By DAVfoto
I'm jumping the gun seriously on this thought but I have been looking at Ferraris a lot lately. Just something about them that gives me goosebumps.

Cars I want or have been looking at:

1999 550 Maranello
2011 458 Italia
2014ish Ferrari FF

Probably a budget of 100-160 but those are my cars. Won't happen for 5 years probably but one can dream. If you guys were going the F car route, similar budget. Which way would you go?
By Fox_
You've got higher aspirations than me. :lol:

At one point a low end 997 was almost within reason. Give the events of the past year and a half, my aspirations dare go no higher than and 2016 Cayman.
By E55AMG
Italia is sweet. Was never a fan of FF. Haven't followed F car pricing lately but i'd look at Italia or 430 Scuderia.
By DAVfoto
Fox_ wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:03 pm You've got higher aspirations than me. :lol:

At one point a low end 997 was almost within reason. Give the events of the past year and a half, my aspirations dare go no higher than and 2016 Cayman.
I'm probably shooting above my pay range a bit but I think having these goals helps me push the limits of business. We are slowly getting our wedding company off the ground and with the possibility of getting into construction management. I will work my ass off for one of these cars.
By DAVfoto
E55AMG wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:08 pm Italia is sweet. Was never a fan of FF. Haven't followed F car pricing lately but i'd look at Italia or 430 Scuderia.
Scud is a good choice as well, but probably a little on the higher side of pricing that I think I could really do. I also don't mind going a bit higher mileage (30k-40k) and I know that is a lot in a Ferrari but I want to drive this car!

Something about the FF that just says cool. V12, 650 hp and back seats with the ability to put a mountain bike on the roof with the Seasucker bike rack.
By amdavid
Yeah, dreamed about them as a kid GTO, F40, etc. When I had my 993 4S my neighbor had a 328 and a 512BB, the 512 I only saw twice. He drove his 328 quite a bit and we did a few drives together and ended up switching cars one day. The 328 just didn't drive that well and fit and finish was not there yet. I know newer F cars have improved greatly, I just feel they're more of a "look at and listen to" car unless you have a ton of dough.

If you can swing it, why not, you're probably not going to lose much if you have to turn it over. If you do, make sure to post a WOT drive by and pics. :)
By groovzilla
What about a nicely kept 308 GTSI??

8-)
By DAVfoto
groovzilla wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:49 pm What about a nicely kept 308 GTSI??

8-)
I have been looking at 308s and 328s and I do love the look. Never driven one and don't know how they drive. I need to pull some Gs though so probably looking at 430 and newer. I do remember pushing a 360 around when I worked for a high end dealer and it didn't feel fast enough.

I may change my tune once I have the money to do this. It's all fluid right now!
By groovzilla
DAVfoto wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:00 pm

8-)
I have been looking at 308s and 328s and I do love the look. Never driven one and don't know how they drive. I need to pull some Gs though so probably looking at 430 and newer. I do remember pushing a 360 around when I worked for a high end dealer and it didn't feel fast enough.

I may change my tune once I have the money to do this. It's all fluid right now!
Ferrari not as comfy as a Porsche 997. More like driving a 911SC. You will feel the bumps and if you are still downtown not so fun.
Got rid of mine after only a year and much prefer the Porsche's
But the sexy lines are always missed!
By DAVfoto
groovzilla wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:22 pm
DAVfoto wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:00 pm

8-)

Ferrari not as comfy as a Porsche 997. More like driving a 911SC. You will feel the bumps and if you are still downtown not so fun.
Got rid of mine after only a year and much prefer the Porsche's
But the sexy lines are always missed!
Oh for sure, I have had wheel time in a 360, 430, 458, Cali, Portofino but I haven't driven any of the older cars. Ferraris felt a bit more compliant than Lamborghini though. Lambos gave me back pains.
By amdavid
Not sure what Porsche's you're coming from, but my guess is you'd be disappointed with the drive of a 308/328.

The Ferrari appeal runs deep!

[/quote]

[/quote]
By David993S
DAVfoto wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:16 pm I'm jumping the gun seriously on this thought but I have been looking at Ferraris a lot lately. Just something about them that gives me goosebumps.

Cars I want or have been looking at:

1999 550 Maranello
2011 458 Italia
2014ish Ferrari FF

Probably a budget of 100-160 but those are my cars. Won't happen for 5 years probably but one can dream. If you guys were going the F car route, similar budget. Which way would you go?
The Italia is probably the way to go. It's what I'll buy if I ever get rid of the 360. The 458 is going to be more expensive to buy than a 550, but less expensive to maintain. I'm not completely familiar with the FF, but when you're ready to buy, go drive both and decide. Did you consider a 430? Much better cars than the 360 (but not as attractive, IMHO), no timing belts, better F1 gearbox, etc. A good car for in-between a 360 and 458. They're fantastic cars.
By groovzilla
About 25 years ago I was fortunate to find a really nice 1979 308GTSI owned by a Japanese Businessman in SF.
Car was beautiful with only 16K miles. Original Toolkit, Service records/etc.
As you may know most all Ferrari's from that era, their original laquer paint has checked. Many of these cars have been repainted.
My car was red/black had a 10+ repaint that was flawless. The owner had spent $18K on the repaint at top end shop.
Finding black interior is hard but I don;t like the tan.
1979 308 GTS ferrari 2006 (1).jpg

8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Airkuhl
Old school Ferraris have plenty of quality issues but you feel the intent of them. The interior is a cheap and light afterthought. Comfort is your problem. But there is nothing like it.

