By DAVfoto
Yea, I know I am all over the place with cars. One of these days I'll be able to afford something in the 100-200k category but until that time, I will stare at this on my screen everyday! I was at an Aston Dealer in D.C. and started the new DB11 AMR and just fell in love instantly with that car, didn't even need to test drive it. Though I will find some time to do so at some point when I am a buyer at some point in my life.

Aston isn't considered a Super Car but I do love a good GT car and the new DB11, DBS are so beautiful!

Anyone here ever owned an Aston or have experiences with them? I know they are struggling somewhat but I do hope they continue to chug on for years to come!
2019-Aston-Martin-DB11-AMR-001-1600.jpg
2019-Aston-Martin-DBS-Superleggera-014-1600.jpg
2017-Aston-Martin-Vanquish-S-002-1600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By XR4Tim
The only one I've driven was a V12 Vantage Volante. It was more fun than I expected, and the sound was phenomenal. They really do well with the looks and sounds.
By DAVfoto
2013 db9 Volante for me, only one I've ever driven. And it itself invoked some emotion.

In order from best to almost best I would go with:

DBS Manual
V12 Vantage S Manual
DBS Superleggera
DB11 AMR
Vanquish Gen 2
new V8 Vantage
Previous Gen V8 Vantage S
DB9 gen 2
Virage
Vanquish Gen 1
DB9 Gen 1

Those would be my preferences for cars to have. Still all amazing but would prefer one of the manuals or DBS/DB11
By David993S
I have a buddy with a V8 Vantage. I've ridden in it a few times and it is glorious. He has several other cars so it doesn't get a lot of use, but he hasn't had any issues with it. And it is beautiful.
By TheDeckMan
Always been a sucker for V8 Vantages..... :rockon:
By DAVfoto
V8 Vantage as a great look, needs to be lowered a little like the S and better wheels. The V8 Vantage S is where it's at. Or a V12 Vantage.

I was looking at gen 2 Vanquishes and you can now find them for right at 100 or just under. 340k car for under 100 and only 5-6 years old. One day..
By CBEJBL
Have had a few. V8 Vantage, V12 Vantage and a DB9. Am a real fan of the marque. Love the new DB11. Look forward to driving another some day.
By Airkuhl
CBEJBL wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:42 am Have had a few. V8 Vantage, V12 Vantage and a DB9. Am a real fan of the marque. Love the new DB11. Look forward to driving another some day.
How would you compare the 3? AM is an itch I haven't scratched yet. Timeless design.
By CBEJBL
V8 Vantage great all round car. Exhaust note is fantastic. Not a torquey V8. Only makes power high on the revs. Great daily. Also took it on a 4K mile road trip. Excellent.

V12 Vantage was just awesome. Classic big motor in a small car. Mine was a manual (as was the v8). So rare. Would recommend buying if you find a nice one.

DB9 had the same V12 motor. Fabulous GT car. So pretty to look at. Solid road manners. Great sound as well.

Vantage and DB9 are some of the best looking cars ever built. No real maintenance concerns. Would love to have any of them back.
By CBEJBL
Been seriously considering a Portofino. That avatar yours?
By CBEJBL
Nice!

Bought an F12 last September. Birthday present to self! :burnout:
By Airkuhl
CBEJBL wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:38 pm Nice!

Bought an F12 last September. Birthday present to self! :burnout:
Nice! F12 is probably my favorite looking modern Ferrari.

I narrowed it down to the F12 or Porto. I realize that apples vs oranges but it's what it was.

The F12 is faster and more exciting to drive. It's majestic, the ultimate V12 GT car. Driving it is more of a special event. I got the impression it wanted to kill me though. Zero slop off center. That was actually pretty cool, but not sure it's what I want in a GT car. I may get one someday, I like it better than the 812.

The Porto is newer and has the next gen cockpit and displays. The Porto is down 100hp but is also 300lbs lighter and has 60ft/lbs more torque. It can keep up anywhere except a track. They have about the same carrying capacity which was important to us since it's our weekend road trip car and these are both GT cars.

