Four cylinder transaxle cars
By fpena944
NSXguy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:39 pm While this actually makes my skin crawl, I thought I would post it here to get a read on the hive mind;

https://stories.app.goo.gl/saJh

Brian
I like that they did all they could to maintain the same weight and balance of the car. Even though it does suffer in terms of range but preserving the personality of the 944 is critical or else it just isn't what it claims to be.

I'm somewhat torn as the nerd in me loves the engineering and fact that you can't tell when looking at a glance. But even though it was just a 4-cylinder I still loved the sound my S2 used to put out. Something that I would definitely miss by going pure electric.

So on the fence as I like how it was done, but would probably miss the personality of the 944 if I did such a conversion.
By Gregs04.5
I'd take it, My first Porsche was a 944, so there will always be part of me that likes that car. The only thing I did not like was the 175 hp 4 banger, but if a 300 hp option is there, :drunk:

Greg
By fpena944
Gregs04.5 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:14 pm I'd take it, My first Porsche was a 944, so there will always be part of me that likes that car. The only thing I did not like was the 175 hp 4 banger, but if a 300 hp option is there, :drunk:

Greg
I think getting to 300 with a turbo is pretty easy. But it's peaky power so that might not be to your liking. What do you think of those who put Chevy small blocks in them? One of my former mechanics used to run a "hybrid" on the track, that thing was fast and sounded mean!
By Gregs04.5
There's a few v8 (948's) 944's around here, sound is not what's expected from that car, but pretty cool nonetheless.
For all the naysayers out there, I suppose you've never made changes to your house that the architect had in the original plans, including paint?

Greg
By Scott at Team Harco
Gregs04.5 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:53 pm There's a few v8 (948's) 944's around here, sound is not what's expected from that car, but pretty cool nonetheless.
For all the naysayers out there, I suppose you've never made changes to your house that the architect had in the original plans, including paint?

Greg
First, that analogy isn't particularly valid. No big deal. My negative comment needed more qualification.

My choice would not be electric. I have driven a V8 powered 944. Fun, but not properly balanced.

This conversion is much more in-line with what I would consider. And I am only speaking for myself.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco on Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XR4Tim liked this
By fpena944
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:23 pm
Gregs04.5 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:53 pm There's a few v8 (948's) 944's around here, sound is not what's expected from that car, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Greg
First, that analogy isn't particularly valid. No big deal. My negative comment needed more qualification.

My choice would not be electric. I driven a V8 powered 944. Fun, but not properly balanced.

This conversion is much more in-line with what I would consider. And I am only speaking for myself.

When my 944 S2 hit around 150k miles I was considering doing a V8 swap. I even visited Renegade Hybrids in Vegas and they took me for a ride in a V8 914.

Their claim was that since the 944 block was iron and the new Chevy V8s were aluminum, the weight distribution would be the same. But maybe by balance you meant too much power changing the 944's handling characteristics? I know without a tight suspension the car would squat a LOT under acceleration.

Ultimately I ended up just moving on from the 944 to the 996 and forgot about the swap. But with my 996 now surpassing 180k miles, there's an option for the same engine in that chassis now too. Hmmm.... :evilgrin:
By Scott at Team Harco
Iron block 944? I hope you ran, not walked, away from them.

The V8 944 probably needed suspension tuning. It had little compliance and could have used stickier tires. I agreed with the owner's logic on his tire choice. Weak links more likely to be compromised with more grip.
NSXguy, SeaCay liked this
By NSXguy
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:41 pm Iron block 944? I hope you ran, not walked, away from them.

The V8 944 probably needed suspension tuning. It had little compliance and could have used stickier tires. I agreed with the owner's logic on his tire choice. Weak links more likely to be compromised with more grip.
This is the very reason we don't run super sticky tires on our turbo NSX, the upstream components are geometrically more $pendy to maintain otherwise :hitfan:
By fpena944
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:41 pm Iron block 944? I hope you ran, not walked, away from them.

Yeah I haven't had contact with them since.

Speaking of which, I used my 996 extensively this weekend and there's no way I'd replace my sweet sounding M96 with a Chevy V8 - even if it means less power and increased maintenance!
By amdavid
I'm okay with an LS powered 944, in fact, done right I think it's the ultimate redneck exotic. However, anything but a flat 6 in a 911 is sacrilegious.
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]