SUVs and sedans
By AKSteve
I hate it. I feel like I'm driving a sports car while sitting on elevated chair, with the actual car way underneath. Like those boats that you can steer from an upper deck.
By fpena944
AKSteve wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:09 pm I hate it. I feel like I'm driving a sports car while sitting on elevated chair, with the actual car way underneath. Like those boats that you can steer from an upper deck.
Is it a base Cayenne or at least an S?

I love my Turbo but I've heard it's a different beast than the lower trim versions.
By N_Jay
I have an old Touareg (2004) that surprises the hell out of me, and would love to try out a Cayenne.
By AKSteve
Base V6 with about 330hp. I had it in Sport mode also. I'll admit it was a bit more fun when the road got curvy. But I still had this feeling like I was riding in a chair on top of another car. I guess I'm just not into sporty SUV's. I had a BMW X5 4.8i once and I thought it would work as a replacement for both my 5 Series and my pickup truck and I found out that it just didn't feel right to me. I'll admit that the current X5M Competition looks like an absolute beast, but I just don't think I'm into this type of vehicle. I'll bet the smaller Macan is a lot more fun to drive.
By wwilliams888
I have a base 2013 Cayenne that I bought new. I ordered it with PDCC and air suspension since I needed a vehicle that I could lower for my mom and my wife’s mom who were living with us at the time. At the loading level, it was the right height for them to get in and out easier. I can sling it around corners in sports mode just about as fast as my base 997.2. It may not have the horsepower of a S or Turbo, but it works for me.
By amdavid
Steve, there you have it!........they take some getting used to when you come from a small sporty car, however they are incredibly capable at speed.

Fernando can vouch for the Turbo, but our 2011 S with 400hp will embarrass most boy racer rides/na 4 bangers......and will absolutely spank my S2 is just about every measure....and drive in the snow/off road. Because of their capability, comfort and flexibility, we own 2.....however I will definitely agree they're thirsty beasts.
By fpena944
amdavid wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:58 pm Steve, there you have it!........they take some getting used to when you come from a small sporty car, however they are incredibly capable at speed.

Fernando can vouch for the Turbo, but our 2011 S with 400hp will embarrass most boy racer rides/na 4 bangers......and will absolutely spank my S2 is just about every measure....and drive in the snow/off road. Because of their capability, comfort and flexibility, we own 2.....however I will definitely agree they're thirsty beasts.
Honestly I love both of my P-cars but for very different reasons. They really can't be compared and are as different as they can be. The only thing that keeps them connected (aside from the badge on the hood) is that they're both very entertaining to drive.

The 996 is agile and feels light. The steering is more nervous, the ride is rougher, and it is LOUD. It is not as fast to accelerate but it FEELS faster because you're lower to the ground, my exhaust is loud, and there is a lot more road and tire noise in the interior. Inside there is really nothing to take you away from the driving experience. I have a CD player with 4 speakers but it stays off most of the time. The little onboard readout showing a few metrics like mileage and temperature but really it's just a plain interior without a lot of cool stuff.

The CTT does feel like you're riding high when you first get in it. Especially if I just had a longer trip in the 996. But once you get driving it feels so planted to the pavement. I throw it into a corner and it just remains flat. The suspension takes in large bumps without incident even while riding on 21" rims. The exhaust is a little more muted but we have a sport exhaust here too so you always know you have a beast under the hood ready to take off. And of course being a top-of-the-line model it has every option available in 2011 so definitely a more pleasant place to be in for a long drive.

About my only complaint with the CTT is because I'm a fan of a manual transmission and mine still has the Tiptronic. It's not bad, especially for a vehicle that likely won't see track duty, but when I want a car to go, it really needs to go NOW! With this transmission there is a slight delay but I don't know if it is more so the transmission or the fact that the turbos need to spool up.

I've said it before but I was not happy when Porsche created the Cayenne. But when I needed a new family car I'm glad this was a choice for me and now I'm a huge fan.
amdavid liked this
By Airkuhl
I have a Cayenne E-hybrid. It sits higher than a sedan and lower than most other SUV's.

It has better handling than any non-sports car I've ever owned. It would annihilate the 2 different gen M5's, 3 series and Audi's that I've owned over the years. Probably my early 911's too.

We ordered ours and it was a couple months late due to the EU MPG statement snafu. My local dealer stepped up and gave us a free base Macan loaner to cover the delay. The Macan felt like a total pig that could barely get out of its own way. I hated the thing.

I think the trick to these things is proper specs. IMO theses are indispensable if you enjoy driving:

RAS
Adaptive Air w/PASM
PDCC
Summer tires

Get these options in at least a GTS and you'll be able to blow away most things on the road with more than 2 seats.
amdavid liked this
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]