Something happened several years ago at Ferrari and the newer ones are quite different. IMO better. Starting with maybe the 458/FF/F12, suddenly the interior quality leapfrogged Porsche. The "entry level" Portofino is faster around a track than an Enzo, as easy to drive as a Camry, has an Aston level interior, in comfort mode drives almost as smooth as a Bentley and comes with up to 5 years of warranty. And then you can put the folding hardtop down and get in effect a whole new car. Maybe it lost the last 5% of steering feel and engine noise, but only in comparison to older Ferraris, not other marques.

I guess it depends what you want out of a car. I had a roll-caged '73 911 and a plush 997, both have their place. I both miss and don't miss both. :D
By DAVfoto
Airkuhl wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:28 pm Old school Ferraris have plenty of quality issues but you feel the intent of them. The interior is a cheap and light afterthought. Comfort is your problem. But there is nothing like it.

Something happened several years ago at Ferrari and the newer ones are quite different. IMO better. Starting with maybe the 458/FF/F12, suddenly the interior quality leapfrogged Porsche. The "entry level" Portofino is faster around a track than an Enzo, as easy to drive as a Camry, has an Aston level interior, in comfort mode drives almost as smooth as a Bentley and comes with up to 5 years of warranty. And then you can put the folding hardtop down and get in effect a whole new car. Maybe it lost the last 5% of steering feel and engine noise, but only in comparison to older Ferraris, not other marques.

I guess it depends what you want out of a car. I had a roll-caged '73 911 and a plush 997, both have their place. I both miss and don't miss both. :D
I can see the front end of the Portofino in your avatar. Is that what you own now? I did test drive one and that thing was quick on the shifts, brakes were grabby but I would get used to that. Rode well!

Wife likes older 911s and I have thought about throwing the 993 Turbo into the list but it would have be a higher mileage one to stay under the price range I am thinking. I'm also banking on my two businesses to start doing well and the possibility of this new job in construction management working out as well. I feel like I would like to have a car that I could pamper, drive on the weekends and really have fun with it similar to what my Dad has done with his older Bentley that he has had for 44 years.
By Airkuhl
DAVfoto wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:01 pm
Airkuhl wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:28 pm Old school Ferraris have plenty of quality issues but you feel the intent of them. The interior is a cheap and light afterthought. Comfort is your problem. But there is nothing like it.

I can see the front end of the Portofino in your avatar. Is that what you own now? I did test drive one and that thing was quick on the shifts, brakes were grabby but I would get used to that. Rode well!

Wife likes older 911s and I have thought about throwing the 993 Turbo into the list but it would have be a higher mileage one to stay under the price range I am thinking. I'm also banking on my two businesses to start doing well and the possibility of this new job in construction management working out as well. I feel like I would like to have a car that I could pamper, drive on the weekends and really have fun with it similar to what my Dad has done with his older Bentley that he has had for 44 years.
Not quite there yet on the Porto, will post more next week. Frankly it's much more appealing to me these days than something shoutier like a 488. I no longer have a track near me and 20 years of many track days got that out of my system. I'd buy a dedicated track car if I got back into it.

The balancing act with a vintage car is how much of a pain it is to deal with. I made the mistake of over-restoring my '73. I got to the point where I barely used it. Too much hassle to deal with and keep clean and worrying about stuff. I got 3-4 wonderful drives a year out of it, the rest of the time I almost resented it taking up garage space and doing nothing. I'd drive for 4 hours then wash for 2. Not my thing anymore. If I were to buy a vintage car, it would have to be a "driver" where I can ignore the stone chips and is simple enough to work on with basic tools.
By XR4Tim
Maybe I'm the only one on here who prefers the FF. It's a very usable F-car.
By DAVfoto
Airkuhl wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:50 pm
DAVfoto wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:01 pm

Not quite there yet on the Porto, will post more next week. Frankly it's much more appealing to me these days than something shoutier like a 488. I no longer have a track near me and 20 years of many track days got that out of my system. I'd buy a dedicated track car if I got back into it.

The balancing act with a vintage car is how much of a pain it is to deal with. I made the mistake of over-restoring my '73. I got to the point where I barely used it. Too much hassle to deal with and keep clean and worrying about stuff. I got 3-4 wonderful drives a year out of it, the rest of the time I almost resented it taking up garage space and doing nothing. I'd drive for 4 hours then wash for 2. Not my thing anymore. If I were to buy a vintage car, it would have to be a "driver" where I can ignore the stone chips and is simple enough to work on with basic tools.
Looking forward to seeing the Porto when you decide to go that route! I played around with the Porto yesterday in Forza Horizon 4. Sound is a bit off as they just used the same sound from the 488, and Pista.

