Boats, Planes, Motorcycles, ATVs, RVs, and all other fun non-automotive vehicles
By ranger22
Closing on a lake house this week. I’ve been looking at boats, but never actually owned one. They seem like a huge money pit and I’m shocked by the cost of some of them. My kids are 7 and prob not really into hardcore skiing or wakeboarding. I’ve been looking at the Yamaha center console 210 FSH. It’s a 21ft jet boat in a center console fishing format but still setup to tow skiers or tubers. The sunshade won’t support a tall tow mount. I like it because maintenance is supposed to be low and no propellers to be concerned about with my kids swimming around.

Are there other options I should be considering? Aside from maintenance, propeller safety, size, what else should I be considering or looking for on boats? Given that inventory is basically nil and everything is presold, am I foolish to think there may be room to negotiate price? Any other advice is much appreciated, I’m sure there are questions I’ve not even thought about asking. Cheers!
By lupo.sk
Are you actually gonna use it? I mean on a regular basis.
Maybe start with renting one if you can find it and see what you like before you pull the trigger.
By maddog2020
ranger22 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:46 am Closing on a lake house this week. I’ve been looking at boats, but never actually owned one. They seem like a huge money pit and I’m shocked by the cost of some of them. My kids are 7 and prob not really into hardcore skiing or wakeboarding. I’ve been looking at the Yamaha center console 210 FSH. It’s a 21ft jet boat in a center console fishing format but still setup to tow skiers or tubers. The sunshade won’t support a tall tow mount. I like it because maintenance is supposed to be low and no propellers to be concerned about with my kids swimming around.

Are there other options I should be considering? Aside from maintenance, propeller safety, size, what else should I be considering or looking for on boats? Given that inventory is basically nil and everything is presold, am I foolish to think there may be room to negotiate price? Any other advice is much appreciated, I’m sure there are questions I’ve not even thought about asking. Cheers!
Take the amount you are thinking about spending on a boat & quadruple it. Then put it in a satchel and burn it. Then bang your wife's best friend/sister knowing she will find out and divorce you into the poor house. If you are good to go with that strategy and the pain/pleasure aspect, then you are ready for boat ownership.

Oh, and about the time your daughter is 9 the 16 year old punk working at the gas dock (yeah the one with the nose ring and the long hair) will be eyballing her every time you get gas.
linderpat liked this
By ranger22
^^ha! This plan just sounds better and better!

In all seriousness, I do enjoy being on the water. Up until now, my motto was the best boat is one owned by a good friend. Quadrouple the purchase price?

Since boats really aren’t readily available, my plan was to rent a boat a few times over the summer and see how my kids do. If they don’t take to it like I have, then I’ll skip the boat.
By Scott at Team Harco
The only thing I could have offered, was to make sure it floats.

Good thing there are smarter, more experienced, people here, to offer better advice.
XR4Tim liked this
By fpena944
ranger22 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:51 am ^^ha! This plan just sounds better and better!

In all seriousness, I do enjoy being on the water. Up until now, my motto was the best boat is one owned by a good friend. Quadrouple the purchase price?

Since boats really aren’t readily available, my plan was to rent a boat a few times over the summer and see how my kids do. If they don’t take to it like I have, then I’ll skip the boat.
I was seriously considering one last year and still regret not pulling the trigger.

For me it was because I knew we wouldn't be using it every weekend since we have been traveling to all corners of the state playing tourist for he past several months. I did end up buying a small boat but barely used it because it was so slow and offered no protection from the sun.

In any case once I get settled into our next home I'll be on the hunt again. I've heard horror stories before about boat costs but to me it's like owning an upscale European car. Sure there are some expensive repairs and running costs but if you buy right and maintain properly, it should provide tons of smiles per dollar.
By amdavid
I'm a decent resource on watercraft, fresh water, not so much on ocean going rigs.

@ranger22 % of fishing vs. watersports vs. cruising?

The propeller issue is only an issue on Outboard and I/O boats. Most ski boats and the like have their propellers positioned underneath the hull.
By fpena944
amdavid wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:29 pm I'm a decent resource on watercraft, fresh water, not so much on ocean going rigs.

The propeller issue is only an issue on Outboard and I/O boats. Most ski boats and the like have their propellers positioned underneath the hull.
But if he's looking for a center console then those generally aren't considered ski boats so the jet drive on the Yamaha is pretty unique.
By fpena944
amdavid wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:23 pm @fpena944 Good point, but didn't see it as a "requirement".
That's true. I've always preferred the look of the inboard/outboard personally but it's also the one that is most difficult to work on.
By ranger22
amdavid wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:29 pm I'm a decent resource on watercraft, fresh water, not so much on ocean going rigs.

