Watercooled 911s
By milrad
Little slow in here….

I have about 4 weeks until my TTS order locks. My spec is pretty much done (don’t ask me about my deviated stitching :roflmao: ). I have Sport PASM spec’ ed but no front axle lift. I don’t have any obvious areas where I would need it, and North Texas makes my old town dump in NH look like Pike’s Peak. Not a steep driveway within 300 miles it seems.

That said, anyone have one of these rockets and have any experience, good or bad, with the front axle lift system? The car isn’t as low as a GT3 or my 981 GT4. I need to decide whether or not to add it.
Last edited by milrad on Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By worf
No front axle lift (FAL) on my 991 TT and I’ve not missed it. OTOH, the extra 10mm drop with SPASM on my 718T has resulted in a scuff. So, the 10mm makes a difference.

My old stomping grounds in West Texas, with the Grand Canyon-size rain gutters at intersections would have required FAL in all cases.

Most 928s I get in the shop have the chin spoiler lower than my TT, but the TT has a longer overhang.

Me? If SPASM on TTS, I’d get FAL I suppose. With PASM, not.

Yeah. No help. Sorry.
By ranger22
You’re more likely to regret not getting it than you’ll regret having an extra option. You will undoubtedly find times when you’re glad you had it. Regardless of driveways, if it ever needs to be flatbed away, this may be what saves the front end. Also, 991+ FAL is pretty reliable compared to the 997 versions.
By milrad
Ah yes, Front AXLE Lift. Wine induced brain cramp I’ll claim. I’ll see if I can edit myself.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m trying to find some option NOT to pick, but maybe this isn’t it lol.
By milrad
SeanR wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:43 am You might want it just to ensure you can get it on the scissor lift.
Doubt it would be enough actually. Remind me not to put the spoiler back on the 928 without first setting my race ramps in place. Otherwise I’ll be buying yet another spoiler.

Now if only I had a shop with a two-poster….
By worf
milrad wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:26 pm I’m trying to find some option NOT to pick, but maybe this isn’t it lol.
Give up. Little point if it's a keeper.

As long as you're checking boxes on the configurator and not looking at CXX it's all pretty small stuff in comparison to the base price.

Unless they've added the $30k ChromaFlair paint option .

And the $10k "930 Leather" package seems ... meh. But, if you gotta have it then ya gotta have it.

It's a $200k car. At this level, the cost of the regret of not getting a couple more thou in options that you want is more than the option cost.

BTDT with my 718T and, a year later, I'd still rather have the ridiculous options I picked than the cash for them.

You gonna take the default center lock wheels?
By AKSteve
I have FAL on my 992 4S and plan to get it on every 911 I buy in the future. I use it all the time in the winter when going through side streets and parking lot entrances that haven't been plowed properly. In the summer, I've used it occasionally when in unpaved parking lots that have developed potholes and ruts. It really gives me peace of mind with regard to damaging the front end of my car. My 2020 911 doesn't have this feature, but I believe starting in 2021 you can even use the car's GPS to program the FAL to engage automatically in certain locations. Maybe for when you get to your driveway or if there's a speed bump/hump on a road near your house.
milrad liked this
By milrad
worf wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:36 am
Give up. Little point if it's a keeper.

As long as you're checking boxes on the configurator and not looking at CXX it's all pretty small stuff in comparison to the base price.

Unless they've added the $30k ChromaFlair paint option .

And the $10k "930 Leather" package seems ... meh. But, if you gotta have it then ya gotta have it.

It's a $200k car. At this level, the cost of the regret of not getting a couple more thou in options that you want is more than the option cost.

BTDT with my 718T and, a year later, I'd still rather have the ridiculous options I picked than the cash for them.

You gonna take the default center lock wheels?
Well its already up to $242k, and I'm guilty on the $10k leather package. :hiding: I spend time on the inside and I want it to be nice :-). Flipping my S560 for this one, so...

