Watercooled 911s
By AKSteve
The lock has failed on the gas door flap on my 992 C4S. I found the emergency release pull, pulled it...and nothing happened. Pulled on it harder....and it snapped. I tried prying the damn door flap open with a plastic butter knife and some chop sticks to no avail and eventually had to bring it to the dealership. They diagnosed a broken lock, filled my car up with gas for free and told me the parts were on order.

That was back on November 19th and the parts are still on order. I need gas again and I'm going to head back to to dealership tomorrow to request another refill. I guess they have to put the car on the lift and take the front tire off to open the gas door flap. And then do it all over again to close it in the locked position after the tank has been filled
By Cuda911
Ouch! I wonder why the cable wouldn't open it. When you pull the cable, you don't feel or hear any release. Just gently tug it and see if the door opens.
By AKSteve
Cuda911 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:11 pm Ouch! I wonder why the cable wouldn't open it. When you pull the cable, you don't feel or hear any release. Just gently tug it and see if the door opens.
Oh, I did everything the manual said to do. You're supposed to pull on the cord while pushing on the front edge of the door flap. Nothing happened. I kept doing that while pulling progressively harder until the emergency cable snapped. The emergency release, btw, is impossible to reach by hand. It's inside the door hinge of the passenger door. I had to daisy chain a couple of zip ties and get one to close around the pull before I could even yank on the emergency release.
By fpena944
AKSteve wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:52 pm The lock has failed on the gas door flap on my 992 C4S. I found the emergency release pull, pulled it...and nothing happened. Pulled on it harder....and it snapped. I tried prying the damn door flap open with a plastic butter knife and some chop sticks to no avail and eventually had to bring it to the dealership. They diagnosed a broken lock, filled my car up with gas for free and told me the parts were on order.

That was back on November 19th and the parts are still on order. I need gas again and I'm going to head back to to dealership tomorrow to request another refill. I guess they have to put the car on the lift and take the front tire off to open the gas door flap. And then do it all over again to close it in the locked position after the tank has been filled
Wow what a hassle!

Any ETA on when the part should arrive?

Who knew the little flap would be so secure? I know they don't really feel that way when you lightly tug on them.
By AKSteve
fpena944 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:43 pm Wow what a hassle!

Who knew the little flap would be so secure? I know they don't really feel that way when you lightly tug on them.
Yeah, it sucks. If I was out of town, the only option would be to break the door flap off. They've changed the lock on recent Porsches. My older cars just had a little plastic rod or tab that would shoot out and hold the door flap closed. You could easily pop that open if you wanted to. The new lock is a rod (see image below) that pushes out into a hole in the gas door flap and then twists to lock. You can't physically pry it open anymore. No idea why the emergency release pull didn't work.

Anyway, the new lock showed up today, so I'll be good to go soon.

By fpena944
AKSteve wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:41 pm
fpena944 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:43 pm Wow what a hassle!

Yeah, it sucks. If I was out of town, the only option would be to break the door flap off. They've changed the lock on recent Porsches. My older cars just had a little plastic rod or tab that would shoot out and hold the door flap closed. You could easily pop that open if you wanted to. The new lock is a rod (see image below) that pushes out into a hole in the gas door flap and then twists to lock. You can't physically pry it open anymore. No idea why the emergency release pull didn't work.

Anyway, the new lock showed up today, so I'll be good to go soon.

Yeah I often forget my newest Porsche is already 7 years old so I'm sure a lot has changed!

Glad to hear the part has arrived. What an unusual failure but glad you'll be back on the road again.
By AKSteve
Still out of commission. Apparently I broke something or other when trying to pry the fuel door open. I should have my car back on the road…next Wednesday. Grrrrr!

Message from the service advisor this afternoon:
“Steven, my tech got the lock installed however it wasn't locking properly. He found that the housing for the filler neck has one of it's tabs broken off likely from being pryed on. It will need to be ordered and vehicle unfortunately won't be able to be driven without it sitting properly as the cover won't be on”

This is all pretty embarrassing for a new car this expensive.
By AKSteve
Yay! I can put gas in my car again! Hooray!
By Cuda911
Hooray! Now, can you still afford it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By AKSteve
Wow! That is goddamn expensive. Gas prices seem to have peaked here at around $3.70/gal for regular unleaded. It's pretty amazing how flat the price was in 2020 right up until when Joe Biden took office in January '21 and then the price took off.

By fpena944
Cuda911 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:27 pm Hooray! Now, can you still afford it?
Wow! I know here in NC I paid $4.99 for premium on the CTT the other day. So I guess only $1 more in CA isn't too bad...
By N_Jay
Why couldn't they just remove the cover till the part came in?
By AKSteve
N_Jay wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:46 am Why couldn't they just remove the cover till the part came in?
Because it would look all jankity and ghetto? Actually, I never asked. They just said it couldn't be driven without the cover on. Anyway, it's good as new again.
N_Jay liked this
By AKSteve
milrad wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:01 pm Cuz people driving around with the door open never happens…. :biggrin:
One of the most shocking things I've ever seen was a guy driving a car and he was so fat that the driver's door couldn't fully close. So he had it bungee corded to the center console somehow. I was right behind him and and every time he would make a turn, the door would partially swing open. What a sad sight that was.
By amdavid
AKSteve wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:49 am
milrad wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:01 pm Cuz people driving around with the door open never happens…. :biggrin:
One of the most shocking things I've ever seen was a guy driving a car and he was so fat that the driver's door couldn't fully close. So he had it bungee corded to the center console somehow. I was right behind him and and every time he would make a turn, the door would partially swing open. What a sad sight that was.
...and comical. I'm sorry but if you have to bungee cord your drivers door shut because you're too large to fit in YOUR car, I'm going to laugh.
By fpena944
What kind of car?

I do find it funny when HUGE people drive tiny cars. You can almost hear the car groan when they plop down! :roflmao:
By AKSteve
fpena944 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:10 pm
What kind of car?

I do find it funny when HUGE people drive tiny cars. You can almost hear the car groan when they plop down! :roflmao:
Smallish, like a Nissan Sentra. He probably would've fit into a pickup truck. There was a guy in my neighborhood who looked just like movie director Kevin Smith who used to drive around in a tiny Mercedes Smart Car. I used to get a good laugh every time I saw him. I don't even want to think about what would happen if he got into an accident.
By fpena944
AKSteve wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:31 pm I don't even want to think about what would happen if he got into an accident.
Well he does have built-in airbags!
AKSteve liked this
By milrad
Lol I meant the gas flap door. It's ridiculous that the dealer told you you couldn't drive it with the gas flap door missing.

But your story was way funnier!
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]