Racing, Drivers Education, autocross, and other motorsports
By fpena944
So I have a lead on a Gen 1 Boxster being offered for under $5k.

Yes I know the old saying that a cheap Porsche is an expensive Porsche. But my thought here was what if I take my time to build this thing into a autocross and DE machine?

Keep in mind I've always tracked my relatively stock 996 (suspension, brakes, and exhaust have been upgraded but all else stock) so it's not like I'll be going from a prepped race car to a street model.

Given this position, is it even worth considering something this cheap? Supposedly it runs and is mostly cosmetically challenged. But of course at this price I'm sure there are some other hidden surprises.

What does everyone think?
By N_Jay
fpena944 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:37 pm So I have a lead on a Gen 1 Boxster being offered for under $5k.

Yes I know the old saying that a cheap Porsche is an expensive Porsche. But my thought here was what if I take my time to build this thing into a autocross and DE machine?

Keep in mind I've always tracked my relatively stock 996 (suspension, brakes, and exhaust have been upgraded but all else stock) so it's not like I'll be going from a prepped race car to a street model.

Given this position, is it even worth considering something this cheap? Supposedly it runs and is mostly cosmetically challenged. But of course at this price I'm sure there are some other hidden surprises.

What does everyone think?
From what I have read, the early engine had some issues that could get expensive.

But what the hell, go for it!
By David993S
I can assure you it is much less expensive in the long run to buy an "existing" race car/track car than to build one from scratch. And I'm not even factoring in what kind of issues a well-used street car may have. Do yourself a favor and buy someone else's track car for 30 cents on their dollar to build.
E55AMG liked this
By Scott at Team Harco
That's a common question.

So to answer your question, I have several for you.

Do you have the time and ability to develop a car yourself? There are plenty of basics, that most guys know about and can handle. Tires, brakes, suspension/alignment are good starters.

At $5k, it's hard to go wrong. At least, until the engine blows up. Is the IMSB a known issue on the engine in the Boxster? Has the car in question had that addressed?

On the other hand, if you buy someone else's toy - unless you get firsthand experience with it, you may be buying someone else's problem. Or - you many get a good jump-start on getting where you want to be.

There's no single answer. Lot's of analysis and test drives (if possible) can help clear things up.

I personally built many cars that I used for many forms of competition. It's not for everyone. It did work well for me. Best of luck. :beerchug:
By Multi21
From personal experience, buy an existing car that was set up for the track and then have it inspected by a shop, ask me how I know. Everything may seem in order but people who typically sell their track cars have used the consumables and a few other items, know they're going to sell and don't do the maintenance. It's like buying a house. If the A/C is old and on it's last leg, then that an area to negotiate.

Just a quick note, when I was looking to buy a Boxster for the track, my mechanic told me to go for the S and not the base. Apparently the tranny on the base is so weak, they go out quite often. THe S is much more robust for track duty. Good luck!
By fpena944
I dug a little deeper and here is the whole story:

- Car has been parked for the last year
- Needs battery
- Headlights are quite oxidized
- Clear coat burnt through on both trunks

So cosmetically it needs a little bit of work, yeah I know for a track car that doesn't matter but then again I don't want something that looks like rent-a-wreck (especially if I'm going to put the Open Road logo all over it). The owner says it needs a tune up. Of course that could mean any number of things so it might start as a $4k Boxster but end up being a $10k Boxster quickly.

As tempting as it is I think I'm going to pass because the timing isn't right for me. I plan on building another garage and at that point I can have a project on my hands. But right now I only have a two car garage and two other Porsches. Plus all of my tools are still in storage because of the aforementioned lack of space. Granted I could lean on my dad for some help but he has quite a full setup too with his four cars.

Maybe next season I'll be ready and will pursue a track car project that someone else got started on.

But if anyone is interested I can pass along contact information!
By E55AMG
Friends don't let friends build a race car. Buy one that's already been done.
By Cuda911
I paid $4,200 for my first track Boxster. Ran the hell out of it for two years, and sold it for $3,500. Left it 100% stock though. Are you looking to do a Spec conversion?

Paid $7,500 for current car, and have spent a ton on it since then. Kinda depends on what you want to end up with
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David993S liked this
By XR4Tim
There are a lot of factors to consider. You will spend a lot of money building a stock car into a track car, and a lot of time as well. There will be some trial and error with parts and fine tuning the setup.
With a car that's already built, you will save a lot of money on parts and labor out of the gate, but when things break (and they will), unless the build is very well-documented, you will have the headaches of figuring out what the builder did, what parts they used, and what you need to do to get it working again. There is no PET for a modified car.
milrad liked this
By fpena944
My plan, at least for now, is to just take the stock Cayman out on the track and see if I like the feel of it.

If so, I might make minor mods but ultimately will probably look for a mid-engine dedicated car to scratch the itch. Already built as many of you have suggested.

But right now just dreaming, for now I have see if I prefer the mid-engine layout to the 911 I've been driving for more than the past decade!
Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]