Watercooled 911s
By fpena944
ranger22 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:19 am Puppies are awesome! A ton of work and many times frustrating, but they can be so fun. Today my puppy decided to remind me to not take life so seriously and to relax and enjoy the moment. It started out as a car wash, but her curiosity led her to have her nose on whatever my hands were doing. This quickly transformed into a game of stealing whatever I had in my hands or had recently used. Then she thought it would be fun to play keep away. Ugh! So easy to be frustrated, but given the holidays and trying to remind myself to relax, we had a lot of fun. I’m still not 100% I will let her outside with me next time. This nearly took 2x the time to get done. Anyway, happy holidays and remember to take a breather and relax and enjoy the moment. Like a puppy!

84DC5E1E-900C-4F8C-9A78-04D6A19965C9.jpeg
I bet she's gotten quite a bit bigger in the past month, eh? Cute dog, awesome car!
Riad wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:50 am My 2016 991 C4S Cabriolet. I drive my 911's - a lot - my 996 had 225,000 miles on it when it finally died in 2016. I have "only" put just shy of 50,000 miles on the 991 in 5 years. That's a record low for me!! :drink:
Oh wow I thought I was the only one who put a crazy amount of miles on their 996. I'm at 180k+ and counting. Can't believe I've had the same car now for almost 12 years!
By Cuda911
Welcome to the "Former 996 Now 991 Club"!
By Riad
fpena944 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:13 am Oh wow I thought I was the only one who put a crazy amount of miles on their 996. I'm at 180k+ and counting. Can't believe I've had the same car now for almost 12 years!
I bought my 996 C4S Cab new in 2004, had it for 14 years, they are GREAT cars! I've had less problems with the 991 so far, but it's still a baby. :rockon:
Cuda911 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:12 pm Welcome to the "Former 996 Now 991 Club"!
:bigok:

My first 996 was a C4 Coupe in 2001, then bought the C4S Cab in 2004 (still had the coupe) then after about a year my wife started to look at me like a lion looks at zebra every time she walked into the garage, so I sold the C4.

I hope to keep this 991 for another 10 years if I can. :drink:
By Scott at Team Harco
Riad wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:50 am My 2016 991 C4S Cabriolet. I drive my 911's - a lot - my 996 had 225,000 miles on it when it finally died in 2016. I have "only" put just shy of 50,000 miles on the 991 in 5 years. That's a record low for me!! :drink:
If you don't mind my asking - what killed your 996? 225,000 is a pretty good run.

The reason I ask is because I just rebuilt the engine in mine at about 133,333. I expect to get a lot more from it, now.
By Riad
I sold my 996 to my mechanic and he's rebuilding the engine. My wife just took this picture this morning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Scott at Team Harco
Was it still running? If so, that's a real good run.

If not, does your mechanic know what broke? For me, it was a cracked cylinder.
By Riad
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:14 pm Was it still running? If so, that's a real good run.

It was still running... but barely. It sounded like it had rocks in the engine, I think it was a timing chain.

He's rebuilding the entire engine. The rest of the car was perfect, chassis, interior et al.
By Scott at Team Harco
Riad wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:39 pm
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:14 pm Was it still running? If so, that's a real good run.

It was still running... but barely. It sounded like it had rocks in the engine, I think it was a timing chain.

He's rebuilding the entire engine. The rest of the car was perfect, chassis, interior et al.
Yeah the chain tensioners can go bad, the chains will stretch and, even worse, the IMS chain paddle is known to fail on occasion. Would be interesting to learn what your mechanic finds.

Regardless, it sounds like you got a lot of good miles out of it. :beerchug:
By Riad
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:15 pm
Riad wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:39 pm

Yeah the chain tensioners can go bad, the chains will stretch and, even worse, the IMS chain paddle is known to fail on occasion. Would be interesting to learn what your mechanic finds.

Regardless, it sounds like you got a lot of good miles out of it. :beerchug:
Next time I speak to him I'll get more details!
By Top Jimmy
My baby and dream car. Bought it in Dallas and drove it all the way to the boat in Seattle, and then from Anchorage to home. Down side is I don’t drive it in the winter due to all the rocks they put in the roads here. Just adding to the thread.

-TJ
049DE279-626E-4C06-A098-0AE1DE4E3423.jpeg
1604F829-8FB2-416B-9BF7-C496A4D937A4.jpeg
3C38914F-0D09-48AD-8787-F4738B742B0E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
worf, XR4Tim, AKSteve and 2 others liked this
By fpena944
Top Jimmy wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:38 am My baby and dream car. Bought it in Dallas and drove it all the way to the boat in Seattle, and then from Anchorage to home. Down side is I don’t drive it in the winter due to all the rocks they put in the roads here. Just adding to the thread.