Being able to drop the top was the tie-breaker. Our driving season is short up here and every weekend is about soaking up the sun, either on the boat or in the car with the top down. Get one if a drop-top is important, otherwise you're not missing anything with an F12 in the stable.

We took a road trip up to Glacier National Park. Blasted down the highway with the top up in comfort, then dropped it for the slower twisty bits. Best of both worlds IMO.
IMG_2715.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By 911Königin
^^^ :bowdown: :bowdown: You do know that owners of red cars need a seperate bank account to pay for the speeding tickets :evilgrin: ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS :rockon: I'm so jealous :eyepop:
By TRAKCAR
DB11 seems like a great looking car with V12 and last gen Mercedes stuff, or the V8TT driveline from AMG in the DB11 or Vantage. Too bad they don’t come with much Factory or CPO warranty or id get one over an AMG. Still might, look like a nice cars. Not to take to the track but all around great cars if they are dependable now.
By terry997
Imagine you're a 15 year old in boarding school in England, and your friend says we're invited for lunch at the nearby estate of the 4th wealthiest family in England.

Their driver shows up in a new DB5. Driven by an ex SAS with defensive driving training.

I asked to pass on lunch and just keep driving. Loved Astons ever since.

We got the driver to show us how their Bentley handled with the same driving. "Show us what she'll do, George!"
By DAVfoto
terry997 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:43 pm Imagine you're a 15 year old in boarding school in England, and your friend says we're invited for lunch at the nearby estate of the 4th wealthiest family in England.

Their driver shows up in a new DB5. Driven by an ex SAS with defensive driving training.

We got the driver to show us how their Bentley handled with the same driving. "Show us what she'll do, George!"
Are you from the UK originally? That sounds amazing. I grew up around Bentley's my father has a one off coachwork 1952 R-type that he restored when I was born. Has a 98 Brooklands R as well. I've always wanted a 30's 4 1/4 litre drophead and an Aston. Something about English cars that give you a sense of style and class.
By terry997
DAVfoto wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:00 pm
terry997 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:43 pm Imagine you're a 15 year old in boarding school in England, and your friend says we're invited for lunch at the nearby estate of the 4th wealthiest family in England.

Are you from the UK originally? That sounds amazing. I grew up around Bentley's my father has a one off coachwork 1952 R-type that he restored when I was born. Has a 98 Brooklands R as well. I've always wanted a 30's 4 1/4 litre drophead and an Aston. Something about English cars that give you a sense of style and class.
Just there as a USAF brat, liked it, and finished up 9 years in 2 boarding schools. From 1953 to 1965 with a US interval. Saw a lot of nice cars arriving to pick up their charges.

Queen and Prince Phillip toured the school in 1964. Friends told me she asked, "Where's the American?" "Sitting in the back of your car chatting up the driver." The Irish troubles were going on, so he told me he couldn't open the bonnet and let me peek inside.
By Chunpng
Hi Davenport,

Here is a repost from another thread in the Diner's Forum.

"Hi,

Got my test drive in today. First the verdict: No Sale.

Now why. I don't have to repeat all the reasons why I love the car, the look, the sound. Both exceeded expectations.

