Watercooled 911s
By Scott at Team Harco
TheDeckMan wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:01 pm Helped a buddy with his 996.1 Aero install a FVD X-pipe to free things up and add a little more noise to the Fisters. No drone, great cackle on decel and does it sound good on the fly by!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n_gIbe8-LY
That sounds great. You win the interwebz today.
TheDeckMan, diddy2003 liked this
By TheDeckMan
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:08 pm
That sounds great. You win the interwebz today.
Thanks!!!
fpena944 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:06 pm Hey since we're showing off exhausts, here is a video I made a few years ago with mine. I need to reshoot this one with better audio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPW2lLKt9aA

What exhaust?

This x-pipe and fisters does sound a lot like this 997 GT3 of another buddy that we put the center RSS bypass in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljaj4v2xlqI

Need to hand the camera over to someone next time and have them get the 996tt on this corner.
By fpena944
My car has Porsche Sport Exhaust but I've removed the "quiet mode" actuators so it is always loud. Then I added the Fabspeed 200 cell x-pipe and that's it!

The sound used to be a lot deeper but when I added the new cats it took on a higher pitch howl at upper RPMs.

It's loud but I'm so used to it that until I hit the higher revs I don't really notice it. With the top down the sound is awesome!
TheDeckMan liked this
By shamus
Couple from last weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheDeckMan liked this
By amdavid
Thanks for ear...and eye candy!
By fpena944
amdavid wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:40 pm Thanks for ear...and eye candy!
Don't drive my car often (well actually don't drive anything often) these days but when I do it's a treat for sure.

Unless it's raining and I have to have the windows up then it's radio off and windows down! :grin:
By amdavid
Yeah, one thing I will say about the 944 platform....like most 4 cylinders.....they just don't have "the sound". Nothing like the sound of a raw flat six....like a GT3 with an tuned exhaust, just lovely!
By fpena944
amdavid wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:36 pm Yeah, one thing I will say about the 944 platform....like most 4 cylinders.....they just don't have "the sound". Nothing like the sound of a raw flat six....like a GT3 with an tuned exhaust, just lovely!
I wouldn't sell the 944 sound short though. My S2 had the 3.0 liter engine and had a pretty deep bass sound to it.

One of my neighbors used to go crazy (in a good way) over the sound of it and said he loved hearing me leave for work in the mornings.

Yeah it won't match the flat-six or the Cayenne V8 for that matter but it doesn't sound obnoxious like a fart-can Honda. It still had that unique Porsche sound to it.
By Scott at Team Harco
fpena944 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:38 pm
amdavid wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:36 pm Yeah, one thing I will say about the 944 platform....like most 4 cylinders.....they just don't have "the sound". Nothing like the sound of a raw flat six....like a GT3 with an tuned exhaust, just lovely!
I wouldn't sell the 944 sound short though. My S2 had the 3.0 liter engine and had a pretty deep bass sound to it.

One of my neighbors used to go crazy (in a good way) over the sound of it and said he loved hearing me leave for work in the mornings.

Yeah it won't match the flat-six or the Cayenne V8 for that matter but it doesn't sound obnoxious like a fart-can Honda. It still had that unique Porsche sound to it.
We had custom stainless exhaust systems made for both my S2 and my wife's 85.5. They both sound outstanding for 4-cylinder engines. Stu really sounded good. Reminds me, I need to get that engine built...
By Scott at Team Harco
This doesn't really fit on the 133,333 mile thread. I have decided to use Speedy to layout an SCCA national road rally (Hell and Back). My other car is fine. It has served me well for a lot of events, as a competitor, and as a RallyMaster. But - I'm having too much fun with Speedy.

In order to properly measure such a route, a very accurate mileage measuring device is needed. This is an old electronic rally odometer. It takes magnetic pulses from a rotating shaft. I use magnets on axleshafts for my 'regular' rally cars. This is a temporary - proof of concept - trial. It may become more permanent, as time goes on.

Here's a simple mount I made with crap I had on hand. I did buy some electrical connectors. Two screws have been added to 'anchor' the mount to the the all-weather floor mat. The mast is mounted to the center console with a contoured aluminum plate via Velcro. A high density foam wedge braces it further with the navigator's seat.

For laying out a rally, this should be acceptable. For competition, not so much (too flimsy). The odometer can be rotated in the support. A thumbscrew is there to lock it; for the driver, or for the navigator (or in between). I also added a remote switch (looks a lot like a 4" segment of a hockey stick handle) to pause (hold) the display at an instant.

By TexSquirrel
Scott, be careful about the passenger airbag.
If it contacts your mount, it could be dangerous.
You might consider disabling the airbag while using your mount.
By Scott at Team Harco
Hey, Bruce - good to see you over here. Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure this car has operational airbags. Either way, I think it is far enough away from the passenger airbag to reduce risk.
By Fox_
I saw a video of a C4S converted to 2wd to make the C2S that never was.

