General discussions related to cars and driving
By i am not a traitor
I usually hand wash my cars with a regular hose and never considered using my pressure washer because I was always scared I would damage them. However, I know people do it with no problems. I have a Ryobi 1900psi/1.2 gpm electric unit and would like to use that. Should that be okay? It came with a turbo nozzle, 15 degree and a "soap/gentle" nozzle. I assume the latter should be fine but doesn't mention anything about using it on cars, only RVs/Boats. I also don't know much about foam cannons. Do I actually need one or should I just use the detergent reservoir?
By TheDeckMan
Should be fine with a foam cannon, I use the Adams foam cannon with a Generac gas pressure washer but should be careful on questionable paint as you could blast it off if it was a crappy paint job. I use warm water as it also helps clean bugs and grime off, hot water is not good as it will strip the wax.

Normal procedure is:

Blast off loose dirt/grime with power washer
Foam Cannon whole car
Hand wash car with 2 bucket method
Rinse car with power washer
Air blast dry
Rag dry with Griots spray cleaner

i am not a traitor liked this
By mussberger
I have an older Karcher electric which puts out 1600 psi and 1 gpm or so. The wand has an adjustable nozzle that can be opened to reduce the pressure. I haven't jumped on the foam bandwagon. I prefer to build up the foam in the wash bucket and use these https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/tw ... ks&from=fn

And I've been liberally using Mothers soap for decades. Nothing fancy

If you're worried about damage with a pressure washer stand further away. :cool:
By i am not a traitor
TheDeckMan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:16 pm Should be fine with a foam cannon, I use the Adams foam cannon with a Generac gas pressure washer but should be careful on questionable paint as you could blast it off if it was a crappy paint job. I use warm water as it also helps clean bugs and grime off, hot water is not good as it will strip the wax.

Normal procedure is:

Foam Cannon whole car
Air blast dry

Adam's website shows that it requires minimum 1.3gpm where as mine is 1.2gpm. Do you think that really makes a difference???
By i am not a traitor
mussberger wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:44 pm I have an older Karcher electric which puts out 1600 psi and 1 gpm or so. The wand has an adjustable nozzle that can be opened to reduce the pressure. I haven't jumped on the foam bandwagon. I prefer to build up the foam in the wash bucket and use these https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/tw ... ks&from=fn

And I've been liberally using Mothers soap for decades. Nothing fancy

If you're worried about damage with a pressure washer stand further away. :cool:
I normally use microfiber wash pads like that and would apply the soap in sections. It is so time consuming that way. I have two small kids and don't want to spend the entire day detailing the car. Foam cannon seems like a faster process.
By i am not a traitor
I came across this on Groits Garage website:
A pressure washer featuring a minimum of 1.8 GPM flow and 1,100 psi or 1,980 CU
(Cleaning Units = gpm x psi) is required for the cannon to function as intended
Is this a standard measure? If so, Adam's unit would be good from 1,131CU to 16,907CU. My pressure washer equates 2,280CU. Never heard of cleaning units.
By SeanR
I've got a power washer but never use it for the cars, pain to set up and can have the car washed in 1/2 the time by hand. I do use a foam cannon on cars that are really caked with grime. Suds it up and let it sit for a couple minutes then hand wash. If I had a jeep or something that gets real muddy then I'd use the power washer.

https://www.amazon.com/MATCC-Blaster-Ad ... 332&sr=8-6
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By i am not a traitor
SeanR wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:50 am I've got a power washer but never use it for the cars, pain to set up and can have the car washed in 1/2 the time by hand. I do use a foam cannon on cars that are really caked with grime. Suds it up and let it sit for a couple minutes then hand wash. If I had a jeep or something that gets real muddy then I'd use the power washer.

image.png
God I fucking hate amazon and the companies that it draws. I'm not knocking the product, but their marketing material. Can't stand fake photoshopped descriptions of their "products" in use.