-TJ

049DE279-626E-4C06-A098-0AE1DE4E3423.jpeg1604F829-8FB2-416B-9BF7-C496A4D937A4.jpeg3C38914F-0D09-48AD-8787-F4738B742B0E.jpeg
What a gorgeous machine!

How many months would you say you can drive it there?

I know when we visited in April it wasn't snowing but the roads were still filthy with dirt. Of course if you went further north to Talkeetna there was still snow everywhere!
By Top Jimmy
fpena944 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:03 pm

What a gorgeous machine!

I know when we visited in April it wasn't snowing but the roads were still filthy with dirt. Of course if you went further north to Talkeetna there was still snow everywhere!
I usually get the middle to end of April to into October here in the interior. I live in Fairbanks. It just depends on the weather like anything. But once I can, it is my daily driver unless I am towing the boat and headed to the cabin. My dream car since I was a kid and saw a 911 blow by us on the autobahn. After the drive back with the wife in the co-pilot seat, she now wants a Porsche of her own, but is more in love with a Boxter. Works for me.

-TJ
By fpena944
Top Jimmy wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:37 pm
fpena944 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:03 pm

What a gorgeous machine!

I usually get the middle to end of April to into October here in the interior. I live in Fairbanks. It just depends on the weather like anything. But once I can, it is my daily driver unless I am towing the boat and headed to the cabin. My dream car since I was a kid and saw a 911 blow by us on the autobahn. After the drive back with the wife in the co-pilot seat, she now wants a Porsche of her own, but is more in love with a Boxter. Works for me.

-TJ
I wanted to get up to Fairbanks but just ran out of time. Sister lives in Chugiak just north of Anchorage. Even though I lived in Colorado and have driven all throughout the Rocky Mountains, the scenery in Alaska was breathtaking!

Yeah I get it about using the 911 as much as possible. Have just under 180k on my 996 and over the past 12 years I've squeezed every penny out of my investment. I still haven't driven it in snow but all other conditions. I'm hoping in time I have a 991 in my garage as well. :thumbup:
By Top Jimmy
Well if you ever make it up again, let me know.

-TJ
fpena944 liked this
By AKSteve
Top Jimmy wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:38 am My baby and dream car. Bought it in Dallas and drove it all the way to the boat in Seattle, and then from Anchorage to home. Down side is I don’t drive it in the winter due to all the rocks they put in the roads here. Just adding to the thread.
Nice! I didn't even realize you had a Turbo S. I have a 2015 GT Silver Turbo (non-S) Cabriolet. I used to drive it year round, but parked it this past winter since I have a new 992 C4S. I'm thinking of selling the Cabriolet this summer. The two cars I have now are almost identical in performance and I'm thinking of either "downgrading" to a Boxster Spyder w 6-speed manual or upgrading to a 992 Turbo S Cabriolet. Most likely, I'll end up just hanging on to this car for another year though. Lol.

Top Jimmy liked this
By Top Jimmy
Steve, your 992 is the second one I know of in AK. There is one here that a guy brought up last fall and I got to see it before winter. Definitely a different animal.

Next will be a Boxter for the wife, then hopefully a 992 TTS for me after that. I sooooo love the power of the one I have now and can only imagine what the 992 brings to the table.

-TJ
By Riad
Hola ladies,

My 991 climate fan is stuck running even when the car is turned off... I had to pull the fuse to stop it from draining the battery.

My guess is that there might be a relay stuck, but not sure yet. Anyone have this issue?

Thanks,
Rob
By worf
Riad wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:13 am My 991 climate fan is stuck running even when the car is turned off... I had to pull the fuse to stop it from draining the battery.

My guess is that there might be a relay stuck, but not sure yet. Anyone have this issue?
More likely a temp sender has died. Get, borrow, rent ODB-II reader, get code, google code.

991/981/718 has a s/w-controlled power-distribution ‘brick’ that more-or-less replaces many (if not all) of the good-ole ‘53’ relays that used to populate the panel.
By Riad
Yea, that makes sense... will do, thank you!
By Cuda911
I got a nice kudos on my car from Mr. Stout today.
linderpat liked this
By groovzilla
Cuda911 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:34 pm Not much to say, except I love this car!!

