8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By milrad
As some of you may know, I’m in a bit deep on some catch-up maintenance on my 89 GT. Removing the pilot bearing was a task on the list. I read on TOS numerous methods to remove the bugger...bolt, nut, and Allen wrench; pack the cavity with grease and force it out with hydraulic pressure; get a Harbor Freight puller and get to work on your bench grinder to make it fit; and others....amazing the creativity to save some $.

On the other hand, I’m always looking for an excuse to buy another good German or US made tool. No apologies lol. I am what I am.

In this case, I found the reference in the WSM for a Kukko puller. I have several other types of pullers from Kukko. They make good stuff. So I bought these:

Worked like a damn charm. Couldn’t have been easier. No pinched fingers, no face full of grease.

I searched the usual online German tool vendors. Not in stock, special order, high prices, etc. then I found a site for VW dealers and technicians that sells “factory” tools...and the public can order. $14x as I recall for both pieces. Had them in 3 days. Way more expensive than the HF tool. But no $&@/:-“@ around modifying it to fit or wondering if the China junk will snap in your face. Now I just need a couple more 928s to work on to get my money’s worth!!! (Obviously it’s not specific to this bearing...will work on lots of similar set ups).

So in the end, :rtfm: . Who knew :roflmao: ?
By Hey_Allen
That's just cheating, having the proper tool...

And now I know of another German tool manufacturer that I hadn't heard of previously. Wiha gets a good bit of my money, but most of the German brands are out of reach for the things I'm doing.
By milrad
Shifted wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:23 am
Do you think that yours would fit if the engine, bell housing and torque tube were still in the car?
That’s a good question, and I was wondering the same thing. Based on your photo, I think so. But I’d have to check to make sure, unless you happen to have the overall length of yours handy. I’ll make a note to see if it fits before I put the clutch back in.

1st place in both prototypes and GT classes at S[…]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-DgVrPnV7Q T[…]

sunroof cover questions

Yeah. No padding. But, unless the padding wraps ar[…]

928 quick questions thread

Exactly Phil. Thicker sealing washers or a shorter[…]