No centerlocks for me. I'm ambivalent on them. Cool factor vs. no clear benefit. I prefer the look of the 5 spoke wheels and they have regular lugs. I'd still pick those wheels if they were centerlocks though.
By worf
milrad wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:19 pm Well its already up to $242k,
Damn. Lol. There aren't many 'performance' options on the Turbo S so most of that is "bling" yes? It doesn't look like you picked any of the body kits (Sport Package, etc.) so $35k in options takes some real work in the configurator. :tongue:

milrad wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:19 pm and I'm guilty on the $10k leather package. :hiding:
Heh, if you gotta have it you gotta have it.

milrad wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:19 pm No centerlocks for me. I'm ambivalent on them. Cool factor vs. no clear benefit. I prefer the look of the 5 spoke wheels and they have regular lugs.
I have the 5-spoke 5-lug Classic Sport wheels on my TT. Much, much easier to clean and I too like the look.

Back to FAL: It it was *me* I'd get standard PASM and no FAL. With PDCC and RAS, the Turbo really doesn't need SPASM IMO. It's got grip and handling to spare. ... unless it's just going to be a weekend / track-day ride. My 718T has SPASM and it's cool for a go-kart ride but I'd grow tired of it on the TT. If I was going to get SPASM I'd also get FAL.

A lot depends upon the roads on which you'll use it.

Note that all the "active" stuff (Aero and FAL) under the front bumper makes for some very expensive repairs if you get some scrapes or hit anything.

milrad wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:19 pm I spend time on the inside and I want it to be nice :-).
Oh, I get that. Here's my blinged-out 718T:

By linderpat
Wow, that's a gorgeous Cayman. Love that interior. Is the T model like a Club sport? (I assume it means "track" version?)
By worf
linderpat wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:42 pm Is the T model like a Club sport? (I assume it means "track" version?)
The T models are whatever Porsche marketing wants. I guess, you could call them the "poor man's" track version.

For both the 991 and 718 the T models are the base model with all performance options standard. So, the T models get SPASM, SC, PSE, PVT, Sport Seats Plus, 20-inch wheels standard for just slightly less than a pure base model with those options added. In addition the T models get, exclusively, the "cloth" Sport Tex interior options, a short shifter and some software tweaks (legend has it.) The 718 also shares two options with the GT4 and Spyder not available on any other 718: The option to get the Adaptive Sport Seats Plus with the manual tilt/telescope steering column instead of the electric column or the option for the full bucket seats. And of course you get the superfluous cloth door pulls like the GT4 and Spyder.
By milrad
That's a sweet 718 T!

Well, my use for the 992TTS is specifically NOT a weekend or track toy. I have other stuff for that. It is going to be used as a nice-weather daily driver and sometimes date night car.

As such, I was going to go without SPASM and consequently without the front axle lift. But then I saw that the stock ride height is kinda high and it looks better down 10mm. I've read the ride is overly stiff with SPASM, but members at TOS note that if you set the tire pressure to the comfort setting it makes a world of difference. Plus I'm a member of a track club, so having a turbo S and a race track available and not at least trying it just seems impossible. No way I'd resist indefinitely. So SPASM is back in.

I've crawled under a showroom car. The ride height really isn't that low. Much higher than my GT4 and lowered 993 I think. I don't have unplowed driveways here to worry about. But that fancy active aero spoiler is definitely expensive if something is misjudged. The FAL costs twice what the SPASM costs though, damn Porsche pricing.

I think I've talked myself into a circle and a half and ending up with FAL. Ugh.
By worf
SeanR wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:57 pm At this point, you might as well check all the boxes and see what happens.
Word.
By milrad
Enablers :bigcry:

Seriously, there are many more boxes to be checked. I haven’t tried to see what one would top out at, even without the really custom stuff, but it’s a fair bit higher than where I’m at.
The 928 Photo Thread

trawling through ebay there was a guy selling 911 […]

Formula 1 2020 And Beyond

Agreed, I was yelling at my screen during SQ3. V[…]

Rear Brake line Seized

Just watched a video on that tool...that's bad a[…]

100% the new bearings. The others were completely […]