Now I want one. :surrender:
By fpena944
Fox_ wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:03 am I saw a video of a C4S converted to 2wd to make the C2S that never was.

People do that with the Turbo too so you get a GT2-lite out of it!
By TurboCup87
TheDeckMan wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:30 pm
fpena944 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:07 pm Don't you love the smell of that stuff?

Why such a short change interval? Doesn't it usually go much longer than that?

Nice shop!
Smells lovely! I use to rebuild VW transmissions on the weekends for builds so got use to the smell. Been about 4 years since the last flush, I like to flush every 4 years or 20k miles. Works well with removal of contaminants and lengthens life. The Audi TT has 180k miles on the original box with over 400 track hours, I change the fluid on that every 20k street miles or 20 track hours.

Thanks for the complements on the garage, it use to be my machine shop then I converted most of it back to my garage to work on/collect cars. Prior to that it was a Ford dealership from 1927-1975.

Turned the old inspection office into a parts/clean assembly room.

Hang out night with the local car crew, normally have a good mix of 911's/M3's ect that show up to throw a car on a lift to do a mod or two.

Back when a Ford Dealership.

What a wonderful shop to have.... you are truly fortunate.
By XR4Tim
Fox_ wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:03 am I saw a video of a C4S converted to 2wd to make the C2S that never was.

We got it, but it was called the 40th Anniversary model.
By fpena944
XR4Tim wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:18 pm

Didn't have the wide body though, right?
By XR4Tim
fpena944 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:51 pm
XR4Tim wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:18 pm

Didn't have the wide body though, right?
Correct. It had the X51 power kit and a C4S-style front bumper, but it was still a narrow body.
By Cuda911
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By TheDeckMan
TurboCup87 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:19 pm What a wonderful shop to have.... you are truly fortunate.
Thanks!

RWD wide body 996 is a sweet setup with some good big rubber!
fpena944 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:50 pm People do that with the Turbo too so you get a GT2-lite out of it!
It is a lot of fun :bigok:

Last quick drive to fill up and washed the 996 up. Ready to go under the knife this winter.
By Flat6Noise
996’s are the potato chips of 911’s. You start off with one...

But I’d have three if I could afford it or had the room!
(Like a yellow aero coupe :beerchug: )

XR4Tim, TheDeckMan liked this
By fpena944
Flat6Noise wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:46 am 996’s are the potato chips of 911’s. You start off with one...

But I’d have three if I could afford it or had the room!
(Like a yellow aero coupe :beerchug: )

Nice!

If it were up to me I'd have my current Cabrio, a Turbo, and a GT3.

One for cruising, one for racing, and the other for tearing up the streets!
Flat6Noise liked this
By Flat6Noise
I hear you loud and clear about the GT3. I wonder what the going price of a very old and well used kidney is?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Porsche-9 ... SwJTNgUNtb

But I still think the early headlights look better than the .2 in the ad above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B11WIhJJxXk

And then there’s the symphony of the 7,500 rpm redline through the exhaust that’s just plain intoxicating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vU1OuV8d3o

You really only do need one kidney, right?
By fpena944
Had one of those "on this day today..." notifications pop up on my phone and wow look what was doing 11 years ago today:

Me taming the Tail of the Dragon on my 996 that I still own and drive today. I can't wait to take it back there since I've upgraded the suspension and exhaust since then:
image.png
By Gregs04.5
After I sold my 944, the new owner sent me a pic of him in my old 944 on that road. He drove it from s.e. Wi, to the tail of the dragon, and back without incident. Always liked that (underpowered) car.

I need to do that trip someday.

Greg
amdavid liked this
By linderpat
I'm guessing some of you saw that gorgeous oak green over tan leather 99 C2 sell on BaT today for $55K. This has to be anew record for a non-turbo 996.
By fpena944
linderpat wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:54 pm I'm guessing some of you saw that gorgeous oak green over tan leather 99 C2 sell on BaT today for $55K. This has to be anew record for a non-turbo 996.
Just based on asking prices it seems like prices are going up. Rising tide I guess but also there's been a change in the attitude towards the car. Most are now saying, "Who cares about the headlights? This car is a bargain!"
By fpena944
How about some impromptu dirty car photos? I liked the scenery but my car has been through a couple of recent rainstorms and I didn't have the chance to wash it yet:

Flat6Noise liked this
By Scott at Team Harco
You don't know the meaning of dirty.

By fpena944
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:35 am You don't know the meaning of dirty.

:roflmao:

You need to bring that car to a Concours event and see people pass out! :lol2:
amdavid liked this
By amdavid
Nice Scott.....intended use!
By Scott at Team Harco
fpena944 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:51 am
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:35 am You don't know the meaning of dirty.

