a DE special done similar to the GT2 Clubsports that were available in Europe.

https://www.elferspot.com/en/car/porsch ... 02-597998/
By Scott at Team Harco
TheDeckMan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:04 pm
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:45 pm What is your weight target/ estimate? Is there a minimum for the 'class' you will run in?
Scott,

Shooting for 3000-3100lbs with me in the car, as for class it is more a DE special done similar to the GT2 Clubsports that were available in Europe.

Nice. That's a good target - especially with driver.

I built a modest little racer a few years ago. A RWD Dodge Colt (don't laugh - it's one of the most fun-to-drive (race) cars I've owned). It started life, when I got it, as a 2650 lb rally car. I took over 1000 lbs out of it. Had to add ballast to bring it to the class minimum. I won't take from your thread with more details...
By TheDeckMan
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:20 pm
TheDeckMan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:04 pm
Scott,

Nice. That's a good target - especially with driver.

I built a modest little racer a few years ago. A RWD Dodge Colt (don't laugh - it's one of the most fun-to-drive (race) cars I've owned). It started life, when I got it, as a 2650 lb rally car. I took over 1000 lbs out of it. Had to add ballast to bring it to the class minimum. I won't take from your thread with more details...

I absolutely hear you! Took Markus out in my TT the other night which is 500lbs lighter than stock and 150+ more hp, he could not believe it. Weight savings are huge!
By TheDeckMan
Sample quart made up to test spray :rockon:

XR4Tim, mussberger liked this
Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]