Where you should report and bugs or suggestions
By fpena944
Sorry for the outage, it wasn't even the fault of this site!

But I actually run the website for a fellow Porsche owner's business on this same server. In order to protect both sites I run nightly backups that get sent to a cloud server.

Well unfortunately in the case of our friend's site it kept saving the backups to his local directory as well. Early this morning the server got filled to capacity and it said "no mas" so everything came to a halt.

Chalk another one up as a learning experience. And now you all know why backups run at 2am.
By ny991
No worries, keep up the good work!

I was afraid IB flooded your server!
By ranger22
Glad it’s back up and running!
D104A9DA-8FF3-435C-8575-7DFB2FDC22BB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By fpena944
i am not a traitor wrote:Thanks for getting us back up!
My pleasure!
ny991 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:34 am No worries, keep up the good work!

I was afraid IB flooded your server!
That was my first thought too. I immediately went to my Analytics panel to see if I was being bombarded with Russian and Chinese bots!

But then I realized that the other sites were down too and immediately called support. They then told me what had happened.
ranger22 wrote:Glad it’s back up and running!
D104A9DA-8FF3-435C-8575-7DFB2FDC22BB.jpeg
Man you're so right! You don't understand the panic when I log in first thing in the morning and the site doesn't respond! It's like all hands on deck for me to get this thing back in business.

By the way, the home page of https://openroad.site uses the most basic of web code. So if that is operational then it means that whatever is wrong isn't too bad. That was the case this time but since the rest of the site is more complex it needs space to run which we didn't have.
By sundog
One client I took over setup their own backups, on their server. They would then backup the backup the next night. Lasted a week before their system tanked.

It is an unforgiving job, but we forgive you! It's hard to keep a bunch of old grumpy men happy.
By amdavid
All good, I feel your pain, its happened to me before. I have about 80 guys who rely on my $hit working everyday or they don't get paid.

Ask any systems guy that is a domain, db and network admin what they think of power outages? My latest hurdle/pain. Hard to sleep at night when the entire infrastructure of your business is "off" and you're responsible for bringing it to life BEFORE 80 blue collar works show up between 5-7am. :|
Last edited by amdavid on Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SidViscous
Had something similar. Had 12 or so netboxen in the field running headless monitoring a bunch of sensors, the reporting up to a webserver.

I installed the software and configured all of them myself. Touched nothing to do with backups. Didn't care about backups. If one failed it just install another one.

One day one just stopped reporting. Drive to NY. Hooked up monitor keyboard and mouse.

Hard drive was full. Our data load was a small text file of like 32kb every hour or so. No reason the hd should be full.

Turned out it was configured from the factory to backup to the hd every week. Did so until it fell over.
Last edited by SidViscous on Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
By fpena944
After deleting the files we gained almost 200 gigs in space!
Refurbishing D90 Wheels

Gary, hope all is well, and thanks for chiming in.[…]

The 928 Photo Thread

after many years of searching finally found a set […]

There were more 928s there, but I was happy to rem[…]

Formula 1 2020 And Beyond

My thoughts on Miami race are (I think..) simila[…]