Now the deal-breakers.
(1) Drive by wire throttle: When we mesh the right pedal, we were used to seeing a free-revving speedo needle rapidly climbing up the dial. The Vantage drive by wire (read electronic) throttle makes the revving a linear affair. That stunts both the actual acceleration and the sound (rev dependent). The acceleration is not impressive. (adequate for most applications, just not Porsche level impressive) I read about this flaw many times, just did not realize how disastrous this is in real life.
(2) Ergonomics: The car was designed for someone with long torsos. I could not find a comfortable driving position where I can see well over the dash.Since the Vantage has a very long hood, that makes driving/parking quite uneasy for me. If I own this car, I need a seat cushion just to get a better vantage point (pun intended).
(3) Shifter: Shifter was fine all the way to 4th gear. 5th and 6th you would require noticeable effort to push the shifter to the right to get in gear. Upshift is ok, but downshift becomes tricky. In 6th, I ended in 3rd instead of 5th. I'm sure given enough time, I can get used to it, but that is a design flaw that may catch other drivers by surprise.
(4) Stiff, and I mean STIFF clutch. My Ruf had a stiff clutch but the Vantage is another level of leg-press workout. I can see how stop and go traffic can be a major pain in this baby.
(5) Comfort: The interior is top notch and plush, but the leather seat is very hard and non-supple. Have to add a seat cushion or long trips will be literally a pain in the ass.

Bottom line. It is a good enough car, but not a great car, especially after what we have owned and driven. Melissa summed it up best: "The Vantage will impress the heck out of everyone who is not in the driver's seat."

Unfortunately, I'm in the drivers' seat.

So another dream date turns out to be not so hot. I think I've been too spoiled by my past rides. It may be hard to find another car that will float my boat. Well, there is always the Ruf RGT.

Thanks again for your indulgence."

We actually got our next ride. Waiting for the transport to show up at our door as I'm typing this. But that's another thread altogether.

Good luck with the AM. They are jaw-dropping gorgeous for sure.

CP
By Geza-aka-Zombo
A recent BaT auction has got me hankering for a V8 Vantage 6 speed. A gentlemen commented that I should but this book, which I will.

https://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Guide ... 095068256X

In a perfect world, I would find one in a darker blue with red leather interior/black carpet. BRG (or similar) with saddle leather/black carpet would also work. Something around 2007 to 2012 <40K miles. Got to do some research - isn't this the best part of the car experience - deciding you want something, then going out on the quest to obtain it?

It would be a replacement for my GT350, which is fantastic, but, dare I say, too capable. I'm thinking the Vantage would be a better built, more luxurious, somewhat scaled back, less frantic version of the 350.
By worf
Geza-aka-Zombo wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:24 am
From that URL:

Publisher ‏ : ‎ Sceptre Publishers; 14th edition (January 1, 1683)

I didn’t realize how ancient the vantage series was. I does explain British dominance in the sea lanes… :lol2:

Anyways… $400.

The kindle version is $40. But, at what resolution are the pictures included? Anyone know? In my experience, pictures included in e-books are at like 10 DPI(*) and look like shit

(*) Yeah, naw, not 10 dpi but a sufficiently low resolution that there’s no point in zooming in. So, certainly no more than 150 and probably 72.
By Geza-aka-Zombo
worf wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:35 am
Geza-aka-Zombo wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:24 am
From that URL:

Publisher ‏ : ‎ Sceptre Publishers; 14th edition (January 1, 1683)

I didn’t realize how ancient the vantage series was. I does explain British dominance in the sea lanes… :lol2:

Anyways… $400.

The kindle version is $40. But, at what resolution are the pictures included? Anyone know? In my experience, pictures included in e-books are at like 10 DPI(*) and look like shit

(*) Yeah, naw, not 10 dpi but a sufficiently low resolution that there’s no point in zooming in. So, certainly no more than 150 and probably 72.
I bought the Kindle version; pictures have decent resolution.
By XR4Tim
Geza-aka-Zombo wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:24 am A recent BaT auction has got me hankering for a V8 Vantage 6 speed. A gentlemen commented that I should but this book, which I will.

In a perfect world, I would find one in a darker blue with red leather interior/black carpet. BRG (or similar) with saddle leather/black carpet would also work. Something around 2007 to 2012 <40K miles. Got to do some research - isn't this the best part of the car experience - deciding you want something, then going out on the quest to obtain it?
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... NE/DEFAULT
Geza-aka-Zombo liked this
Bring A Trailer finds

and gauges for fuel level, coolant temperatu[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]