With that out of the way, is your pressure washer gas? My electric one is awesome and easy to setup.
mussberger liked this
By SeanR
i am not a traitor wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:57 am
SeanR wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:50 am I've got a power washer but never use it for the cars, pain to set up and can have the car washed in 1/2 the time by hand. I do use a foam cannon on cars that are really caked with grime. Suds it up and let it sit for a couple minutes then hand wash. If I had a jeep or something that gets real muddy then I'd use the power washer.

image.png
God I fucking hate amazon and the companies that it draws. I'm not knocking the product, but their marketing material. Can't stand fake photoshopped descriptions of their "products" in use.

With that out of the way, is your pressure washer gas? My electric one is awesome and easy to setup.
Oh now that is funny. Real funny.

Yep, my washer is a 2900psi gas one.
By i am not a traitor
SeanR wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:18 am
i am not a traitor wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:57 am

image.png

Oh now that is funny. Real funny.

Yep, my washer is a 2900psi gas one.
Lol. Sorry, I see it all the time on Amazon. I try to limit buying stuff there.

Gas ones are super annoying.
By TheDeckMan
i am not a traitor wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:37 am
TheDeckMan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:16 pm Should be fine with a foam cannon, I use the Adams foam cannon with a Generac gas pressure washer but should be careful on questionable paint as you could blast it off if it was a crappy paint job. I use warm water as it also helps clean bugs and grime off, hot water is not good as it will strip the wax.

Normal procedure is:

Foam Cannon whole car
Air blast dry

Adam's website shows that it requires minimum 1.3gpm where as mine is 1.2gpm. Do you think that really makes a difference???

Should not be an issue.
By FlatSix
Glad to find this topic!

So, at home I use a Griot's foam cannon and a Bonaire fire hose nozzle (best nozzle ever!) and two buckets and that works great.

However, we now have a second home with crappy water pressure at the spigot. The whole neighborhood suffers from this problem.

Can you use a pressure washer as "boost" for a standard garden hose set up? Any recommendations on something inexpensive but decent quality?
By i am not a traitor
FlatSix wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:04 pm Glad to find this topic!

So, at home I use a Griot's foam cannon and a Bonaire fire hose nozzle (best nozzle ever!) and two buckets and that works great.

However, we now have a second home with crappy water pressure at the spigot. The whole neighborhood suffers from this problem.

Can you use a pressure washer as "boost" for a standard garden hose set up? Any recommendations on something inexpensive but decent quality?
If I'm not mistaken, pressure from the spigot isn't as important as the gallons per minute since the pressure washer is creating the pressure. Any idea how much gpm you get at the spigot?

I'm very happy with my electric ryobi. I don't miss using a gas unit. They are bulky, pain to keep running and are really loud.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1900- ... /311223300

I have that one. Ignore the suggested uses. Just marketing material.
By FlatSix
Thanks. I don't know what the GPM is, but considering that the water Nazis here make us buy restricted flow shower heads, etc., I have to think it's north of 3.
By i am not a traitor
FlatSix wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:10 pm Thanks. I don't know what the GPM is, but considering that the water Nazis here make us buy restricted flow shower heads, etc., I have to think it's north of 3.
I'm sure you could measure it by filling some containers and doing the math. Or if it were me, buy the pressure washer from a Lowes or home depot. Try it out and if it doesn't work, just return it.
FlatSix liked this
By mussberger

No you can't use pressure washer to boost low volume/pressure from a spigot. If you don't have enough volume for the pump it will cavitate and that's not a good scenario.

One alternative would be a gas driven washer with the rpms dialed back.
By N_Jay
mussberger wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:16 pm

No you can't use pressure washer to boost low volume/pressure from a spigot. If you don't have enough volume for the pump it will cavitate and that's not a good scenario.

One alternative would be a gas driven washer with the rpms dialed back.
Just pick up a small shallow well pump.
Draw from the faucet (use a line that will not collapse) and you will have plenty of flow and pressure ahead of a pressure washer.
By FlatSix
Thanks for the tips.

But if the GPM flow from my spigot exceeds the GPM rating of the pressure washer, I'm OK, right?
By N_Jay
Should be, but. Check at the end of the hose feeding the pressure washer pump.
By FlatSix
electric pressure washers: brands to avoid? brands to favor? good package deals?

Seems like we've had a couple of votes in favor of Ryobi.

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]