Fair question that I plan to sort out before buying. I like fishing and I think my family will enjoy it more than skiing or wakeboarding. I think we’d use the boat to fish (40-45%) of the time and the rest would be split between pulling a tube, exploring the lake and taking it out to grab some food. As I mentioned earlier, there are long lead times on boats unless I can find a good used one, which is much harder than buying new right now. I plan to hire a guide or two over the summer to see how my kids do and determine how long they will last before wanting to get off the water. I’ll rent a boat a few times too and do the same test. If they aren’t that into it, I’ll just settle to rent on special occasions. If it were just for me, I’d be out fishing a lot. I just enjoy it, so long as it’s active fishing and not just setting a line and waiting.

As for center console, I think they are the coolest. Similar to driving around in a GT3 and pretending it’s a racecar, I will be running around in this 21 footer and pretending is a serious offshore fishing boat. Pathetic, I know.
By amdavid
@ranger22 Sounds like you have a reasonable plan, go with it.

There are soooo many variables, it's hard to give targeted advice.....must consider........availability, budget, use, storage, water access, maintenance, towing, launching, insurance, kids interest, who's doing all the work, i.e. driving and being a "captain"...a ton of responsibility. Unfortunately we don't enjoy our boat that often because of all the crap I mentioned above..

Jet drives are really nice for shallow water and maneuverability, in fact that Yamaha looks sweet.
By ranger22
amdavid wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:42 pm @ranger22 Sounds like you have a reasonable plan, go with it.

There are soooo many variables, it's hard to give targeted advice.....must consider........availability, budget, use, storage, water access, maintenance, towing, launching, insurance, kids interest, who's doing all the work, i.e. driving and being a "captain"...a ton of responsibility. Unfortunately we don't enjoy our boat that often because of all the crap I mentioned above..

Jet drives are really nice for shallow water and maneuverability, in fact that Yamaha looks sweet.
I’ve read that jet drives are harder to maneuver, a bit slow out of the pocket, and kind of loud. I have no experience operating a jet drive, so I have no idea. Have you tried one out?
By amdavid
ranger22 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:10 pm
amdavid wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:42 pm @ranger22 Sounds like you have a reasonable plan, go with it.

I’ve read that jet drives are harder to maneuver, a bit slow out of the pocket, and kind of loud. I have no experience operating a jet drive, so I have no idea. Have you tried one out?
I've only driven a jet drive once and it seemed to work very nice. Maneuvering a boat is just tricky until you get adequate seat time in your craft.

Jet boat launch...
As much as 20% to 40% better in most comparisons. Bottom line is jet boats have better take offs, turn better and can be operated in shallower water with no worries of hitting something under water like the stern drive boat owners have. Sterndrive boats burn less gas and are usually faster than a similar jet boat.
By fpena944
ranger22 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:10 pm

Jet drive is like an old 911 without power steering. Might be a bit of struggle at slow speeds but once you get moving they do just fine.

As for the speed, they are generally faster than traditional motors as you have less drag.
By ranger22
Well at least I have some time to locate the right satchel to ceremoniously burn the boat money and also enroll my daughters in Krav Maga.

One of things I’ve heard over the years is to buy your second boat first. That sounds so simple. Having gone through the Porsche entry drug (Cayman) because I couldn’t stomach the cost of a 911 and seen several friends do the same thing, I am certain second boat first is easier said than done.
By E55AMG
I'm a boater, and spend most of the summers on the waters of the North Fork of L.I. Some of the best boating in the world. First, regarding all the "money pit", "burn money" etc. I think it's a bit hyperbole. I used to track a 911 and trust me, there is no reasonable boat that can compare to the money burn that is a porsche race car.

Center consoles are the most popular boat and best for fishing. honestly, i'd get an outboard. easy to operate. simple to repair and reliable. a 21 foot boat you're fine with a 150HP motor. I see plenty of tubers/boarders getting pulled with outboard boats. The trend in boats the last few years is outboards. even the mega-fishing boats and cruisers up to 50 feet are going outboards.

