Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By hans14914
Like many of you, I have run into the issue on cam cover fitting availability and options. To solve this for myself, I have started building up a portfolio of different fittings for my various builds. This collection of fittings is machined from 6061 and anodized in satin clear. A small amount of the blanking plugs were anodized bright black if you wanted to replace an OEM plastic part with one that will seal better but look similar to stock.

All the breather fittings have been designed with the largest possible bore as the pass through the valve cover to reduce velocity, there are no internal restrictions.

All fittings can be clocked in either the up or down direction, so there is no handedness. Sealing is improved by adding an extra face seal between the valve cover and the baffle nut.

The baffle nuts are threaded to allow a gentle amount of preload to be exerted by this face seal. The nut is then retained with a circlip. Tension is maintained by installing shims between the nut and the circlip (two 0.51mm stainless shims included to make sure the nut stays snug on almost any cam cover).

The baffle nut has more open cross-sectional area than the port itself, but adequately shrouds the inlet and resists any vacuum scavenging through multiple openings.

The lower deflector plate is made of stainless steel, and also retained by a circlip. This baffle plate is solid on the elbow fittings, but both a solid and perforated deflector plate is included with the 8ORB strait fitting to promote drainage if it is used as an occasional fill port (either can be installed during assembly). These deflector plates are also not required, installation is optional, and additional scrubber material could be installed in the baffle nut if desired.

All fittings are currently available, but I am retaining the first batch of 10AN fittings for my existing projects. Another batch is being ordered this month, so please let me know if you want any of that style, and I will increase that replenishment order.

Last edited by hans14914 on Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SeanR, Bertrand Daoust, Rick Carter and 4 others liked this
By h2pmr
a thing of beauty, quality and craftsmanship.
perforated deflector plate as per an S4 wheel, now that's pure class.
stunning
Phil
hernanca liked this
By Zirconocene
I'm in, if you need a count for planning purposes. To be honest, I've been trying to learn about these issues the best I can, through the work that Mike Benno has been doing, but I don't think I can say with any degree of certainty that I really have a handle on what's going on. What I DO know is that these are astoundingly pretty pieces and I would love to have them on my car. The S4 will be the first to get a top end refresh, so I'll start there. I'm open to guidance on port sizing.

Cheers
By hans14914
I have everything here. Just the first batch of the 12AN I am already using for my stuff, so need to reorder more of those next week. Not sure there is much interest in those, so holding off on the reorder to see if anyone else needs something that big. May make some -10AN in the next batch too.
By Gary Knox
Hans,
Very interested. I did not see the discussion of these at Frenzy, as it seemed to be simultaneous with Stan's review of thrust bearing prevention. Sorry I missed it.

I have assembled all the materials necessary to implement the modifications involved in Gregg Brown's modification for reducing oil ingestion on a '95 GTS, but have not yet started. Please discuss the comparison of oil reduction between these NEW components and the expected result from Gregg's procedure. I don't have a lot of ingestion in the '95, but minimizing oil ingestion is a good way of improving combustion and reducing carbon buildup.

Comments about pricing for FOUR of these for the GTS would be appreciated also.

This certainly looks like GREAT work. My compliments.
Gary
By worf
Gary Knox wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:27 am … FOUR of these for the GTS would be appreciated also.
Late model GTS has 3. Yes, it’s a great idea to add #4, but better if that also increases engine breathing rather than just plumbing it back into another breather hose.

You can use both GB’s and Hans’ pieces simultaneously, BTW.

If you want to.
By hans14914
These were designed to have a low vertical profile so they will fit under GB baffle plates.

If you want to belt and suspender the breathing situation, these will fit just fine.

There certainly is a known good solution with the GB baffle plates, but original Porsche elbows are now NLA in some sizes and orientation. You have to modify new fittings to get them to fit depending on the intended use.

I also needed a secure larger diameter connection for some other projects, which is where the AN flavor came from. The 8ORB I am using in a driver cover for a fill port. It's pretty versatile since you can install any number of fittings, reducer bushings for sensors, use it as a filler....

At the end of the day, I just like having options, and that's what these are. They were not designed to compete with existing products - and they can't. If you want a concourse aesthetic, use original elbows and GB baffle plates. If that is not a concern, and you don't want to modify elbows to fit, then this is a good option, and will flow better than a cast elbow without reaming.
By Gary Knox
Thank you Hans for the added information. Since my car doesn't have a serious oil ingestion problem, and I have all the materials (including 4th and 5th elbows - Mark would only sell them in pairs) for the 'belt' upgrade, I think I will forgo the 'suspenders' (per David).

GREAT WORK however, and I'm sure I would be interested if not already on the previous path. By the way, I have ONE elbow I won't be using, so it will be available (might need modification for orientation if used as a 4th on a later model engine).
Gary
By hans14914
Since I received a couple PMs on pricing, here is the current list:

Pricing as of 10/13/23
P9-OC06: 16mm hose nipple baffled breather - $90
P9-OC07: -8ORB baffled breather - $59
P9-OC08: Cam cover blanking plug - $20
P9-OC09: -10AN baffled breather - $95
Gary Knox, hernanca, SeanR liked this
By worf
FYI:

The “direct replacement” fittings are up on Jeannie’s website and can be ordered.

https://www.928gt.com/p-40903-project-n ... ement.aspx

Hans is deep in a 928 getting ready for third coast, so he’s going to be “absent” from this thread for a while.

In the meantime, he’s authorized me to answer questions on his behalf (to the extent I can.)
hernanca liked this
By Alan
I have 4 of the 8AN ORB's (direct from Hans) for the next incarnation of my PVC system. These are just great - allowing arbitrary AN elbow angles (needed for my application), great cam cover sealing for vacuum applications, and full 1/2" flow. Really like the flexibility of these and as with everything Hans' makes its all just very well done. Working toward the full install over the next few months.

Alan
worf, hernanca liked this
Selling my 39 Chevy Pickup

Thansks

87-95 door air vents

stripping this 90 S4 down i noticed the door air v[…]

Refurbishing D90 Wheels

Cheese Grater Wheels. P for “Porsche”[…]

That sucks Here in N Fla the Brodozers take them […]