:roflmao:

You need to bring that car to a Concours event and see people pass out! :lol2:
I prefer to drive my cars. Sitting on a lawn chair in front of a car that got hours of polishing, has never been a desire.

A rally friend mentioned how the wax and shine crowd (Porsche/ other) would have a heart attack if they saw how I use my cars. I showed him the salute I would have for them, along with the words I would use. :tongue:

Break #2 at Son of Sno*Drift XXIII: I have the scores on the laptop, on the tea table...

By TheDeckMan
While helping a friend out with a suspension install and intercoolers on his 996tt, found one of the FVD headers was cracked and swapped them out for good old stock ones.

New LMs, KW V3's mixed with my suspension arms and toe links, AWE IC's. She now is a monster with some other small items.

Its nice to see a plan come together. Just have to adjust the rear coils and add a little camber and she is ready to eat some pavement.
diddy2003, amdavid liked this
By diddy2003
Bumping this thread. It just dumped a ton of snow here, 2 feet in places, and I miss summer drives.

TheDeckMan liked this
By fpena944
@diddy2003 - great photos! Thanks for bumping this thread and welcome!

I haven't been driving my 996 too often lately as my Cayman has taken over daily driver duties but I did take it out last night for a country road drive. Just ran out to my porch to get a photo for today to add to this thread. Tried to make it a little "artsy" but not really a pro photographer:

diddy2003, TheDeckMan liked this
By diddy2003
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:56 pm From when I was able to drive...
Great picture.
David993S wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:31 pm Welcome Diddy. Great looking 996.
Thanks. Deckman and I have done a bit to it over the years.

We did quite a bit to it a few winters ago. Then I took it for a long road trip to Maine.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1 ... -trip.html
XR4Tim liked this
By diddy2003
Thread bump with some pics of the new wheels. E88s with 245/40 18 and 295/30 18 Michelin 4S. H&R RSS Coilovers hopefully going on next week.

XR4Tim, TheDeckMan, amdavid liked this
By fpena944
diddy2003 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:02 pm Now on H&R RSS coilovers.

Love the stance!

Eventually need to lower my cabrio. Bought a RoW M030 kit years ago and although it improved handling, it didn't lower the car. This is a good look!
By diddy2003
fpena944 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:56 pm
diddy2003 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:02 pm Now on H&R RSS coilovers.

Love the stance!

Eventually need to lower my cabrio. Bought a RoW M030 kit years ago and although it improved handling, it didn't lower the car. This is a good look!
Thank you. I went on Noah's "TheDeckMan" recommendation. He has RSS Coilovers on his 996TT, Audi TT, and soon to be on his 997TT. They ride very well. Not nearly as harsh as the B6/H&R Sport Spring setup. Eric from Supreme Power hooked me up with the set and they weren't too bad for money. I sold the B6/springs before I even took them off the car, so going to coilovers was well worth it. They ride great and the stance is much better.
TheDeckMan liked this
By TheDeckMan
Coilovers are the only way :beerchug:
diddy2003 liked this
By diddy2003
Finally was able to get a proper alignment to fix camber after the wheel/tire/suspension change. I ended up going with RSS rear dog bones for the rear camber. John at the alignment shop did a great job. Spent a long time getting it correct.
https://roadsportsupply.com/307-rear-ad ... 6-997-all/

The car drives great. I'm very happy with the results. A dramatic difference going from 19 inch OEM 997 wheels with H&R/B6s to 18 inch E88s and coilovers.

TheDeckMan, amdavid liked this
By fpena944
diddy2003 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:28 pm Finally was able to get a proper alignment to fix camber after the wheel/tire/suspension change. I ended up going with RSS rear dog bones for the rear camber. John at the alignment shop did a great job. Spent a long time getting it correct.
https://roadsportsupply.com/307-rear-ad ... 6-997-all/

The car drives great. I'm very happy with the results. A dramatic difference going from 19 inch OEM 997 wheels with H&R/B6s to 18 inch E88s and coilovers.

Did you go to the 18" because of the coilovers? Most people tend to move towards a larger tire size, not as many go down to a smaller. Just curious.

Looks great and I'm sure it handles unbelievably well!
By diddy2003
I did like the 19 inch wheels, but they never really belonged on a 996 to be honest. They were 997S lobster wheels. 996s never came with 19s. I needed a 14mm spacer in front to make them look good. I liked them, but then I scored a set of E88s. MASSIVE difference. The weight difference is dramatic. The wheels are 18x9/18x11.5 and I am running 245/40 and 295/30 tires vs 19x8/19x11 with 235/35 and 305/30 tires. Huge difference in ride quality.

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]