Where you should report and bugs or suggestions
By worf
New forum looks good Fernando!

I couple of obvious things:

How do we get the 'old' Porsche threads moved to their sub-forums? Or should we just let them die?

What's with thumbnail views for previously uploaded images? A few are 'normal' but most are tiny thumbnails.

You're probably working on a sticky thread or I just haven't found it yet.
Last edited by worf on Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
By worf
Ok. I mucked around a bit.

It looks like if you use "place inline" it inserts the "attachment" tags you get a thumbnail picture.

If you don't place inline you get a browser-width picture. But only at the bottom of the post.

If you upload a picture, place inline, and then change the "attachment" tags to "img" tags you get a browser width picture at the insertion point BUT you also get the animated dots that indicate ... what's probably an HHTP GET request that will eventually time out but will consume an execution thread until it does. This is probably an "accidental" feature/bug.
By worf
From looking at all the ‘old’ threads and new posts - so far - from today the mechanism for displaying pictures does not result in a pleasant experience.
By SeanR
Been trying to just do "copy picture" from my albums on FB and paste in the reply window. Worked for Rennlist but not here yet. It's blank. If I copy address and paste it in the IMG tab, it shows up but small.
By worf
Copy/paste drag/drop is a known issue that’s being ‘worked’ AFAIK.

I haven’t tried IMG tag with offsite pic.

So... looks like right now the only way to post full-size is to upload as attachment.
By fpena944
The copy and paste feature for photo is currently being worked on by my developer. I knew it wasn't working but figured I'd launch as I didn't want to wait for it.

If this lightbox feature (slideshow) isn't well-liked I can get rid of it and images will appear as they used to. I just wasn't sure if the convenience of seeing all the images at once in large-scale was a more important feature than seeing them in full view on each post.

What do you all think?
By worf
One other thing:

When you upload a picture you have to wait until you see the ‘place inline’ button and that make take 10-ish seconds after you see progress bar at 100%.

If you just click submit or preview when you see 100% your attachment gets silently swallowed it seems.
By worf
fpena944 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:16 pm
If this lightbox feature (slideshow) isn't well-liked I can get rid of it and images will appear as they used to. I just wasn't sure if the convenience of seeing all the images at once in large-scale was a more important feature than seeing them in full view on each post.

What do you all think?
I don’t know the relationship between ‘lightbox feature’ and teeny thumbnail displays in posts. The former might have some use. The latter is just off-putting.

What I can opine on is that browser-width (or max width) pictures will be the expectation. Full stop. When people browse a thread with pictures they need to be able to see *usable-size* pictures in the same context as the text of the post to which each pictured is attached.

The only thread where a slideshow with teeny thumbnails instead of full-width pictures in posts would be useful... is the IHI Thread :o

Or maybe the political cartoon thread :roll:
Last edited by worf on Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SeanR
Got it figured out, as it sits now. Uploading is easy as long as you don't click "inline" as it keeps it thumbnail. Upload with text is normal. Copy/paste is coming which works great for me as I keep all my pics on FB albums.
By fpena944
Lightbox turned off - you guys are right, most just want to see the images without having to click on anything!
By worf
SeanR wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:24 pm Got it figured out, as it sits now. Uploading is easy as long as you don't click "inline" as it keeps it thumbnail. Upload with text is normal.
Yeah. ‘tis what I wrote above. Just don’t submit/preview until “inline” *appears*.
By fpena944
worf wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:24 am How do we get the 'old' Porsche threads moved to their sub-forums? Or should we just let them die?
I'll take care of this. Planned on doing it as part of the rollout but ran out of time. Working on it now.
By worf
fpena944 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:26 pm Lightbox turned off - you guys are right,
Excellent. Back to normal.
most just want to see the images without having to click on anything!
Yup. It’s about context. It is vitally important for technical posts where either text or picture is meaningless without the other in the same view frame.
By SeanR
fpena944 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:28 pm
worf wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:24 am How do we get the 'old' Porsche threads moved to their sub-forums? Or should we just let them die?
I'll take care of this. Planned on doing it as part of the rollout but ran out of time. Working on it now.
Have you slept in the last week?
By fpena944
SeanR wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:46 pm
fpena944 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:28 pm
Have you slept in the last week?
Haha, yeah this did take more effort than I thought it would. Thought I could shortcut the update but no can do. Still have a pesky bug that I'm trying to work out that will affect future functionality. But I'm happy with the result so it's all worth it!
By worf
fpena944 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:49 pm But I'm happy with the result so it's all worth it!
With picture display now 'fixed' the current functionality/presentation experience is equal (arguably better) than the previous skin.
By fpena944
worf wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:06 pm
fpena944 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:49 pm But I'm happy with the result so it's all worth it!
With picture display now 'fixed' the current functionality/presentation experience is equal (arguably better) than the previous skin.
Just need to get the image cut and paste fixed!
By linderpat
testing on picture upload. Couldn't do it yesterday.Image
By worf
linderpat wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:57 pm still can't figure it out.
For uploading pictures to the server: go to the attachments tab. Hit "add files." Select the file. Wait until the progress bar is 100% AND you see the "place inline" button. Then, either hit submit/preview to have the picture at the bottom of the post, or hit "place inline" to intersperse the picture between text...
Capture4.JPG
... Like I did here --^ with the screen grab.

This picture at the bottom is what happens if you don't "place inline."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By fpena944
Only problem right now is that for some reason I think we're limited to 2 megs in file size.

Waiting for support on this one so if any of you are able to upload bigger files than let me know.
By worf
fpena944 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:14 pm Only problem right now is that for some reason I think we're limited to 2 megs in file size.

Waiting for support on this one so if any of you are able to upload bigger files than let me know.
2mb is enough. Have your geek look into scaling billion-pixel images on upload. No reason to have 12800x7600 pictures on a forum and your hard di$k$ will thank you.
By fpena944
worf wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:19 pm
fpena944 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:14 pm Only problem right now is that for some reason I think we're limited to 2 megs in file size.

2mb is enough. Have your geek look into scaling billion-pixel images on upload. No reason to have 12800x7600 pictures on a forum and your hard di$k$ will thank you.
I have compression on the back end that really squeezes them. But on the front end a huge inconvenience for people that just want to post a pic.

Server move though messed something up. I modified the PHP config and the forum settings to bump up the limit but somewhere something is hard coded at a lower value and keeping it from increasing.
Formula 1 2020 And Beyond

My thoughts on Miami race are (I think..) simila[…]

Refurbishing D90 Wheels

Those wheels are Pirelli P Slots, OEM on certain 8[…]

my #3 restoration thread

had a look at it this morning Dave, and when i had[…]

Racing garments

Let me call my son ~ you can never have too many […]