By DAVfoto
So besides me thinking of an F car. I have kinda put the thought out there of trading my Cay GTS for one of these:

or

I've always liked AEV products and I have known Dave since he started the company as a modding company for Jeeps. They have built one hell of a franchise and the Dodge Rams and Jeeps are designed extremely well. Fiat Chrysler has even started selling them at dealers with full warranties.

Then there is the Raptor which doesn't need much of an introduction. Offroad wise, the Raptor might need some mods to compete with the Prospector XL in the more gnarly stuff but for what I'd use them for, it would be work based and overland travel.

I am looking at a career change into Construction Management so I figured I'd probably need a truck, then again, I don't really neeeeed one of these trucks, would be more of a want. And these are big and heavy and probably would be very cumbersome to drive compared to what I am using now.

Starting this thread as more of a discussion on trucks, overland and general offroading more so than my decision and what I should do. Discuss!
By Cuda911
Friend of mine recently bought a Raptor. He loves it. Great- looking vehicle.

I do my off-roading in my '93 Jeep.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Airkuhl
I have a Raptor so I'm biased.

I will say that I would not hesitate to drive it across the country and back. Despite being offroad focused, it rides and tracks really well on the highway, has more than enough passing power and is about as comfortable as a vehicle gets. I don't know how happy a full overland conversion would be if you need to drive from NYC to Moab or something.

Biggest issue with most of these big trucks offroad is their width. A Raptor is almost 2 feet wider than that '93 Jeep.
By DAVfoto
Yea, biggest issue is compatibility here in NYC metro. Granted we are looking at houses and will most likely move a bit further out with a garage and driveway. So parking it there won't be much of an issue.

I'll have to go test drive a Raptor, test driving an AEV Pros XL or even standard Pros will be a chore to find.
By Dbull65
It depends on want you want to do with your truck. If you want to go anywhere and climb a wall, then the Dodge is a great truck. But if you want to blast down a dirt road or trail at 100 mph, then get the Raptor. Also, I believe the Raptor is much better on the road. I have owned a lot of trucks, including two 4x4 F250s great trucks but they could beat you up. I also owned to Harley Davidson Trucks one with a supercharger and I have owned two Raptors. I mentioned the HD F150s because the one with the supercharger was considered kind of fast. I can honestly say the Raptor is much faster both on the road and off. It goes everywhere and it really fast (for a truck). I believe the 0-6t0 is around 5 seconds. It is as fast as a 2007 Mustang GT and it can do it off road.
By SeanR
Buddy of mine just bought a Jeep Rubicon diesel and we took it on a 3k mile road trip up to S. Dakota. That thing is comfortable and very capable. Been looking at the Gladiator for myself. Only issue I had was the 96mph governor, but it does have mud tires.
By DAVfoto
Dbull65 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:56 am It depends on want you want to do with your truck. If you want to go anywhere and climb a wall, then the Dodge is a great truck. But if you want to blast down a dirt road or trail at 100 mph, then get the Raptor. Also, I believe the Raptor is much better on the road. I have owned a lot of trucks, including two 4x4 F250s great trucks but they could beat you up. I also owned to Harley Davidson Trucks one with a supercharger and I have owned two Raptors. I mentioned the HD F150s because the one with the supercharger was considered kind of fast. I can honestly say the Raptor is much faster both on the road and off. It goes everywhere and it really fast (for a truck). I believe the 0-6t0 is around 5 seconds. It is as fast as a 2007 Mustang GT and it can do it off road.
Yea I figured the Ram will be less comfortable on the road but I have heard good things about them being more comfortable than other HD type trucks with the suspension setup that AEV built. I think of the AEV as like a mobile command center that I could drive across the country and do anything in. I think the Cayenne will stay and this would be a secondary. Doubt I could have this as the only car we have. Wife won't drive it.
By JDS968
Damn, I should have been paying more attention to this section. My neighbor has a Prospector XL. I suppose I could ask him about it if you're still interested, 10 months later. He has three Cummins Ram 2500s including the Prospector, an XJ Cherokee or two, and I think he just picked up a new Ram 1500 with the Pentastar. He does pavers and brick work and other masonry stuff like that. Pulls a rather heavy looking enclosed trailer (maybe full of pavers?) with the oldest Ram, a double cab long bed.

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]