Where you should report and bugs or suggestions
By fpena944
Hey everyone,

I've been busy behind the scenes creating the next generation of our forum. Your generous contributions have allowed me to make investments in improved hardware and forge a relationship with a premium developer who I'm working closely with to unveil the new forum.

If all goes as planned we'll probably open the doors this upcoming weekend. Can't tell you a time yet but I will tell you that I'll try to do it during the late evening hours (EST) so we hopefully have less traffic and interruption.

So what's going to change?
  • New domain
We've been discussing this for a while but a new domain was chosen and we'll be moving the site to it. Anytime you use our current domain it'll just forward to the new one.
  • More powerful server
This is not really needed now but the server we're on is going to require some upgrades by November so I figured if I'm going to have to update it I might as well do it now so there's only one interruption. What this does do though is allow us to scale in the future and not impact performance.
  • Improvements to SEO
Right now this forum is flying under the radar. We're indexed by Google but unless you know the board name we're so far below everything else that you'd never find it. These improvements will help accelerate our exposure to the search engines for the PUBLIC FORUMS ONLY. So our private space will remain that but the car forums are exposed to the public and should receive as much recognition as they can.
  • Additional Forums
I've been resisting adding additional forums but with this refresh and emphasis on search engines, it will be in our best interest to expand the forums to include more specific topics. Of course this will always be evolving but we'll add some more during this relaunch.
  • A real brand!
This forum was just thrown together because there was a sense of urgency. The name although relevant at the time is not suited for long term growth. So we'll have a new brand and an identity we can grow with.
  • New look and feel
Ok I know it's hard to accept yet another change. But although we're probably getting used to this forum style, there are issues with it especially when viewing from a mobile device. This new forum style is going to incorporate all of the latest design standards to provide a cleaner and more professional looking experience that aligns with what I think this board can become.
  • Memberships
Although we sort of established this before with the donations and acceptance of anyone from the old gang, this will formalize the process. For anyone who can read this now, you're all grandfathered in with what we'll consider "Lifetime VIP" status.
  • Loads of new features
I'll put out a more comprehensive list when the new format is unveiled but we're going to be adding dislikes, post reputation scores, improved post editors, more emoticons, more flexibility with avatars, better image handling (you'll be able to view all of the photos from the IHI thread as a slideshow!), better handling of Youtube, Facebook, and Twitter embedding, a night-time version of the theme so you can view us in the dark and not get sunburned from your phone screen, and a process called "lazy load" that only loads the images as you need them so we can keep this forum fast!

What won't change?
  • We'll still maintain the same freedoms we've been used to so far. I might ask one or two of you to volunteer to help control things if we get a spammer or troll on the forum, but other than that the "Anything Goes" will still be that.
  • No ads! Now if a vendor comes to us and wants to sponsor a forum or advertise, I'll be open to it if they understand that behind the curtain there are some controversial topics and open discussion so that has to be accepted. You probably noticed and asked, "How will someone advertise if there are no ads?" We'll create a list of recommended vendors and partners where interested parties can go and see what they have to offer. In this way our vendor/partner relationships aren't in your face constantly or slowing down the forum. But they are accessible for those who are interested.
  • My need for feedback! Look without all of you this is just the digital equivalent of a ream of printer paper. It could be interesting once something gets printed on it but otherwise it's just a boring communication platform. So I need your feedback to make sure this is serving us as best as it can. Granted I can't do every single thing and some of the changes you might not be a fan of, but I'll do my best to accommodate and try to make decisions that benefit the overwhelming majority of users when possible. Some things will be limited by our choice of platform, but as I mentioned above, I have a connection to a super developer now who can come up with solutions if needed.
What I ask is your patience as although I've been testing the new site for about a week now I'm sure I haven't uncovered every possible scenario. I know change stinks which is why I'm trying to make so many of them at once so we can rest easy for a while and just enjoy our conversations.

Thanks for hearing me out, more to come soon!!!
By sh944
Looking forward to it!
By Rocket Rob
Thank you for your continued efforts!
By TheDeckMan
Awesome news! Keep up the good work!
By Airkuhl
That is awesome, I can't wait to see the changes. Thanks again for all your work.

Interesting and unpredictable things can happen when you take on what at first seems like just a hobby or a small challenge. Who knows what it'll turn into or what the ripple effects are? Well known brands and successful companies have started from less.
By Streck-Fu
Hot damn. Looking forward to it!
By mkptlb
From a very occasional poster, mostly lurker, thank-you very much for this forum. Reading P&C now, with the never ending trolling, is just disappointing. This is a wonderful evolution and is very much appreciated.
By Own Goal
In my short term as a mod the one sort of large deal I got stuck on was trying to make peace between a couple of major accounts and a non account poster IB wanted me to make into an advertiser. This of course was IB sales business, but if a dumb mod would do it for free, cool. In the process I got to know these guys. The big sponsor and I have a good relationship from all that. He also hates IB and how feels treated. IF no one gets sued and we decide to push sales, I'll be glad to reach out to these guys. All the other mods know what I'm referring to. I would not do this without a green light from my crew.
I'm guessing a lot of the guys on here also know desirable possible accounts.
By Gretch
You are a real Gem, Fernando.........!

