General discussions related to cars and driving
By fpena944
Friend of mine reached out to me as he assumed I knew all things cars. But one question I couldn't give him a good answer on is which aftermarket auto warranty company is decent. Fact is, I've never purchased an additional warranty for any vehicle I've owned.

What about any of you? Any good or awful experiences to share so I can give my bud a sense of direction on which way to go or who to stay clear of?

Thanks!
By N_Jay
1) Find the most comprehensive 5year plan possible, and get a price quote.
2) Put that much money in an investment account with no withdraws except for major failures of the car.
3) In five years, be happy!
By Cuda911
I have a warranty through Fidelity. Pricing varies a lot! I was able to get it at a large discount through a friend. On RL, many recommend buying through a guy named Michael Jourdan. I forgot what dealership he works for, but there are a bunch of threads on it.
Alansglide liked this
By Scott at Team Harco
Hasn't your friend gotten a call from, Sarah? You know, Sarah, from 'warranty services'?

By Alansglide
Cuda911 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:31 pm I have a warranty through Fidelity. Pricing varies a lot! I was able to get it at a large discount through a friend. On RL, many recommend buying through a guy named Michael Jourdan. I forgot what dealership he works for, but there are a bunch of threads on it.
Agreed Mike. I have two cars covered by Fidelity and I've used them once already at the dealer with no problem.
By jcnesq
I had Fidelity on my 997TT and the one time I used it, it paid off with no problems. I've always heard that Fidelity is about as good as it gets.

I believe a dealer's cost is roughly half of the list prices for the warranties, so dealer's can give huge discounts and still make some profit. I think I got about 40% off list (I am very close to my dealer's management). So definitely shop around, dealers can and will give big discounts but you will have to hunt for them.
By N_Jay
My experience is that I got the MB Extended CPO warranty when I got the E350 because a few people scared me into thinking expensive things could break on an MB.
I just about broke even only because MB Dealer service is so friggin expensive.
Maybe lost a few bucks because a few things I attributed to the extended warranty, might have been covered by teh standard CPO warranty.

Then I got an aftermarket warranty on the GL320 because a few people scared me into thinking expensive things could break on a diesel.
Lost a little money, and only got close to breaking even because I blew up the alternator using an electric winch, and had it fixed as an independent Sprinter service shop.
Probably would have broken even if I took it to the dealer, but had heard of these guys and it died near them.

Only two extended warranties I have ever bought, and neither was really worth it, since without the warranty, I would have just done the work myself at a fraction of the cost.

But since you asked, I did a TON of shopping for the Warranty on the GL and found these guys to have great prices and a good reputation.

https://autowarranties.com/

Heck, they are still around 8 years later.
By fpena944
Thanks everyone!

Texted my friend to ask what he decided to do after I provided him a couple of recommendations.

He is going the savings account approach and will warranty himself :roflmao:

I guess the financials didn't quite work for him and he figured he'll take his chances!
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]