Mid-engine cars
By N_Jay
Does anyone use a vacume pump to change the oil in a 987.2 (or any other)?

In some cars people claim it can actually get more oil out.

Is there even a way?
Can a tube down the filler get to the bottom of the sump?
By fpena944
N_Jay wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:31 am Does anyone use a vacume pump to change the oil in a 987.2 (or any other)?

In some cars people claim it can actually get more oil out.

Is there even a way?
Can a tube down the filler get to the bottom of the sump?
I use vacuum for bleeding brakes but not for the oil change. On some cars the drain plug could leave some oil behind but on the flat-six it's pretty much the lowest point of the engine so don't see a benefit except it might be cleaner with fewer potential spills.

Now on the 981 I do wish there was easier access to the filter itself. I think my 996 is the easiest I've ever had but only the 981 the filter is squeezed between engine, transmission, and suspension so harder to get anything other than a filter socket in there.
By N_Jay
From the videos it looks like the filter is similar for the 987.2
Yes, I will need to get under for the filter, but if I can pump out most or all the oil, it will clean up the job.

Wondering if it is even possible.
By fpena944
N_Jay wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:20 am From the videos it looks like the filter is similar for the 987.2
Yes, I will need to get under for the filter, but if I can pump out most or all the oil, it will clean up the job.

Wondering if it is even possible.
Not sure but I'd rather have the mess under the car than in it.

I know when I was putting oil into my car it felt like I was doing open-heart surgery as I didn't want to let one drop of oil end up in my trunk carpet. So the less I have to do in the car the happier I am since less risk of ruining my interior.

If the vacuum pump though is outside of the car and it's just a hose going in then that could make for an interesting and clean process for oil changes.
By linderpat
I have 2 cars where use the vacuum - my Audi A6 (2014) and my Jag F Pace (2017). Both have the oil filter on the top, and neither came with a dip stick. With the Audi, there was a tube for a dip stick, so I pulled the plug off and bought a dip stick, and pull from there with the vacuum. For the Jag, there is no dip stick tub. Instead. pull the filter and suck it up from that point. This is the fastest/cleanest way to change oil, and you do get most of it out. Most oil service shops and dealers now do it this way. Make sure the oil is warm - run the car - all of the particulate will be suspended and will be extracted. On my sports cars with oil filters under the motor, I use the drain plug, since I'd be down there anyway o change the filter.
By N_Jay
Just ordered in a new, larger/nicer drain pan.

Will order the vacuum system the next time one of the MBs needs an oil change.
By fast_freddy
Depending on the car and time of year I will vacuum the oil out. If the filter is top mounted, I have zero issue with it. I've done a comparo between the traditional method and and the differences are deminimis, in fact it's no discernible difference at all. If I have to get under the car to get at a filter I let it drip out. I'm under there anyway, so who cares? If the filter is top mounted, I can knock out a change in less than fifteen minutes.

I got my siphon at West Marine, cheaper than the auto outlets and its the exact same thing. I use a pressure bleeder on the brakes too. So much easier than the traditional two person method and bit easier/faster than vacuuming it out at the calipers. With Benzes you can do it with your scanner but thats a royal pain if you ask me.
By N_Jay
Apparently from discussions on other boards, vacuum oil changes can not be done on a 987.2.

Pil filler does not allow a tube to get to the pan, and no dipstick tube

Frack!
By i am not a traitor
linderpat wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:56 pm I have 2 cars where use the vacuum - my Audi A6 (2014) and my Jag F Pace (2017). Both have the oil filter on the top, and neither came with a dip stick. With the Audi, there was a tube for a dip stick, so I pulled the plug off and bought a dip stick, and pull from there with the vacuum. For the Jag, there is no dip stick tub. Instead. pull the filter and suck it up from that point. This is the fastest/cleanest way to change oil, and you do get most of it out. Most oil service shops and dealers now do it this way. Make sure the oil is warm - run the car - all of the particulate will be suspended and will be extracted. On my sports cars with oil filters under the motor, I use the drain plug, since I'd be down there anyway o change the filter.
I have an 2017 A4 and it doesn't have a dipstick. Why on Earth would they not include that? Is it just another attempt to get people to only use the dealer? Crazy.

I'm due for an oil change (and front pads). I just came back to this thread and glad to see that You use the vacuum method on your A4. I think I'll go that route. Which vacuum do you have?
By N_Jay
I ended up buying a pump instead of a vacuum system.
Worked like a champ.
By fast_freddy
N_Jay wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:18 pm viewtopic.php?p=210630#p210630
How does that thing work, other than the obvious "power source"? Link to where you got it.

I changed the oil on my S600 last week and got 100% of what I put in last time (after draining via the traditional method) out with a siphon system. It did take a while though (nine liters of oil does). I wouldn't mind it happening a little faster. The good news is that it doesn't burn oil. The bad news is I get to (in my crippled state) get under it this coming weekend to change out a faulty air intake temperature sensor (code) as it's running a little rich as a result of it sensing it's too hot.
By i am not a traitor
fast_freddy wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:16 am
How does that thing work, other than the obvious "power source"? Link to where you got it.

