Racing, Drivers Education, autocross, and other motorsports
By Luigi Vampa
Alright - show yourselves so we can't start where we left off and not get yelled at because we dared to bring up politics in a racing forum.
By Luigi Vampa
Hopefully as the overall website grows there will be more and more people joining.
By E55AMG
Here, but sold the 996 race car a few years, so not sure if that counts LOL. I was still checking in regularly at the other place. Miss the driving but have found other things to keep me busy (and spend money on).
By Cuda911
I didn't venture into that forum much, but will be more interested in it here. AX and DE instructor, PCA-SDR. Saving lots of money this year, with all events cancelked. Brand new set of RE-71Rs sitting here, ready to roll. Havent started the track car in months, battery prolly dead.
By Luigi Vampa
Hoping to get more people to migrate but wary that I don't get myself banned. There will be the "old guard" who never ventured into P&C who remains. Wish right-thinking people like Veloce Raptor will find their way here.
By Luigi Vampa
At least you can edit here. I am no longer allowed to edit on RL as I was somehow labeled as a troublemaker. Ridiculous.
By Luigi Vampa
Matt wrote:
Luigi Vampa wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:56 pm At least you can edit here. I am no longer allowed to edit on RL as I was somehow labeled as a troublemaker. Ridiculous.
I'm 100% sure I am both.

Labeled as a lawyer $%#$#$$%%, not trouble maker :grin:
By Multi21
Present.

With the exception of the F1 and MotoGP threads, I found myself posting less and less on the Racing/DE section of RL as my frequency of racing has slowed down. Hope that this bottom rung of Openroad sees more and more activity!
By Luigi Vampa
Multi21 wrote:Present.

With the exception of the F1 and MotoGP threads, I found myself posting less and less on the Racing/DE section of RL as my frequency of racing has slowed down. Hope that this bottom rung of Openroad sees more and more activity!
Plus God forbid you say something against Lewis Hamilton people get all hurty feelings.
By Multi21
Luigi Vampa wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:55 pm
Multi21 wrote:Present.

Plus God forbid you say something against Lewis Hamilton people get all hurty feelings.
LOL... I'm waiting for Hamilton to stop driving in protest..
By David993S
In the spirit of getting some racing/DE conversation going, I'll post my personal feelings about both. Kinda long, but bear with me.......

As background, I raced in SCCA for nearly 20 years with a National Competition License. Won many Nationals (now called Majors), won the June Sprints at Road America and set a class track record in the process, and raced at the Runoffs twice. I've raced a number of cars including Formula Ford, Continental and Atlantic. I stopped racing after a near life-ending accident and was away from the track for over 10 years.

But as you guys know, once bitten by the bug, it doesn't go away regardless of age or time. I returned to the track doing DE's, and have done those for the past 7 or 8 years in the advanced run group. I've gotten bored with DE's for a couple of reasons and find I'm just not enjoying them anymore. Why?: first, it's not racing, and it's not supposed to be. If one enjoyed the wheel-to-wheel competition of racing, DE's just don't cut it. Second, I found myself getting frustrated being on track with all the current level of technology. Specifically, in my comparatively slow track prepared 996, I would drive the proper line (sometimes the racing line, sometimes the DE line) yet I see most drivers of new Porsches miss apex's, use bad lines, etc., yet they will blow by me simply due to the power and technology that allows them to drive any line regardless of whether it's the right line or not.

Now, some might say it's sour grapes on my part, and maybe there's some of that. Perhaps I should take pleasure that with my 996 (Tip w/hand controls, BTW) I keep up with and pass most manual 996's and similar cars. I attribute that to my years of experience, not the car. Maybe I shouldn't care what others are doing and just enjoy being on track, but I guess the competitive streak in me gets frustrated when I'm passed by a prep'd Cayman S or GT3 driver that wouldn't know an apex if it bit him in the ass. Some will say I should go racing again, but I think those days are over for a couple of reasons.

That's my frustration. Everyone pile on and tell me what you think. I've got thick skin and can put on my nomex undies......that I would wear with a driving suit even at DE's..........fire doesn't know if it's a race, a DE, or a track day.

Cheers. :)
By Cuda911
Good synopsis, David. I agree with all of it.

BTW, you should post up that article you sent me a couple years ago about the accident and your return to racing. An amazing and inspiring story all here will appreciate reading. Post it on 996outpost.com too.
By Multi21
David, that's pretty universal nowadays. I've instructed newbies in 991s who believe they are incredible drivers but the reality is the electronics saved them (us) many times per lap. The only alternative is to buy a 992 and win your DE.
By Scott at Team Harco
Here. Didn't frequent that area too often. My form of racing is a bit different. I grew up around racing and rally. My father was a very accomplished competitor and team manager. Maybe I'll tell his story here (I did a lot at RW and some at RL). He was recently inducted into the SCCA Hall of Fame and two years prior, into the Mopar Hall of Fame.

Had I been a fraction as successful as him, I would have had a great racing career. I think I'm close to a fraction.

Stage rally has always been my favorite. Did a fair amount through the 90s and into the early 2000s. My last big go-round was a full season of driving a friend's Lancer to help develop it as a rent-a-ride rally car. That was 2013. It was also a year when I was provided an opportunity to drive another friend's 911 in RallyCross competition. That was also a success. I was able to win 10 of 11 events and the one I failed at, the owner won.

Between my first stage rally in 1981, I have competed in ice racing, road rally, autocross, RallyCross, time trials, and CHUMP races. I've been an instructor at track days and autocross schools. I could fill a pretty good sized thread with the cars and competitions I've been in.

Glad to be here. If I get poked enough, I might share more.
By Crumpler
Multi21 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:22 pm David, that's pretty universal nowadays. I've instructed newbies in 991s who believe they are incredible drivers but the reality is the electronics saved them (us) many times per lap. The only alternative is to buy a 992 and win your DE.
Glad someone else said it.
I started HPDE’s a few years ago.
Maybe it was always an arms race, but the nanny tech is just, well, humbling.

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]