Since the pandemic there are no boats available. prices have gone thru the roof. same goes for used boats. I'm surrounded by water here and most of the dealers have almost no inventory.

good idea on renting or going out with someone before you buy. Also, you're not wrong about buying your 2nd boat/car/etc. first. I suffer from this. In boating parlance it's called 2 foot-itis. in my case it's 10 foot-itis. i have my eyes on a new boat but it's around 500K and my wife is being a bit difficult. I'll win but it may take a bit of time.

just realized you said you're on a lake, so unless you mean the Great Lakes LOL, you don't have to really worry about rough water, which will absolutely dictate what kind of boat you need. so, you can probably get away with pretty much anything. When I think of boats i'm thinking the waters around here. i still like outboards for their ease of use and lower cost to maintain.

as far as handling/docking it's not easy. practice, practice, practice. it can get very frustrating especially when you pull up to a nice restaurant with 100's of people watching you pull into a slip with a nice shiny boat next to you.
ny991 liked this
By Airkuhl
About to start my 4th glorious boating season up here, and all I can add is that the running costs will make you forget the purchase price, so buy the best boat you can up front, it'll be worth it. I got one with a head, it was a very wife-friendly excuse to get a bigger boat with more power.
By ny991
I agree with Chris on the outboard motors. The reason alot of people are going with outboards is because of the efficiency in the new four stroke engines. Jet boats are pretty good gas guzzlers.

Also, while a jet boat can be pretty powerful, they don't stop well. A prop is a good brake, and very good for maneuvering forward and especially backwards.
By Airkuhl
E55AMG wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:38 pm
as far as handling/docking it's not easy. practice, practice, practice. it can get very frustrating especially when you pull up to a nice restaurant with 100's of people watching you pull into a slip with a nice shiny boat next to you.
Or cheat! That's what I did. :hiding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmRcH2vT0y8
By E55AMG
Airkuhl wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:55 am

been bugging my wife for a new boat and joystick will definitely be added. Is it really that much easier?
By Airkuhl
E55AMG wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:34 pm
Airkuhl wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:55 am

been bugging my wife for a new boat and joystick will definitely be added. Is it really that much easier?
If you are a seasoned driver with plenty of twin engine experience then it's mostly a convenience. If you are newer to boating and need to dock in a cross current on a choppy day, it's a game changer.

Being able to do things like crab sideways or spin 360 in your own length is useful in tight marinas, as is the ability to hold a fixed position regardless of current or wind.
By Chaos
Practice docking out in the middle of a quiet spot.
Practice trailering out in the middle of a quiet parking lot.
By 911Königin
The younger kids start 'on the water' the better.....kids will be using it a lot more than you think :thumbup: Jet boats skim across the top of the water, so you feel more of the wakes/waves. A deeper hull will dig into the water a little more, offering a smoother ride. Don't care how much of a money pit they are ~ every moment spent on one is pure bliss. You will never regret buying one..........there is one for every budget!
By AKSteve
I've been daydreaming while on vacation and kind of like the idea of getting a family sized cruising ship and spending a summer island hopping the Mediterranean. I really like the boat below. Anyone care to critique it?

It's just a dream idea at this point.
By lupo.sk
AKSteve wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:01 am I've been daydreaming while on vacation and kind of like the idea of getting a family sized cruising ship and spending a summer island hopping the Mediterranean. I really like the boat below. Anyone care to critique it?

It's just a dream idea at this point.
Why buy? Just rent. Even Croatia has a fuckton of really nice rentals, my friends always get big stuff (like 80-100ft) and it costs a fraction of what ownership would be. And they get a new one every other year…
By AKSteve
lupo.sk wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:49 am Why buy? Just rent. Even Croatia has a fuckton of really nice rentals, my friends always get big stuff (like 80-100ft) and it costs a fraction of what ownership would be. And they get a new one every other year…
I guess I like the idea of having my own boat and experiencing ongoing adventures. But I did look into rentals just now and it looks like those big boats you mentioned rent for $20k/week or more. The Marex 360 that I mentioned in my prior post was listed at $8k/week.
By linderpat
I've been thinking of a bass boat for awhile now. I just don't have a place to store it, and I don't want that extra expense. But I'd love to have a shallow hull bass boat, with a trolling motor in the front too.
By E55AMG
Just got back from the Newport Boat Show. Prices still absolutely insane and I don't see that changing much. I have seen some price drops on used boats though. If the economy tanks like many predict will be curious to see what the manufacturers do. Boats are probably the first thing scratched off the "want" list if things go to shit.
amdavid liked this
By fpena944
linderpat wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:05 am I've been thinking of a bass boat for awhile now. I just don't have a place to store it, and I don't want that extra expense. But I'd love to have a shallow hull bass boat, with a trolling motor in the front too.
I have the same issue. Want one bad but don't want to join a club (as I'll feel forced to go all the time just so I feel I made a wise investment) and I also don't have anywhere to store it. I know there is a storage place right outside of my neighborhood where people store boats and RVs but it's another expense on top of just the cost of ownership.

I'll probably give in eventually because it is something I really want but just haven't gotten around to it.
linderpat liked this
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]