I changed the oil on my S600 last week and got 100% of what I put in last time (after draining via the traditional method) out with a siphon system. It did take a while though (nine liters of oil does). I wouldn't mind it happening a little faster. The good news is that it doesn't burn oil. The bad news is I get to (in my crippled state) get under it this coming weekend to change out a faulty air intake temperature sensor (code) as it's running a little rich as a result of it sensing it's too hot.
Which siphon do you have?
By linderpat
i am not a traitor wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:39 am
linderpat wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:56 pm I have 2 cars where use the vacuum - my Audi A6 (2014) and my Jag F Pace (2017). Both have the oil filter on the top, and neither came with a dip stick. With the Audi, there was a tube for a dip stick, so I pulled the plug off and bought a dip stick, and pull from there with the vacuum. For the Jag, there is no dip stick tub. Instead. pull the filter and suck it up from that point. This is the fastest/cleanest way to change oil, and you do get most of it out. Most oil service shops and dealers now do it this way. Make sure the oil is warm - run the car - all of the particulate will be suspended and will be extracted. On my sports cars with oil filters under the motor, I use the drain plug, since I'd be down there anyway o change the filter.
I have an 2017 A4 and it doesn't have a dipstick. Why on Earth would they not include that? Is it just another attempt to get people to only use the dealer? Crazy.

I'm due for an oil change (and front pads). I just came back to this thread and glad to see that You use the vacuum method on your A4. I think I'll go that route. Which vacuum do you have?
Any model will work. I forget what brand I have, but it is about 7 liters or so, and it works with either a hand pump or with an attachment to an air compressor to create the vacuum. I just hand pump it. For the Audi (mine's an A6), oil change is literally about 10 or 15 minutes. I go through the dip stick tube on that one. Note, I did buy a dip stick for it off ebay many years ago, since I like to see the oil rather than have the computer tell me. I don't have this option on my Jag F Pace though. Anyway, the only place where there is a potential for a bit of spillage is around the oil filter housing - make sure you wrap rags around it before twisting it off, and you'll be good to go.

Edit: Found it - https://www.amazon.com/EWK-Pneumatic-Ch ... 0JYGM&th=1
i am not a traitor liked this
By i am not a traitor
linderpat wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:33 pm
i am not a traitor wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:39 am

Any model will work. I forget what brand I have, but it is about 7 liters or so, and it works with either a hand pump or with an attachment to an air compressor to create the vacuum. I just hand pump it. For the Audi (mine's an A6), oil change is literally about 10 or 15 minutes. I go through the dip stick tube on that one. Note, I did buy a dip stick for it off ebay many years ago, since I like to see the oil rather than have the computer tell me. I don't have this option on my Jag F Pace though. Anyway, the only place where there is a potential for a bit of spillage is around the oil filter housing - make sure you wrap rags around it before twisting it off, and you'll be good to go.

Edit: Found it - https://www.amazon.com/EWK-Pneumatic-Ch ... 0JYGM&th=1
Awesome, thanks!
By N_Jay

Amazon. There are plenty that all look the same.

Says not to let it run more than 30 min.
I was being conservative and shut it off after about 15 min, and let it cool a little then ran it again.

I ran it off my spare trailer battery because I didn't want to draw down the S battery.
By fast_freddy
i am not a traitor wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:28 pm

Which siphon do you have?
Pretty much this exact one (mine is 5qt capacity) https://www.westmarine.com/west-marine- ... 47123.html. It does the trick.
i am not a traitor liked this
By XR4Tim
I still prefer draining from the pan most of the time, but I have a fluid extractor for certain vehicles and for when the lift is tied up. With the V10 S6, it does take a while to suck the oil out, and I do have to stop part way through to empty the extractor because it doesn't hold all 11 quarts.
By N_Jay
XR4Tim wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:18 pm I still prefer draining from the pan most of the time, but I have a fluid extractor for certain vehicles and for when the lift is tied up. With the V10 S6, it does take a while to suck the oil out, and I do have to stop part way through to empty the extractor because it doesn't hold all 11 quarts.
One of the reasons I got the pump.

On and of with a switch and pumps right into my disposal containers.
By linderpat
honestly, I'd prefer to use a pump all the time. Way less messy. But with cars with the oil filter underneath, and you have to lift it anyway, for those cars I just do the drain from the pan method.
By SeanR
I have this one that I use for quite a few things. I also have a hand pump one I used when changing the oil on my boat.

https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7300-Pne ... B000JFN9WW

image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
worf liked this
By worf
I’ve got one of those giant MightyVacs too. When you need it, you need it.

I’ve always thought that the point of getting the car up to change the oil isn’t to change the oil as much as it is to force you to inspect everything underneath that you wouldn’t otherwise even think about.
SeanR liked this
By i am not a traitor
Just ordered the one that @linderpat linked to. I'm excited to do it. It's been years since I did my own oil changes and look forward to doing it myself again.

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]