By fpena944
The keyfob on my 2011 CTT is starting be unrecognized sometimes. I've changed out the battery but still no luck - sometimes it works, sometimes the car tells me "Key not recognized"

Some of it might have to do with the fact that I accidentally went into the ocean with the key still in my pocket. I dried it out, sprayed with electronic cleaner and it worked, but I think it's dying a slow death.

So aside from going to the dealer and getting "assaulted" by their pricing, what other options do I have for replacement?
By amdavid
As you can see from the replies......NONE!....time to get flogged by your local stealer. Maybe you can buy the unit elsewhere and have the dealer program it, but you're still going to be visiting your local Pcar dealer at some point.
By fpena944
amdavid wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:31 pm As you can see from the replies......NONE!....time to get flogged by your local stealer. Maybe you can buy the unit elsewhere and have the dealer program it, but you're still going to be visiting your local Pcar dealer at some point.
That's what I was afraid of...

It wasn't recognizing about 3 days ago, and then yesterday worked perfectly. What a pain...
By amdavid
fpena944 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:00 pm
amdavid wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:31 pm As you can see from the replies......NONE!....time to get flogged by your local stealer. Maybe you can buy the unit elsewhere and have the dealer program it, but you're still going to be visiting your local Pcar dealer at some point.

It wasn't recognizing about 3 days ago, and then yesterday worked perfectly. What a pain...
Intermittent issues are the worse. If your key is "not recognized" will it still start the car?..
By fpena944
amdavid wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:16 pm
fpena944 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:00 pm

Intermittent issues are the worse. If your key is "not recognized" will it still start the car?..
Nope, I have to take the dummy key out of the ignition and physically insert the key inside the fob. Huge pain in the a$$.

Thankfully most of the time I'm only in the vehicle when my wife is with me so she'll have her key and we'll be ok.

But yeah it's not something I want to take a chance on for too long.
By Gregs04.5
I was given two keys when I bought my 996, one with fob, one without. And the one with a fob, does not lock/unlock the doors (can lock with key, but not with the button) the other will not start the car. So I really only have one key.
I've been holding off for as long as I can, but I think I need to make the appt. at the Pcar dealer and get a new fob, and hope that things work as they should.
No back up key is getting a little scary.
By DAVfoto
Mine doesn't recognize the key sometimes but it's very intermittent. I just had the dealer change out batteries not long ago and it still does it here and there but maybe once every 7 weeks at best.

Each dealer seems to have different pricing on keys, just call around and get the cheapest option.

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]