I'm starting to lean towards a 458. Pininfarina knocked that one out of the park.
By ThunderRolls
XR4Tim wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:59 pm Maybe I'm the only one on here who prefers the FF. It's a very usable F-car.
The shooting brake design is not for me, although plenty of people like it. I felt like the 09-10 612's were the perfect 4 seaters. A very modern car with vintage lines and appeal - a touring car Mr. Ferrari would have loved. It hearkens back to the 375
By DAVfoto
Shooting brake design is very different but the 612 Scag is just not pretty imo. It may look like a new version of a 275 GTB/4 but I think it looks like a boat.

the FF and the 4lusso really have sleek lines with extremely long hoods for that front mid engine thing going on but they definitely appeal and I quite like them. I think once a nice FF makes it to 90-100 I will jump on that!
By Yossarian
I've read some pretty bad stuff about the 550 over the years. I haven't ever owned one though.

Like all of the Ferraris from 20+ yrs ago, look up the common problems so at least you know what you're getting into.
By David993S
I love my 360. Owned it about 16 years. 54,xxx miles. Runs better than new:
Picture003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By ThunderRolls
DAVfoto wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:22 pm Shooting brake design is very different but the 612 Scag is just not pretty imo. It may look like a new version of a 275 GTB/4 but I think it looks like a boat.

the FF and the 4lusso really have sleek lines with extremely long hoods for that front mid engine thing going on but they definitely appeal and I quite like them. I think once a nice FF makes it to 90-100 I will jump on that!
I wouldn't kick any of them out of bed ... ;)
By DAVfoto
Between 458 an FF for me. Probably both well within budget once I start getting the funds together (I will get the job I want and I will save this freakin money up)

Rosso Corsa 458 with gunmetal wheels or black would be ideal:

The lines on this car are just phenomenal!

By Bill d Cat
Fox_ wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:49 pm https://youtu.be/Is-5KHVoYPQ
Not sure what kind of environmentally-friendly **** NJ DOT sprays on the highways, but between that and the ocean salt spray, I can tell you that it will dissolve Hondas.

Ferraris are among the most beautiful cars on the road and I encourage other people to own them so that I can admire them.
By CBEJBL
F12 for me. So few options for NA 12 cylinder cars.
By dryadsdad
I think there are very few cars in all of history that looked at good as the 458. I know nothing about them nor will I ever own or even drive one but like everybody, I can look.

You're sitting well if you can consider buying one. I hope the owning is as enjoyable as the wanting.
By DAVfoto
dryadsdad wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:53 pm I think there are very few cars in all of history that looked at good as the 458. I know nothing about them nor will I ever own or even drive one but like everybody, I can look.

You're sitting well if you can consider buying one. I hope the owning is as enjoyable as the wanting.
Not sitting as well as I'd want and no I probably won't get this for a while. Just dreaming but I will bust my ass to figure out how to own one in 5 years. We shall see! 458 is the goal though!
By fpena944
Lately there has been CRAP on television.

But thankfully our cable box has a built in YouTube app. So I started watching car vehicles. Got stuck watching quite a few 458 videos.

Had the laptop in front of me and looked up the closest 458 to me in AutoTrader.

Found a 2012, gorgeous and set up just how I want it. But wow, these things hold their value as they still want $184k for it! Told my wife I believe it's worth the sacrifice. I got eye rolls and no other response.

Kept reading further into the ad and oh wow, they offer free no-touch delivery! Ok that seals the deal. :D
DAVfoto liked this
By Airkuhl
fpena944 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:57 am Lately there has been CRAP on television.

But thankfully our cable box has a built in YouTube app. So I started watching car vehicles. Got stuck watching quite a few 458 videos.

Had the laptop in front of me and looked up the closest 458 to me in AutoTrader.

Found a 2012, gorgeous and set up just how I want it. But wow, these things hold their value as they still want $184k for it! Told my wife I believe it's worth the sacrifice. I got eye rolls and no other response.

Kept reading further into the ad and oh wow, they offer free no-touch delivery! Ok that seals the deal. :D
Do it!!!!

I did, and all I can say is, now I get it. I've owned a few pretty unique 911's and loved them, but this is another level.
By DAVfoto
fpena944 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:57 am Lately there has been CRAP on television.

Airkuhl wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:27 pm

Do it!!!!

I did, and all I can say is, now I get it. I've owned a few pretty unique 911's and loved them, but this is another level.
Definitely go for it

And yes, Ferraris do feel like they are another level. I had a 458 for a week when I worked for a High end Dealer and fell in love with it then. That is also when I fell in love with the 958 GTS and got one less than 2 years ago.
By fpena944
It's absolutely a longer-term goal but for right now I have to plan to purchase our next home when we head back to NC. So it will have to be put on hold until after then.

But there will be one in my future for sure!

For what it is worth, only the rear Yokes are Po[…]

Rear Brake line Seized

Thanks Dave. I surely don't want to mess with the […]

Gary, been reading a little in the wiring primer. […]

Plan would be a light coat under the nut, a well[…]