General discussions related to cars and driving
By Erik N
Winterized the pump.
20211014_165700.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By NSXguy
Since we often store a couple friends' cars as well, we tend to get our toys put away a little earlier.
This year, that process has already started.....considering how cool and wet this Fall has been here.
By Crisis
Yup. Plates expired yesterday on the Solstice. Will do a wash in the driveway this weekend, then it goes to sleep for the winter.
By Erik N
Crisis wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:37 pm Yup. Plates expired yesterday on the Solstice. Will do a wash in the driveway this weekend, then it goes to sleep for the winter.
I usually wait to do that for a nice, low-humidity day, then take it out to blow dry it before storage.
I got pulled over after a 120+mph spurt in Idaho, in the 928. I explained to the cop that I was drying it out, he let me off the hook. :thumbup:
By ny991
We’ve had good weather here so it’s been a good run. Weather seems to be changing this week so need to take a run and work some K100 into the fuel system and get it in the barn.
By Scott at Team Harco
What's this - put 'em away - noise?

AKSteve, SeaCay, Flat6Noise and 3 others liked this
By fast_freddy
Usually around Thanksgiving for us. It'll certainly snow long before then, the roads are usually clear by 9:00AM and dry though. I winterized my daughters car (Miata) the other day which will find its way into the garage on dollies in a week with a cover and a battery tender and fuel treatment. It'll get stored perpendicular to the bays with the Cayman S keeping it company in a few weeks time. I've got too much crap in the garage now with a purge coming on Saturday taking a 55" CRT TV and some tires to the dump. It's only 24'x24' and suitable for only two cars tucked into the corner with enough room for other garage stuffs that are needed or even a car in the bay near the house to work on but it's very tight with all my wifes freezers. The DD's will live outside for the winter including my sons that'll stay home from christmas break until April while he's at school.

Anyone need any Turbo Twist wheels?
By tooloud10
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:31 pm What's this - put 'em away - noise?
I don't understand either. :smile:

This was after a quick trip to Chicago and I was glad to have the right car.
03-04-2013 iPhone 5 170.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By tooloud10
Hey @David993S I'm actually intrigued by your garage setup. There appears to be an area separating the two 2-car garages, and I'm not sure I've seen anything like that before. I'm desperately seeking a new garage solution--can you describe yours?
By David993S
tooloud10 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:22 pm Hey @David993S I'm actually intrigued by your garage setup. There appears to be an area separating the two 2-car garages, and I'm not sure I've seen anything like that before. I'm desperately seeking a new garage solution--can you describe yours?
Better yet, PM me your email address and I'll send you the floorplan.
tooloud10 liked this
By Airkuhl
I have one car that gets bagged for the winter. I detail it, cover it, plug in the trickle charger and pump the tires to 50 psi. Once a month or so, I'll pull it out on a nice day and take a short drive if the roads are clear or at least let it idle up to minimum running temps. I don't use any fuel treatment as modern gas lasts for years, so an idle Winter doesn't make any difference, but I do try to use non-ethanol gas.

The rest get winter tires and maybe run through a touchless car wash once a month until Spring.

I usually cover my aluminum trailer out of habit, but this winter I'll just let the snow build up on it and see if it matters. I'm going to guess no.
By linderpat
Airkuhl wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:15 am I have one car that gets bagged for the winter. I detail it, cover it, plug in the trickle charger and pump the tires to 50 psi. Once a month or so, I'll pull it out on a nice day and take a short drive if the roads are clear or at least let it idle up to minimum running temps. I don't use any fuel treatment as modern gas lasts for years, so an idle Winter doesn't make any difference, but I do try to use non-ethanol gas.

The rest get winter tires and maybe run through a touchless car wash once a month until Spring.

I usually cover my aluminum trailer out of habit, but this winter I'll just let the snow build up on it and see if it matters. I'm going to guess no.
Very similar to my pattern. On both the 928 and 997, I also do dryer sheets and damp rid on the inside, and moth balls underneath and a couple in the engine bay. I do not drive either until I pull them out (With overinflated tires, and everything else, that would be a real PIA). I do add Stabil. On the 997, trickle charger/maintainer. On the 928, pull the battery and store it inside in a warm place. I put them both away last weekend and the weekend before.
By David993S
linderpat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:08 am
Airkuhl wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:15 am I have one car that gets bagged for the winter. I detail it, cover it, plug in the trickle charger and pump the tires to 50 psi. Once a month or so, I'll pull it out on a nice day and take a short drive if the roads are clear or at least let it idle up to minimum running temps. I don't use any fuel treatment as modern gas lasts for years, so an idle Winter doesn't make any difference, but I do try to use non-ethanol gas.

Very similar to my pattern. On both the 928 and 997, I also do dryer sheets and damp rid on the inside, and moth balls underneath and a couple in the engine bay. I do not drive either until I pull them out (With overinflated tires, and everything else, that would be a real PIA). I do add Stabil. On the 997, trickle charger/maintainer. On the 928, pull the battery and store it inside in a warm place. I put them both away last weekend and the weekend before.

Seems as if a number of people pull the battery on their 928 as opposed to just connecting a battery maintainer. I've never owned a 928 so I'm wondering if there's a particular reason for this?
By linderpat
Yes. The battery is in the rear hatch under a cover that is under the spare tire. A real pia to get to. You can put the charger onto the jump post up front in the engine bay, then clip the negative terminal of the charger to the cross brace bolt, but overall, I don’t like that set up, because there is a lot of cable and other components between these points. Much prefer to pull the battery
Rear Brake line Seized

Hi Guys, I want to change the soft lines for the […]

New Yokohama tires now available in 16"

I've got the P Zero Rossos, which I'm happy with. […]

Plan would be a light coat under the nut, a well[…]

Thanks for getting back to us.