2012 991 S. All the goodies (sport chrono, sport exhaust, PASM, sport suspension, yadda, yadda, yadda).
Nice car Mike! Not on this forum much these days.
Bought a 997 C4 Cabriolet 2 weeks ago in SF - Drove home to Seattle with top down.
Fun time.
Hope all is well. Get in touch whenever u do another sauce batch - All the best!

amdavid liked this
By AKSteve
I had my first ever mechanical issue on my 2015 991 turbo cabriolet today. I was driving around and everything seemed fine and then I pulled into line at the car wash and after about 10 min., I noticed all kinds of white smoke was coming from the back of my car. I backed out of line and shut the car down and looked for any kind of leak, but didn't see anything. I started the car up and drove to the dealership. No more excessive smoke was coming from the exhaust, but I noticed the oil pressure would go all the way up into the red zone on acceleration. I left it at the dealership, so we'll see. A mechanic friend of mine suggested it might be a bad turbo relief valve. Hopefully it's nothing that's crazy expensive to fix.
By amdavid
@AKSteve Bummer....you just got it back in the wild... :banghead: Yeah, hopefully nothing too expensive.
By AKSteve
amdavid wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:29 am @AKSteve Bummer....you just got it back in the wild... :banghead: Yeah, hopefully nothing too expensive.
Different car! I couldn't bring myself to sell/trade in my turbo cab when I bought my 992, so I have two 911's at the moment. But yeah, the cabriolet broke down pretty right as soon as I got my coupe back. I was planning to sell the cabriolet at the end of the summer. One cool thing is that the car has gone UP in value by about 30% since last summer. Of course, now it appears to be broken.
By amdavid
@AKSteve Aw snap, guess I should "read the fine print", or just be more aware. Makes sense, your 992 is definitely different than a 991 Tcab.

That 30% will more than cover the cost of repair.... :biggrin:
AKSteve liked this
By groovzilla
AKSteve wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:42 am I had my first ever mechanical issue on my 2015 991 turbo cabriolet today. I was driving around and everything seemed fine and then I pulled into line at the car wash and after about 10 min., I noticed all kinds of white smoke was coming from the back of my car. I backed out of line and shut the car down and looked for any kind of leak, but didn't see anything. I started the car up and drove to the dealership. No more excessive smoke was coming from the exhaust, but I noticed the oil pressure would go all the way up into the red zone on acceleration. I left it at the dealership, so we'll see. A mechanic friend of mine suggested it might be a bad turbo relief valve. Hopefully it's nothing that's crazy expensive to fix.
On 996 or 997 engine I would guess AOS fail with white smoke.
Keep us posted.
By Cuda911
groovzilla wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:42 pm
AKSteve wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:42 am I had my first ever mechanical issue on my 2015 991 turbo cabriolet today. I was driving around and everything seemed fine and then I pulled into line at the car wash and after about 10 min., I noticed all kinds of white smoke was coming from the back of my car. I backed out of line and shut the car down and looked for any kind of leak, but didn't see anything. I started the car up and drove to the dealership. No more excessive smoke was coming from the exhaust, but I noticed the oil pressure would go all the way up into the red zone on acceleration. I left it at the dealership, so we'll see. A mechanic friend of mine suggested it might be a bad turbo relief valve. Hopefully it's nothing that's crazy expensive to fix.
On 996 or 997 engine I would guess AOS fail with white smoke.
Keep us posted.
Here's what a failed AOS looked like in my 986.
By AKSteve
Got a call from the dealership and they're saying the service technician couldn't find any fault codes, there was no excessive smoke coming from the exhaust and the car drove just fine on a test drive. Oil pressure was fine.

Soooo....if the car was still under warranty I would go pick it up and drive it like I stole it to see if I could make it smoke. As is, I'll take it easy for a few days and see what happens. Maybe something like a plastic bag or something else got caught up under the car and melted from the exhaust heat?
By worf
AKSteve wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:37 pm Got a call from the dealership and they're saying the service technician couldn't find any fault codes, there was no excessive smoke coming from the exhaust and the car drove just fine on a test drive. Oil pressure was fine.

Soooo....if the car was still under warranty I would go pick it up and drive it like I stole it to see if I could make it smoke. As is, I'll take it easy for a few days and see what happens. Maybe something like a plastic bag or something else got caught up under the car and melted from the exhaust heat?
I'd bet on the AOS. If you look on the 'other' site in the 991 Turbo forum there's talk about one of the charge tubes getting filled (not really *filled* but excessive...) with oil etc. due - possibly - from the AOS failing.

So far I haven't seen it on mine. But, I plan to check the likely places soon.
By AKSteve
worf wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:24 pm I'd bet on the AOS. If you look on the 'other' site in the 991 Turbo forum there's talk about one of the charge tubes getting filled (not really *filled* but excessive...) with oil etc. due - possibly - from the AOS failing.

So far I haven't seen it on mine. But, I plan to check the likely places soon.
I'll check the other site and read up on this. But after driving around for an hour or so, I haven't noticed any issues at all. The smoking started after I was sitting in the car with the engine idling for 10+ minutes while in line at the car wash. I haven't tried to let the engine sit at idle for that long again, but I'll probably do that soon as a test.
Bring A Trailer finds

and gauges for fuel level, coolant temperatu[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]