OUTSTANDING what you have done for a bunch of guys who's favorite discussion sight ABANDONED them.

My hat is off to you.
By Chunpng
For a very low-tech guy like me, what you have done in such a short time is simply amazing. Wishing our government can get so much constructive work done in similar period of time. Not to mention that you started this on your own dime. Kudos.

CP
By linderpat
Great work Fernando! Looking forward to the evolution.
By Multi21
Thank you Fernando. I'm sure I speak for many here that I've enjoyed the banter over at the old place and am pleasantly surprised that this new place has had so much support and continued discussion with many best wishes for continued success.
By mussberger
Thanks Fernando. Just glad to be along for the ride.

I know it Hernando's Hideaway but anywho

By worf
Awesome!
By Cuda911
Fantastic, thanks Fernando!

Last edited by Cuda911 on Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By RCD
Thank you, Fernando. I appreciate your idea and initiative to start this site, and the effort you continue to put into it.
By sh944
Not for nothing but I had two corporate sponsors in the wings when I was getting ready to start rlot after the Tuesday Night Massacre. I am pretty sure I can bring at least one of them over here...
By TheDeckMan
TRAKCAR wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:34 pm The first advertisers will be rewarded.
With beer? If so my attention has been peaked :twisted:
By LTCMontana
Let me be the first to say, “Fukin’ A!”
By AllanH
Many including myself are grateful for what you have done for us Fernando.
Respect.
By ranger22
I guess I missed the chance to donate. I’m happy to do so, please advise. Thanks for doing all of this.
By martyp
You and your efforts are appreciated. We all benefit greatly. Thanks!
By Bart
Integrity and skill; you have them both.

Thanks SO much!
By fpena944
Thanks everyone!

Honestly this has been loads of fun for me. I didn't wake up that morning thinking, "Hey I'm going to create an online community today!" but I haven't been as excited about a side project in a long time.

Looking forward to what's to come here soon...
Cuda911 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:17 pm Fantastic, thanks Fernando!

Haha, that song has followed me my entire life! My mother-in-law even got me the record one year for Christmas. I said thanks but I thought to myself, "I haven't had a record player in years!"

lupo.sk wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:22 pm Don’t forget to include time travel mod for Streck!
Haha, I think that one flew over most people's head yesterday. Glad you caught it!
Airkuhl wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:47 am That is awesome, I can't wait to see the changes. Thanks again for all your work.

Interesting and unpredictable things can happen when you take on what at first seems like just a hobby or a small challenge. Who knows what it'll turn into or what the ripple effects are? Well known brands and successful companies have started from less.
You're right. I know everyone says do what you love but often times that doesn't create a viable occupation. But who knows, stranger things have happened!
sh944 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:52 pm Not for nothing but I had two corporate sponsors in the wings when I was getting ready to start rlot after the Tuesday Night Massacre. I am pretty sure I can bring at least one of them over here...
When the redesign is launched I'll reach out to you so we can work together and see if there's an opportunity there. Your contacts, your terms so think about it. As I mentioned above I'm looking at creating a section of the site where each vendor can have a dedicated landing page. Also there could be forum sponsorship slots similar to what other boards do. But let me know what you're thinking. I just don't want banners and tracking scripts plastered all over the place.
By lupo.sk
fpena944 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:51 am
Haha, I think that one flew over most people's head yesterday. Glad you caught it!
I was an admin on one or two forums and also had some fun time traveling ;-)
By sh944
[quote=fpena944 post_id=6733
sh944 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:52 pm Not for nothing but I had two corporate sponsors in the wings when I was getting ready to start rlot after the Tuesday Night Massacre. I am pretty sure I can bring at least one of them over here...
When the redesign is launched I'll reach out to you so we can work together and see if there's an opportunity there. Your contacts, your terms so think about it. As I mentioned above I'm looking at creating a section of the site where each vendor can have a dedicated landing page. Also there could be forum sponsorship slots similar to what other boards do. But let me know what you're thinking. I just don't want banners and tracking scripts plastered all over the place.
[/quote]

Let’s have a sidebar conversation. I have an idea or two...
By sh944
Let’s have a sidebar conversation. I have an idea or two...
By Streck-Fu
"Haha, I think that one flew over most people's head yesterday. Glad you caught it!"

I noticed it as well but am not allowed to respond to for at least 5 years.... :lol:
By bigs
Very nice work, Fernando! And very much appreciated! Just don't lose the "Jump To" feature!
Formula 1 2020 And Beyond

My thoughts on Miami race are (I think..) simila[…]

Refurbishing D90 Wheels

Those wheels are Pirelli P Slots, OEM on certain 8[…]

my #3 restoration thread

had a look at it this morning Dave, and when i had[…]

Racing garments

Let me call my son ~ you can never have too many […]