Mid-engine cars
By fpena944
Just hit 20k miles!

A few observations since the last time I wrote about this car:

- I'm getting used to the PDK shifting. I don't use it often but when I do I'm understanding that the front button is upshift, back button is downshift. :biggrin: Hey it is confusing when you're so used to a six-speed manual transmission! I like how it blips the throttle when downshifting and of course the fast shifts are very impressive. Not as fun or involved as a manual but more exciting than a regular automatic.

- I've never gotten so many compliments from a car I've ever owned. I guess it depends where you are at but in suburb of Charlotte, NC people stop to compliment the car, even kids at my son's elementary school are giving me the thumbs up or yelling, "Nice car!" from the sidewalks. I get a little bit of that with the Cayenne Turbo but not so much of it with the 996. It's sort of funny as the other day a guy with a lifted Ford F-250 was looking over it and telling his friends. You could see how impressed they were. If only they knew their truck was more expensive than this little car!

- Handling continues to amaze me. This thing is so stable and corners without any lean, so now I know what all the mid-engine compliments I've read about are referring to!

- Engine sound. Oh man when these things go electric this is the part so many people are going to miss out on. Even though I only have the base engine and exhaust, wow in the upper revs it sounds great!

Ok that's all for now, next report at a later date!
By Fox_
I want one.

Don't know if it'll be in the cards or not.

We'll see in 6 months.
By fpena944
Fox_ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:53 pm I want one.

Don't know if it'll be in the cards or not.

We'll see in 6 months.
This series is the "993" of Caymans. Last one with a flat-six. After this one they went 4-cylinder turbo and next it'll be golf kart power. The older series are much more reasonably priced but of course will offer a slightly different experience.

Only fault with the car is that it's a 2-seater. That limits usability by quite a bit. Something as simple as going for a drive with the wife and kid is impossible unless you want to break laws. But other than that, I'm impressed and have no complaints.
By Fox_
Yes, it's got to be the last of the flat six.... Might even retain value because of that.

Would have to sell 928 + Q5 and buy Cayman + Pickup.

Lots of hassle, lots of $$$$.
By worf
@fpena944 You should upgrade to the Sport Design Wheel to get the paddles. It totally changes the PDK experience.

If you don’t want to lose the multifunction buttons, upgrade to a .2 wheel and get a CAN bus kit.

As for the “993” thing… 4.0 liter flat-6 is available in the ‘20+ GTS, GT4, Spyder.
XR4Tim liked this
By Fox_
worf wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:26 pm As for the “993” thing… 4.0 liter flat-6 is available in the ‘20+ GTS, GT4, Spyder.
It also comes with a $100,000 premium.
By worf
Fox_ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:52 pm
worf wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:26 pm As for the “993” thing… 4.0 liter flat-6 is available in the ‘20+ GTS, GT4, Spyder.
It also comes with a $100,000 premium.
“993” 981s aren’t cheap either.

https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2016 ... ayman-gts/
By worf
Fox_ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:08 pm
BUT the point being you can get the flat six in the base.
*MY* point was that you can STILL get the flat-6. So, 981s are not exactly the 993s of the mid-engine Porsche world.
By fpena944
worf wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:26 pm @fpena944 You should upgrade to the Sport Design Wheel to get the paddles. It totally changes the PDK experience.

If you don’t want to lose the multifunction buttons, upgrade to a .2 wheel and get a CAN bus kit.

As for the “993” thing… 4.0 liter flat-6 is available in the ‘20+ GTS, GT4, Spyder.
Ah yes I forgot about the heavy hitters of the lineup that have the best variation of the flat six! :banghead:

Let me look further into that steering wheel upgrade. I really like the multifunction buttons as this is going to be a daily driver but I also want to enjoy some track days with it too so the upgraded wheel would be beneficial.
By worf
fpena944 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:50 pm Let me look further into that steering wheel upgrade
Here ya go: https://gpsadapter.us/
By worf
worf wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:19 pm
fpena944 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:50 pm Let me look further into that steering wheel upgrade
I just skimmed through the install/coding guides. Looks like if you want to enable the multi-function capability (buttons) you lose PDK Paddle Neutral.

I really like PDK Paddle Neutral. More than I dislike reaching over to the center console to turn up the volume.

However, since you don't have PDK Paddle Neutral now, maybe you'll never miss it. If I hadn't told you about it.
By fpena944
worf wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:19 pm
Thanks! That's more reasonable than I expected. But then again you still have to source the new steering wheel and airbag!
worf wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:28 pm
I just skimmed through the install/coding guides. Looks like if you want to enable the multi-function capability (buttons) you lose PDK Paddle Neutral.

I really like PDK Paddle Neutral. More than I dislike reaching over to the center console to turn up the volume.

However, since you don't have PDK Paddle Neutral now, maybe you'll never miss it. If I hadn't told you about it.
I had seen this PDF neutral mentioned before but I had no idea how to enable it. Can't think of a situation where I would need it though so like you said, can't miss what I've never had.

In what scenario would you use it? When I need to go into neutral now I just go back into "auto" mode and flip the stick up one to get to neutral. About the only time I use this though is while waiting for my kid at the car line in school so I don't have to keep the car in drive and foot on the brake the whole time.
By worf
fpena944 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:46 pm In what scenario would you use it?
I use PDK neutral in the same contexts in which I would select neutral and take my foot off the clutch pedal in a manual gearbox car.

I really like the feature and would have been pissed-off if I’d done the swap to a .2 wheel only to discover that I couldn’t have both active buttons and PDK Paddle Neutral (PPN.) And it seems that - in the .1s at least - that the ECU firmware is the origin of the conflict between buttons and PPN.
fpena944 liked this
By milrad
fpena944 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:46 pm
I had seen this PDF neutral mentioned before but I had no idea how to enable it. Can't think of a situation where I would need it though so like you said, can't miss what I've never had.

In what scenario would you use it?
When you are spinning backwards thinking "Ah f^&k that was in a little too hot!" and trying not to think about the wall. It's the same as "both feet in" on a manual car (clutch and brake).
By fpena944
milrad wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:11 pm
fpena944 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:46 pm

In what scenario would you use it?
When you are spinning backwards thinking "Ah f^&k that was in a little too hot!" and trying not to think about the wall. It's the same as "both feet in" on a manual car (clutch and brake).
Old habits die hard so actually what I'm finding myself doing, more often than not, is using the stick on center console as a sequential shifter. I'm just so used to a manual transmission that if I'm in a situation in traffic where I need to act quickly I revert back to the "old way" of doing things.

I'm trying to train myself to use the paddles but that saying about old dogs and new tricks might apply here!
By worf
fpena944 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:50 pm I'm trying to train myself to use the paddles but that saying about old dogs and new tricks might apply here!
Just pretend you’re Michael Schumacher :rockon:
fpena944 liked this
By fpena944
worf wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:17 pm
fpena944 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:50 pm I'm trying to train myself to use the paddles but that saying about old dogs and new tricks might apply here!
Just pretend you’re Michael Schumacher :rockon:
If only I had 50% of his skill before he went skiing!

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]